Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Netflix raises prices for all U.S. subscribers - Netflix raising prices for 58M US subscribers as costs rise

In December between my wife and I, we watched no less than 20 episodes of TV on Netflix..

$10 a month, 20 shows.. $.50 a show.
Even when it goes to $13, I'll still be happy with the per episode/movie price.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
workerdummy
Level 7

Re: Netflix raises prices for all U.S. subscribers - Netflix raising prices for 58M US subscribers as costs rise

"mikebdoss" wrote:
I think a LOT of people will moan and complain about this and threaten to quit, all for $2/month. In the end, they won't quit, because something-something-I-have-to-watch-specific-show-or-my-kids-will-complain. 

It's still a good service, and provides a lot of content for the price.

I quit Netflix many months ago for different, more insidious reasons. Just like their almost daily "Please Come Back" e-mails, the raise in price didn't convince me to change my mind and subscribe again. Just the opposite.
0 Kudos
workerdummy
Level 7

"DaBronx" wrote:
I like those that have responded above will moan and groan for a few days but then accept it as just a $2.00 monthly increase even on the premiere 4 screen plan with UHD (4K) I have that will go from $13.99 to $15.99/month. Still a good value for the price IMO considering how much content I do watch on Netflix and I find many of their original programming to be fantastic.

As usual, everything goes up except my paycheck. <haha>

--brett

Just curious...have you calculated the size of an average 4K movie? I read back when Comcast stuck us with a 1024GB data cap, about 4 4K movies would exceed the data cap. Of course Comcast wants another $50 a month for the unlimited data I had for the last 6 years.
0 Kudos
workerdummy
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
In December between my wife and I, we watched no less than 20 episodes of TV on Netflix..

The biggest problem for me is the $2 here, $5 there, $1 another place, $119 for a new year of Amazon Prime up from $99 last year and $79 the first year, cable channels that had all free Roku channels now wanting $5/7.50/9.95/and more a month to watch everything that used to be free, other new pay streaming services, etc. Cutting the cord is getting pretty expensive, which is why I started cutting the cord in the first place.
0 Kudos
DaBronx
Level 7

"workerdummy" wrote:
"DaBronx" wrote:
I like those that have responded above will moan and groan for a few days but then accept it as just a $2.00 monthly increase even on the premiere 4 screen plan with UHD (4K) I have that will go from $13.99 to $15.99/month. Still a good value for the price IMO considering how much content I do watch on Netflix and I find many of their original programming to be fantastic.

As usual, everything goes up except my paycheck. <haha>

--brett

Just curious...have you calculated the size of an average 4K movie? I read back when Comcast stuck us with a 1024GB data cap, about 4 4K movies would exceed the data cap. Of course Comcast wants another $50 a month for the unlimited data I had for the last 6 years.

Not an issue for me at this time. I have Spectrum internet (Charter) which has no data caps. If they ever do institute a data cap I will have to reconsider but until then it;s stream on, stream on.
--brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

I'm one of those who only keep Netflix because family watches it, i only watch one or two movies a month which is a very different from the dvd subscription days, back then it seemed like an endless stream of content that i'd never be able to get through, but the streaming service has never been as good as the dvd, i assume that's due to copyright or drm, something along those lines, but it's just a shame streaming has never matched the quality of the dvd sub.
0 Kudos
workerdummy
Level 7

"DaBronx" wrote:
Not an issue for me at this time. I have Spectrum internet (Charter) which has no data caps. If they ever do institute a data cap I will have to reconsider but until then it;s stream on, stream on.
--brett

Keep a close eye on your plan. The trades reported when Comcast started testing data cap in a few parts of the country, not here. Then one day I logged into my account to remortgage my house pay my bill and found a new menu choice, "Comcast | My Current Data Usage". No notification. I average 200-300GB a month, highest one month was 400GB. The cap isn't a problem...now, but I'm in the market for a new TV. I'm not sure whether to look at 4K, which is coming down in price or wait for whatever the next generation of sets will be. I'm just not crazy about adding another mortgage $50 a month for unlimited data.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"workerdummy" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:

The biggest problem for me is the $2 here, $5 there, $1 another place, $119 for a new year of Amazon Prime up from $99 last year and $79 the first year, cable channels that had all free Roku channels now wanting $5/7.50/9.95/and more a month to watch everything that used to be free, other new pay streaming services, etc. Cutting the cord is getting pretty expensive, which is why I started cutting the cord in the first place.

Cutting the cord was the wild west 10 years ago - there was stuff out there, but you had to find it all yourself. But both then and now, it never meant "getting everything you got with cable", it meant "getting some entertainment without subscribing".

Since then, it's become mainstream, everyone is offering something, and everything goes up in price over time.  If you want something from all the services, of course it's going to cost you a lot. Add to that the fact that rights owners realized that there was money to be made, and we are where we are now.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"ghb51" wrote:
I'm one of those who only keep Netflix because family watches it, i only watch one or two movies a month which is a very different from the dvd subscription days, back then it seemed like an endless stream of content that i'd never be able to get through, but the streaming service has never been as good as the dvd, i assume that's due to copyright or drm, something along those lines, but it's just a shame streaming has never matched the quality of the dvd sub.

I have a family member that still has the DVD plan. He will get a movie in, rip it out (Handbrake maybe?) and put it on a USB drive. His Roku is the Roku 2 (model 4210), which has a USB port. When he's done with the movie, he deletes it.

He has a streaming library of ripped Netflix movies that fluctuates up and down as he rips and watches them. I have made comments about his "pirate stash" but he actually does remove them from the USB drive when he's done. If he likes the move enough, he'll buy it from Amazon, VUDU, Google Play, Fandango Now, or some service that lets him access it, if it is (or when it becomes) available (often on sale). He's even had Netflix send him the same DVD 2 or 3 times in a year for movies he likes. His online library is huge. His ripped-DVD library is much smaller, but had he kept everything he ripped, it would be YUGE!

To your point, while there are some streaming content that's not available via DVD (mostly new stuff or Netflix originals), there is so much more DVD content that's not available via streaming. My family member has made the most of it. More work than most of us would want to do, but hey, whatever works, right?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DougHill
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:

That surely worths every penny.
0 Kudos