Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
viperphi
Level 7

Re: Netflix won't start - Roku Streaming Stick 3800

Lol to Netflix "support"...

Transcript:

You
Netflix Error NW-6-406~~https://help.netflix.com/en/node/61979

Christian Netflix
Hi Chris here.

You
Hello.

Christian Netflix
Reading your message right now.

Christian Netflix
thank you for reaching out to us about this.

Christian Netflix
If you experience the error code NW-6-406, it typically points to a network connectivity issue that is preventing your device from reaching the Netflix service.

Christian Netflix
now please follow all the steps for Roku on this link Click Here

Christian Netflix
I've also sent you the link on your email so that you have a copy. Smiley Happy

Christian Netflix
Let me send you an email with a link to our HELP CENTER for any questions that you may have for Netflix in the future okay. Remember to click that link instead okay? Smiley Happy

You
The network works. Netflix works on all other Roku's. Amazon Instant Video/Hulu/Directv Now works. I have reset the Roku. I have removed the app and reinstalled netflix. I have changed the IP address to the Roku. Still doesn't work.

You
I already did the steps on that link before reaching out.

Christian Netflix
then if the issue still persists please follow the last one which is What should I do next?

Christian Netflix
getting intouch with your internet provider.

Christian Netflix
Do not let them go without you connecting to your netflix okay?

Christian Netflix
Let me send you an email with a link to our HELP CENTER for any questions that you may have for Netflix in the future okay. Remember to click that link instead okay? Smiley Happy

Christian Netflix
Since we pretty much covered everything here, would there be anything else that I can help you with--so I can save you a call or chat in the future?

You
You haven't helped me at all or even attempted to help. My internet provider and network are not the issue. Every other device, including Netflix on other Roku's works.

Christian Netflix
Exactly.

Christian Netflix
Which only means that your netflix is working fine because it works on your other devices right?

You
The other devices have a different firmware version!

You
This isn't a network issue. This is a software issue.

You
This is some Reddit material right here.

Christian Netflix
and the only device giving you the issue is your Roku. So you have 2 options here, either contact your internet provider so that they can do advance troubleshooting steps or contact Roku so that they can replace your Roku device.

Christian Netflix
We actually do not have any current issue or outages with roku.

Christian Netflix
and the error code that you got pertains to network connectivity issue. Click Here

Christian Netflix
So all you need to do now is follow the steps that is indicated in the link that I have sent you and posted here as well.

You
I'll return the Roku. Thank you for this enlightening customer service experience! I wan't claiming any outage. I clearly stated that Netflix was working on other devices. Further, my own research on Reddit help forums showed this is a firmware issue with the tech saying to reach out if the issue was still experienced. So here I am. Have a great day cutting and pasting links.

Christian Netflix
I am sorry you feel that way.

Christian Netflix
but you have already uninstalled/reistalled the app on the Roku and clearly it's giving the same error code.

Christian Netflix
I am assisting you the best way possible and we are basing it on the error that you got. and that error clearly points out to a connectivity concern.

Christian Netflix
That is the steps that we need to do to isolate the concern and not base it on other 3rd party sites.

Christian Netflix
Just checking, are you still with me?

You
Yes, I'm just taking screenshots of this.

Christian Netflix
sure no worries

Christian Netflix
you actually do not need to do that because you can request the whole transcript after our chat.

You
3rd party sites are how things get fixed, sir.

Christian Netflix
it will be sent to your email address.

Christian Netflix
Kindly contact either your internet provider or Roku okay?

Christian Netflix
Would there be anything else?
0 Kudos
Humpert5C
Level 7

Is there a way to revert back to the last app that was working until Netflix fixes the issue? It would be nice if Netflix provided updates or at least acknowledged that whey are working on it. Why does it only effect the 3800 and no the other models, I thought it was the same hardware as the 3810 aside from the increased memory needed for 4k support. 
0 Kudos
StreamSurfer
Level 7

Contacted Netflix support as suggested. Tried as many troubleshooting steps as my patience would allow, with no luck. In conversation, the rep said that Netflix does not actually provide the Roku app updates—that they’re really coded and released by Roku with Netflix’s blessing. So he put the ball entirely in Roku’s court. This stick is going back to Amazon.
0 Kudos
viperphi
Level 7

Netflix software isn't hard coded so I imagine it gets updates. The current build is dated April 3, 2018. The app icon has changed colors with new builds on previous generations if I recall correctly. The CSR's just make things up.

This very well could be hardware related, however, since previous purchasers of the device don't appear to be complaining about loss of Netflix.
0 Kudos
Beardsy
Level 7

Just got mine in the mail today.  Same exact issues.  All other apps work fine and stream perfect.  Same error code with Netflix.  Fix your app already.  Notice how the bad Netflix reviews on amazon perfectly coincide with the last app update date...hmmmmmmmmmm...i wonder were the issue lies.
0 Kudos
viperphi
Level 7

You should RMA it. Roku acknowledges the problem exists. Netflix does not acknowledge there is an issue. No issue means no work on a resolution. It's unfortunate. First bad Roku experience after purchasing ten of them for friends and family over the years. Netflix customer service should be embarrassed by their responses.
0 Kudos
Beardsy
Level 7

Yea I think I will do that based on everything I'm reading.  Shame.
0 Kudos
StreamSurfer
Level 7

So here’s the deal: It’s a batch of defective Roku hardware. I processed an Amazon return but chose a credit rather than a replacement, fearing I’d get another bad one from Amazon’s warehouse. Then I went to a local Best Buy and bought the same 3800 model. Identical packaging, same price. It works perfectly. Including Netflix.

Bad 3800:
S/N CT382E985474
Lot# 2189027242

Good 3800:
S/N CT37DE521548
Lot# 2189026221
Hope this info helps Roku own up to the problem and exchange Amazon’s inventory.
0 Kudos
Beardsy
Level 7

The bad lot number does indeed match mine.  Thanks for the info!  Doing an RMA now.  I'll check out the local stores for a different lot.
0 Kudos
Robbo79
Level 7

StreamSurfer, thank you!! Checked my lot number, sure enough, it was the same. Picked one up at best buy today, and it works like a charm.
0 Kudos