Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Miami_Son
Level 8

Re: Netflix raises prices for all U.S. subscribers - Netflix raising prices for 58M US subscribers as costs rise

"workerdummy" wrote:
The biggest problem for me is the $2 here, $5 there, $1 another place, $119 for a new year of Amazon Prime up from $99 last year and $79 the first year, cable channels that had all free Roku channels now wanting $5/7.50/9.95/and more a month to watch everything that used to be free, other new pay streaming services, etc. Cutting the cord is getting pretty expensive, which is why I started cutting the cord in the first place.

Exactly. Between Netflix, Prime and my Playstation Vue subs I am paying nearly what I was paying for DirecTV, except now I own my boxes (6 Rokus) and have to replace them myself if something goes wrong with them. The DTV DVR was better, too. Netflix is now largely TV series, only a few of which interest me. Prime is getting to be the same. Paying for content that has commercials in it just seems idiotic to me, especially content that has already run on network TV that I can get for free OTA. If it wasn't for sports I could live on antenna alone (the wife would really, really miss her HGTV and DIY).
0 Kudos
steelersrule
Level 7

Re: Netflix raises prices for all U.S. subscribers - Netflix raising prices for 58M US subscribers as costs rise

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"workerdummy" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:
In December between my wife and I, we watched no less than 20 episodes of TV on Netflix..

$10 a month, 20 shows.. $.50 a show.
Even when it goes to $13, I'll still be happy with the per episode/movie price.

The biggest problem for me is the $2 here, $5 there, $1 another place, $119 for a new year of Amazon Prime up from $99 last year and $79 the first year, cable channels that had all free Roku channels now wanting $5/7.50/9.95/and more a month to watch everything that used to be free, other new pay streaming services, etc. Cutting the cord is getting pretty expensive, which is why I started cutting the cord in the first place.

Cutting the cord was the wild west 10 years ago - there was stuff out there, but you had to find it all yourself. But both then and now, it never meant "getting everything you got with cable", it meant "getting some entertainment without subscribing".

Since then, it's become mainstream, everyone is offering something, and everything goes up in price over time.  If you want something from all the services, of course it's going to cost you a lot. Add to that the fact that rights owners realized that there was money to be made, and we are where we are now.

Could not have put it any better.  CORD CUTTING is the MAIN STREAM.  And all of these companies, cable or whomever, are just going to transfer the cost of doing business over to the OTT service.  Cable, as we know it, will be phased out completely within the next 5-10 years.  No doubt.

And instead of paying for BOTH cable, and internet, it will ALL be shifted over to Internet, with Data Caps, and all the other BS people were afraid of.  I have no doubt in that either. Your costs are going to go up, unless you CUT THE CORD completely.  No ISP, or cable.  Just OTA for TV and Radio.  That is really the only true way to save money.  Big money.  And most people, myself included, can NEVER, or will EVER, be able to do that.  

Especially with an ISP.  The Internet is such a part of daily existence, it is incredible.  Just like electricity.  Can't really live without it at this point.

The Wild West days of getting content for free, legally or illegally, is coming to end for OTT.
0 Kudos