Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bacon
Level 9

Re: Netflix update?

Why are the stats so important?

They still have the sample video available that shows you how quick you ramp up to 1080p.

They also have been re-encoding all of their videos again to have variable bitrates, so you won't be getting the constant 5800kbps anymore either.
0 Kudos
elwaylite
Level 7

"Bacon" wrote:
Why are the stats so important?

They still have the sample video available that shows you how quick you ramp up to 1080p.

They also have been re-encoding all of their videos again to have variable bitrates, so you won't be getting the constant 5800kbps anymore either.

As someone who had slow internet  (5mbps down) trying to watch on a 65", it is convenient if you notice degradation to see what you are getting, and maybe punt and watch later if you have PQ issues. I know have 150 down so I dont even care. 
There is another solution now that helps some, go into settings, help, and then network test on the app. it tests 3 servers and then does a speed test. You can see what Netflix is reporting you are getting with that device at that time, so you will know how your performance will do. This is also helpful in comparing 2.4 ghz vs 5 ghz, etc... performance, as well as location.
Finally, the built in hidden wifi meter on Rokus is also helpful in placement if you are having signal issues.

As far as the test videos, the work too, but what they dont show you is when you dont ramp up to 1080, or 2160, why... I have seen older devices hang at 480p not because of speed, but because the app needed to be restarted. If you are dealing with borderline speeds, every little bit helps and what did it "hurt" netflix to leave the debug menu there that was on most devices?
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

I just noticed I have the new updated Netflix on my Ulktra now as well. Seems so far like it is remembering I have 4k and shows the 4kl title bars now. Yea I don't like the idea having to stop the show to change audio choices but to be honest I don't think I have ever done that so no big deal. Only thing missing is the diagnostic thing showing.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
mikeyts
Level 7

This variant has spread like a virus through my devices and is now on this smart TV, my Roku Premiere+, my TiVo Bolt and my Fire TV Stick; it is not on my Roku 3, TiVo Premiere, Xbox One S or Xbox 360 (I don't know how they'll implement it on the consoles, since the control scheme is somewhat different; you hit the B button to stop playback and go back to the description and click the right stick to display the debug display, a key rarely used even in games).  Given this rapid spread I have to think that they're distributing it widely and that it will be permanent.  No more access to the debug stream info display on probably most devices.

For those who don't know what we're talking about, Westly-C posted a picture of it on AVS Forums which you can see in my post here (I'd post it here but it's larger than allowed by this forum software). 
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

All you have to do is resize the pic...
Here it is.

I personally don't find it that bad. Looks pretty clean and I can live without the debugging thing.
0 Kudos
mikeyts
Level 7

"rockou" wrote:
All you have to do is resize the pic...

I'm aware.  But then you have to post the resized image in the cloud somewhere (as you did to imgur) so you can use it with [img] tags in this forum.  Way too much trouble at that moment.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

Took maybe 15 seconds and that's including having Imgur resize it for me.

[youtube:uhdjwwfc]GD6qtc2_AQA[/youtube:uhdjwwfc]
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

Last night it forgot I had 4k again as the 4k Ultra HD title bars disappeared. A quick reload of Netflix brought them back but I wish you didn't have to keep doing this. Come on Netflix, fix it.
0 Kudos
pan111
Level 7

A possible reason they have dropped the diagnostics (240, 480, 720, etc and time stamp) is so that you aren't aware of how badly their streaming speeds are in some areas. I mean, you can no longer chat with netflix and say "I'm only getting 240!, what's the problem?" Maybe they don't want you to accurately know how bad it is in some regions
0 Kudos
jameselliott
Level 7

"jim.elliott" wrote:
I can confirm (Roku 3 4200X here) that Netflix has implemented a new UI.  The * no longer does anything.  I miss not being able to check the resolution, etc.  That annoying "feature" Netflix put in place a while ago of starting a movie or show automatically if you just click on it to read its synopsis without actually clicking play is still there, as well.  Netflix doesn't care about customer satisfaction.  I've cancelled my account.

Okay.  These clowns have at least brought the * button's functionality back, allowing you to check resolution, etc.  The fix I posted here in September, 2015, however, regarding credit-shrinking no longer works, though.
0 Kudos