Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
8traxrule
Level 7

Re: Netflix update?

What's different about it?
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

"cosmoxl" wrote:
really weird then.  I also have 4.2 build 132 yet the user interface is certainly different from what it used to be.  I didn't change anything to cause it.

Have you tried a reboot? Maybe something got messed up. If that doesn't help, try deleting then reinstalling it, maybe with a reboot between, just to be safe.
0 Kudos
Bacon
Level 9

They might just be testing a UI update to a small number of people. There's an Amazon UI update out for a small number of users too. 
0 Kudos
cosmoxl
Level 7

"Bacon" wrote:
They might just be testing a UI update to a small number of people. There's an Amazon UI update out for a small number of users too. 

can the UI change for an app like Netflix without being a different build from what others have? I wouldn't think so.  but, I had wondered that.
0 Kudos
Bacon
Level 9

"cosmoxl" wrote:
"Bacon" wrote:

can the UI change for an app like Netflix without being a different build from what others have? I wouldn't think so.  but, I had wondered that.

Looks like it since I got the update today without a new build. Netflix can do a lot more with how it delivers video and push updates since it's an NDK app afiak.

It's functionally pretty much the same as the old one except the progress bar is transparent and it pauses the video when switching audio feeds or enabling subtitles. No better or worse the the old one, but just a bit slicker looking.
0 Kudos
Wolfeman0101
Level 7

I got the updated too. The UI is slicker but losing the * button bringing up info sucks and the new subtitles are AWFUL!
0 Kudos
Bacon
Level 9

The * button still brings up the debug on my Roku 3.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

I haven't noticed anything new as far as an update. I have a Roku 3. I do spend a lot of time on Netflix so I am curious as to any minor/major updates that might be made. One feature I have started taking advantage of on their website is to make suggestions on things to add to the service. 

Although Netflix is investing significantly in the development of original content (As they should), I do hope they start adding some classic TV shows and more classic/hard to find movies that I haven't been able to find on other subscription based services or on the digital stores. I am particularly a fan of the original Law & Order series and NYPD Blue. I know Netflix had the original L&O a while back, not sure on the exact time, but I know it has been a couple of years since it was taken off Netflix. As far as NYPD Blue, it was on Amazon for years, but was taken off without notice recently. It would be good if Netflix could add those shows as a way to take advantage of whatever rights Amazon lost in terms of it's Prime tier.  I also wouldn't be against the idea of re-adding George Carlin's standup shows.  I subscribed to Seeso during the summer with the expectation seeing as it is a comedy-centric service of seeing classic standup, but I have been dissapointed with the selection so far.

I haven't decided to cancel my subscription because I know it takes time for a new service to gain traction, but I think for a comedy-centric streaming service to not offer much in the form of classic standup comedy, particularly featuring comics that are no longer with us is something that is lacking from Seeso, but something that the more mainstream service like Netflix should capitalize on.  In any case, if anyone wants to make suggestions to Netflix on what to add, go to the website and visit the help section, there is a tab that you can submit suggestions.  
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

No obvious difference on my Roku 4 either. I think the "*" issue is only with the new Roku's.

As for adding older shows and movies, forget it. They are moving in the opposite direction and focusing on being mostly their own content. Basically, they won't be any different than a cable channel, with just their own content and a few movies and older shows.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"andyross" wrote:
No obvious difference on my Roku 4 either. I think the "*" issue is only with the new Roku's.

As for adding older shows and movies, forget it. They are moving in the opposite direction and focusing on being mostly their own content. Basically, they won't be any different than a cable channel, with just their own content and a few movies and older shows.

It is indisputable that Netflix as a service/OTT network is investing significantly in the development of original content and thus with such investment put into that venture it would/will naturally get priority. It would be a major mistake however, if they moved strictly in that direction and did not also invest in rights acquisitions for films and TV shows. There is a reason why cable/satellite premium networks like HBO, Showtime, and Starz have all ventured into the OTT realm.

All of them are following Netflix' lead and whether they admit it or not, there would be no incentive for them to invest in OTT services and such if Netflix hasn't been as successful as they have been. It would be quite foolish for Netflix to forget what brought them to the dance and go strictly in the direction of original content/movies.  It is a solid add-on that adds more value for subscribers and a natural draw in for non-subscribers, but if they don't continue to also invest in obtaining rights for content that is hard to find and/or not available on other services it will have a negative impact on Netflix though the degree of said impact will not be immediate due to the influx of original content that they are developing.

With so many streaming services/networks out there and new ones launching, why give up ground to any of them if you're Netflix?  It doesn't make sense.They are number one for a reason, they need to remember what got them to where they are, much in the same way as HBO/Cinemax has been number one in the cable/satellite medium for decades, but one might argue have lost touch with what got them to that position.  Personally, I prefer the presentation HBO/Cinemax and even Showtime had in the 1980's and early 1990's, now it seems as though a lot of the content each offers is watered down and as far as presentation, there seems to be more of an emphasis on graphics nowadays, the same can also be said for Starz.

I am admittedly an old-school guy (Recently had a birthday that pushed me further away from my youth.) and am a fan of the time I grew up in which was the 1980's, but from my perspective better technology/graphics doesn't always equal better presentation/selection.  I remember times where there was anticipation for a big movie premiere on one of the aforementioned networks, now it's more of an accepted thing rather than a premiere that you need to watch when it is first shown. It's something that I think has really hurt those networks, though as someone who has covered (I'm a writer) various aspects of the cable/satellite industry over the years, I would be lying if I said that I was not curious or looking forward to seeing what the subscriber numbers look like for each of the said networks stand-alone OTT services. I don't see them coming close to what Netflix is doing in terms of long-term subscribers, but I think it will get really interesting as things turn away completely from traditional cable/satellite and toward OTT distribution.  Right now, the biggest threats to Netflix are Amazon and Hulu, in my opinion. I am also a fan of Tribeca Short List, but I think it is going to take Tribeca more time to establish long-term subscribers as it is a movie service/network, but it is more of a niche aimed service and not a general entertainment network as the other three OTT heavyweights are. Either way, with so much emerging competition in the OTT realm, Netflix shouldn't give any market share to any competition that is out there or will be out there in coming years.  
0 Kudos