Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bwaldron
Level 9

Re: Netflix update?

"andyross" wrote:
No obvious difference on my Roku 4 either. I think the "*" issue is only with the new Roku's.

Nope. I have a Roku 3 that has recently updated Netflix and implemented the new "*" button "functionality."
0 Kudos
mikeyts
Level 7

I haven't seen any change in the Netflix app.  Could someone who has go into Settings->Get Help->Device Info and post a picture of what you see (easier than copying the info down)?  Like this:

If the numerals in that UI Build represent a date it looks like the UI code on mine was released on 10/23 (the channel store tells me that the resident portion was updated on the 16th).

Netflix's UI is written primarily in web authoring languages, principally Javascript; the resident portion is an engine for running that code. They download the Javascript part and some art assets dynamically every time it starts fresh and can vary the code from customer to customer if they want. Our version of the resident portion as reported by our Rokus could be exactly the same with our Netflix UIs being completely different. They use that capability for what's called "A/B Testing" and they're very proud of how easily their architecture allows them to do it. For instance, some complain about how the Post-play feature shrinks the video to a small inset window when the credits begin to roll. For several months, the version loaded on my Roku 3 didn't do that, waiting until the credits ended or you tried to exit from the video with UP to display the Post-play dialog. If you got to Post-play by attempted exit, it would pause the video, allowing you to blow up the inset and resume without missing anything. Eventually I lost that version--fortunately I'm not one of those who are bothered by Post-play Smiley Happy.

The instant-start feature on Roku (also on TiVo and my smart TV's app) inhibits reloading the dynamic code (it takes time), so if you want to make sure that you have the latest, either reboot your Roku or go to Settings->Get Help->Exit Netflix and restart (different from the "Exit" option on the control panel).
0 Kudos
23rdDjin
Level 7

looks more to me like your last UI update was May 23, 2016.

(or, at least, released on)

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999
0 Kudos
bwaldron
Level 9

Yeah, mine with the new "*" button function has the same Netflix Version, but a newer UI Build: UI-release-20161024_3284-gibbon-sapphire-darwinql
0 Kudos
mikeyts
Level 7

"23rdDjin" wrote:
looks more to me like your last UI update was May 23, 2016.

(or, at least, released on)

Yeah, you're right.  For some reason I was seeing "10" when it says "05".

What's the new "*" behavior?  Do you mean that it brings up the system audio overlay menu?  That happens with any version of Netflix.  If you're using the Roku remote, you can get that Netflix debug info display (with current resolution) by hitting "*" in the browser before you drill down into a title's dialog or press PLAY with a title selected; to turn it off you have to go back to the browser and hit the asterisk button.  Using an IR remote or the Roku app to control it you can turn that debug info display on and off in a quirky fashion with the asterisk button while the video is playing (it brings up the system audio dialog but when it goes away the debug info is there).
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

The Netflix info screen on my Ultra looks exactly the same as mikeyts's picture. Only number that is different is device model of course which shows 4640X.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
phussey1
Level 7

I am experiencing same issue as others.  I have a Roku 3 and now have an updated (and awful) Netflix interface.  Arrow down no longer pulls up subtitles and such.  Asterisk button no long displays streaming specs (my biggest complaint).  Is there any way to revert to the older version?  Ugh. 
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"phussey1" wrote:
Is there any way to revert to the older version?  Ugh. 

No. Once updated you are stuck unless Netflix reverts everyone and it is nearly impossible to avoid an update in the first place. Reversion has, as far as I know, never been done in the history of Netflix.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"phussey1" wrote:

No. Once updated you are stuck unless Netflix reverts everyone and it is nearly impossible to avoid an update in the first place. Reversion has, as far as I know, never been done in the history of Netflix.

I had the update for about a week and then it reverted back to the old one and that's what i'm still on, fwiw my UI build has the same date as mikeyts, but it's named zircon.
0 Kudos
mikeyts
Level 7

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"phussey1" wrote:

It is possible that the update that some are seeing is an experimental version.  Either Netflix decides that the experiment is successful and adopts it or some elements of it into the UI that everyone gets or they drop it and it's never seen again.  Exactly the latter happened for me once on my Roku 3 as explained in a post above.  For months I had a version which did not shrink the video when credits rolled while the Netflix UI on everyone else's (who commented in this forum) did shrink credits.  Though I thought that it was a brilliant solution, after a long time I eventually got the credit-shrinking behavior back.
0 Kudos