Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jprice1986
Level 7

Re: Netflix won't start - Roku Streaming Stick 3800

I returned the streaming stick, bought the streaming stick+ and it worked immediately.
0 Kudos
kataritchie
Level 7

Same problem setting up my sisters Roku 3800x. This seems to be a new model even though the part from Amazon was the same and they look identical (Roku Stick 2017) to the two rw's I set up at my house a couple weeks ago. Those sticks have no issues. I used the same Internet provider, same cable modem, same router and all other services (Hulu, Amazon Prime, youtube, CW, Roku channel) work fine on her stick. Her older Chromecast and her phone and Ipad all can use netflix as well. I checked the last firmware update on my 3800's that are working and they are March 21st. 

Network test shows as fine in the Netflix app but I get the same code error as the other people here. Also tried rebooting, resetting routers, cable modem and stick, changing router DNS to Google's (seems like the app already does that by default with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Definitely will be having her stay with Roku but is it this particular model that has the problem? Will there be a firmware fix soon, does the netflix app need an update or should I try to find some older model Stick's local. Any communication would be nice. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
StreamSurfer
Level 7

Exact same issue with 3800 I got from Amazon today. No problems with old Roku 3600 or new TCL Roku TV. Will keep 3800 for a couple days hoping for a Roku firmware update or Netflix app update; otherwise it’s going back.
0 Kudos
StreamSurfer
Level 7

Just posted a cautionary review on Amazon and found MANY recent buyers have cited the same Netflix issue. Perhaps it’s just a defective batch of sticks? Does anyone at Roku read these forums?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"StreamSurfer" wrote:
Just posted a cautionary review on Amazon and found MANY recent buyers have cited the same Netflix issue. Perhaps it’s just a defective batch of sticks? Does anyone at Roku read these forums?

I'm really surprised nobody from Roku has answered the concerns in this post.. they do read these posts, and daily for that matter.

I'd say it's not a defective bunch, but perhaps a bad firmware release or something wrong with Netflix's code vs some sticks.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
viperphi
Level 7

I'm surprised as well. I didn't expect a weekend response when I experienced the issue, but I figured there would be some news when business resumed. I have an RMA should it not be resolved. Might try the Nvidia Shield but the Roku is so easy for the family to navigate.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Try temporarily disabling your router's firewall, or placing the Roku in a DMZ.  See if the error continues to happen.  If it does NOT happen, then the issue is likely at the router level.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
viperphi
Level 7

I disabled my Asus RT-AC86U's firewall and ran the Netflix app again and still received error code NW-6-406. This is not an internal network error or the ISP. Netflix functions on every other Roku in the house that is not a 3800 including two old 3500 models tested, two currently used 3600 models and a new Streaming Stick+. All other apps on the 3800 are functioning. Only Netflix fails. Netflix own internal network test gives all green check marks.
0 Kudos
viperphi
Level 7

Some additional information...

Netflix Version 5.0 build 80821014
Issue: Netflix gives error code NW-6-406 every time I attempt to start the application on a brand new Roku 3800R.
Steps to Reproduce: Start Netflix app. Error. Every time.

3800R Serial: YF00EH067632 
Software Version: 8.0.1 build 4090-55

Internet connection is via wireless on a Spectrum Cable 100mbps line. 
Signal Strength: Excellent Connection: HDMI 1080p

I have factory reset the Roku several times, issue doesn't go away. I have removed Netflix app and reinstalled, issue doesn't go away. I have reset modem and router, issue doesn't go away. I have setup a static IP for the Roku, issue doesn't go away. I have run Netflix in app network test and got all green check marks. I have disabled router firewall and issue continues.

Date for Netflix current firmware version is 4/3/2018. Amazon reviews citing Netflix not working appear after this date from what I can see.

All other apps on Roku work as expected.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I've spoken with CS about this issue tonight.  It's already been brought to Netflix's attention.  Those experiencing the issue should contact Netflix support.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos