Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wrathbrow
Level 7

Netflix streaming stops at random

I have two Roku 3's. Both are having this problem.
Load Netflix and start streaming a show, show starts fine.
At some random point it will provide the spinning wheel and a slow count of of buffering by percentage. It never completes and errors out.
I can to go another show and it might work, go back to the original show and it does it again. Very random on what shows and when.

It has gotten so bad I bought a Fire Cube TV, guess what, it never happens on that unit.

Things I have tried/testing:
- Uninstall/reinstall Netflix
- Power reset Roku 3
- Power reset cable router/modem
- wired and wireless network both same issue
- other apps such as Hulu, etc never have the problem
- when the problem happens on the roku, can use other streaming devices fine
- talked with Netflix multiple times, they take a note say check with Internet provider, I explain it is only happening with Netflix on Roku units
- talked with Internet provider, they indicate modem signal strength is good, response from modem/router is good
- changed DNS servers on router, no change
- Used an Ipad to load the same Netflix show then direct it to the Roku, show starts again, lasts for a while then same issue

This is a specific issue with Netflix on the Roku (mine are 3's). Not any other app. I assume Netflix/Roku partner on the app, so I hold both of them responsible for the services and issues.

Anyone else or other posts seeing this?
So far I as I said I have swapped out one Roku with a Fire Cube TV and no issues. I'm about ready to give up on the other and Roku in general.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Netflix streaming stops at random

"Wrathbrow" wrote:
- Uninstall/reinstall Netflix...

Did you simply remove and reinstall Netflix? If so, that's incomplete. Proper way to do this for any app is 1) remove the app, 2) reboot the Roku, 3) reinstall the app. Do all three in that order, otherwise, you didn't do it.

Not saying this will solve it, but you seem to have performed a good selection of steps in order to get things working. I'm just wanting to ensure you did this test properly.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Wrathbrow
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
"Wrathbrow" wrote:
- Uninstall/reinstall Netflix...

Did you simply remove and reinstall Netflix? If so, that's incomplete. Proper way to do this for any app is 1) remove the app, 2) reboot the Roku, 3) reinstall the app. Do all three in that order, otherwise, you didn't do it.

Not saying this will solve it, but you seem to have performed a good selection of steps in order to get things working. I'm just wanting to ensure you did this test properly.

Had not done that. Now I have. Same issue.
I think it may be time to give up on Roku.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"Wrathbrow" wrote:
Had not done that. Now I have. Same issue.
I think it may be time to give up on Roku.

That's a shame. I have a family member with a Roku 2 (model 4210, which is simply a rebranded Roku 3 4200) and it still works fine. Yes, it's been nearly 4 years for that device, but it's been rock solid. That indicates that it's not a Roku 3 think in and of itself, but either a specific device, a Netflix issue, or a network issue.

If it was a device, then it's unlikely, but not impossible, that both would start going out at the same time, barring some identical outside influence.

If it was Netflix, it seems to me it would impact more people. Unless, there is some identical outside influence.

Which points to network. And, it might not be your network, but your ISP. You said you changed DNS already. Did you try Google DNS? Open DNS. I've had good success with Google.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos