Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobby2
Reel Rookie

Netflix plays movie before i click the play button

Jump to solution

I am new to all this.  I use Roku Express and receive Netflix fine.  When I am browsing through all the movies and select one for more information, it starts playing automatically, even while the screen with the choices of Play or add to Mylist are still visible - and I haven't chosen one.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
optikhog
Roku Guru

Re: Netflix plays movie before i click the play button

Jump to solution

Yes, that is the way Netflix designed their app.  It does that on most platforms.

You can change some of the settings for such things via your Netflix account settings page: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2102

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
optikhog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, that is the way Netflix designed their app.  It does that on most platforms.

You can change some of the settings for such things via your Netflix account settings page: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2102

Bobby2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Terrific!!  Thanks so much for quick - and most helpful reply!

0 Kudos
MRH

Jump to solution

Both autoplay settings are off in my account (autoplay next episode and autoplay previews) but I still see the behavior that OP mentioned - the movie or episode starts playing in the secondary information screen that comes up with you select a show or movie.

Does anyone have a tip to correct that behavior?   I'm using a Roku Ultra.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@MRH 

Thanks for the note.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Netflix support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Netflix support here: https://help.netflix.com/en/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Sparkl8
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem. Netflix has options to turn off autoplay for only preview and next episode. I have those turned off.

Problem: Within a few seconds of navigating to the secondary menu (to read the title summary and decide to watch or add it, with options to click on like Play or Resume, Episodes and More, More Like This, Audio and Subtitles, Rate This Title, etc.) the title starts playing before I've made any selections.

This does not occur on any of my other 5 devices so it seems unique to your platform. I have already tried Netflix for a solution. It is very disruptive and distressing. Thank you for guiding me to a solution this problem.

Jump to solution

@Sparkl8 yes. Im having this same issue and, like you said, it is different from the autoplay issue that netflix has a check box for. This is the only place i could find anyone mentioning it, so I also thought it may be an issue just with the roku ap. Otherwise it would be talked about elseware because it is very annoying. Especially when something starts playing and then you back out to find it is now on your "continue watching" lis

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
@Ashleylin1130 wrote:

@Sparkl8 yes. Im having this same issue and, like you said, it is different from the autoplay issue that netflix has a check box for. This is the only place i could find anyone mentioning it, so I also thought it may be an issue just with the roku ap. Otherwise it would be talked about elseware because it is very annoying. Especially when something starts playing and then you back out to find it is now on your "continue watching" lis

Interestingly enough I have the opposite/converse situation:  NF "series/show/movie detail info autoplay" happens on all my non-Roku (I have 6, which are all on 9.3.0-4194 and are all configured identically aside from display/audio settings) devices (LG TV, FS4K, TS4K, NS, XB1X, etc)  - with the exception of the Roku Express+ 3910, which does do the "series/movie/show detail info autoplay".

There are different platform/SDK versions of NF for different models, however, both the 3910 (Express+) and 3800 (Streaming Stick) have the same exact platform (5.0.81121067) and SDK (2017) versions - the only other difference being one is 2.4Ghz only and connects via composite, the other is dual band and connects via HDMI.  However, if I connect the Express+ (3910) via HDMI it has no effect on the "detail autoplay" behavior (it still does it).  Similarly, if I connect the SS (3800) (or any of the others) via 2.4Ghz (they are all otherwise connecting via wired or 5Ghz) their "detail autoplay" behavior doesnt change (they dont do it).

Different NF profile autoplay/etc settings also have no effect on the "detail autoplay" behavior of the different devices.

Finally (having researched this issue a little for the same reasons) I tried changing my NF "Test Participation" setting from OFF to ON (and OFF again), and it also made no difference.

From all my research and testing, the only explanation seems to be a server-side configuration flag per device provisioning (NF does do per-device provisioning otherwise). 

Everyone should contact NF and explain the "details autoplay" issue, and the need for a "Autoplay movie/show when viewing details" setting.

Sparkl8
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree! To help get this issue resolved more quickly, as many people as possible please contact Netflix (call or start chat on Neflix help page) and let them know you are having this problem of: Titles playing without prompting within seconds of navigating to the info page menu. I used Netflix's chat function a little over a week ago and once they finally realized this was a "new" problem (and NOT auto preview or auto next episode), they promised to research the issue and started by asking me a lot of detailed questions. Like what date did the problem start, what devices does it do it on, version number of NF app software, etc. Unfortunately, I do not remember when the problem started for me, but I told them about this thread and that the first post was Dec 2019. So Netflix needs more info from more people to solve the problem.

Great problem detail StreamerUser! Great addition to the thread. I assume you've shared it with Netflix too.

Here's to less stressful, more pleasant show searches for us all soon!

Panther

Jump to solution

This has been happening to me even BEFORE I started using Roku. It isn't a new problem. I have had netflix for a few years now. It has always done this. I disabled both autoplays, but it still doesn't fix this particular issue. I contacted netflix about it maybe a year ago or so. I was told that's just the way it is & there's nothing I can do about it.

0 Kudos