Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Netflix outputs 2.0 instead of Dolby Digital (not DD+) on Streaming Stick+

Jump to solution

@Obelix27 wrote:

@UserOfStreamers wrote:

4) Get a competitor's device with a Dolby decoder (e.g. FS4K, FS4K Max, TS4K, O4KSB)

FS4K presumably is the Fire stick (yep - I do get 5.1 on Netflix).

But what is TS4K, O4KSB?

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K/4K MAX, Tivo Stream 4K, ONN 4K Stream Box

0 Kudos
jd47
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Good news.  With the Roku stick plugged into an HDMI receptacle on my AVR and still not producing full surround sound, I went back to Electro 101 and did a Factory Reset of the Roku. That did the trick!  Disney, HBO, and Netflix are all now outputting DD+/Atmos, and Peacock is doing DD+/Surround. Watched the opening crawl and space battle in Sith/Star Wars III on Disney. Blew me away. My apologies to Roku for doubting you. The inexpensive Roku Streaming Stick 4K is doing the job. In summary, going through an HDMI receptacle on an "old" TV (2015) and then sending the audio to a new AVR may not be able to transmit DD+ surround sound used by the various streaming services. Only HBOmax will send surround sound because they give the option of DD (which is not the same as DD+). When you input the Roku directly into the AVR, you many need to reinitialize it if you had used it previously. It works! (No comment on 4K video. I'm happy with 1080.)

0 Kudos
TazmanRocks
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have an Onkyo TX-NR 787 that I purchased after my Roku Ultra because my Onkyo TX-NR 717 did not support DD+ . The Onkyo TX-NR 787 supports DD+. I have my Roku Ultra plugged into the Onkyo via HDMI, but just like all of the others mentioned when using the Netflix app I only get PCM2.0 and not DD+. It is very disappointing since DD and DD+ sound magnitudes better! 

0 Kudos
jd47
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have Onkyo TXNR-696 and Roku Streaming Stick 4K plugged into HDMI on back of AVR.  At first it only produced 2.0 audio. Then I did a Factory Reset of the Roku (while plugged into the new AVR). I think this option was down in the Settings menu. After the apps reloaded, Netflix, Disney+, and HBOmax were all producing Dolby Atmos audio. Sound is now excellent. I hope this works for you.

0 Kudos
Obelix27
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Does anyone know if the latest Roku 4k streaming stick will transcode Netflix DD+ to 5.1 so that I can get 5.1 sound via an HDMI -> Optical Toslink audio extractor? The old stick I have doesn't do this (hence this thread was started some years ago).

0 Kudos
HomeTechie
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't know for sure but I sincerely doubt it.  This is the reason I switched 2 years ago to the Roku ultra.  It does this but in the end I just ended up using hdmi splitter to get dd+ audio to my old receiver for audio surround only (since it's only 1080p video) while the other hdmi split 4k goes to my TV. 

Works great. 

I tried to extract the audio before from hdmi to toslink but it was still trying to put dd+ over toslink and it work sometimes getting dd+ over toslink the bandwidth of 1.6mbps of dd+ was to much for toslink as that theoretically only handles up to 1mbps so it kept chopping out the audio. 

So because of that I don't think the 5.1 extractor idea will work unless it's s very well proven extractor because getting 5.1 from dd+ I believe is very tricky. 

Obelix27
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I see the Roku ultra is unavailable on Roku's website but is still available on Amazon for £100. So you think the ultra will transcode Netflix (Prime etc.) from 4k DD+ to 4k 5.1? The 5.1 will then be extracted from the Roku's HDMI via an audio extractor to an old 5.1 processor (via Toslink) and get 5.1 sound?

It sounds like your receiver does DD+ so you have no need to go to the old 5.1 surely?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Obelix27 wrote:

Does anyone know if the latest Roku 4k streaming stick will transcode Netflix DD+ to 5.1 so that I can get 5.1 sound via an HDMI -> Optical Toslink audio extractor?

No, the Streaming Stick does not decode DD+ to DD. The only Roku player that does that is the Ultra 480x. The original Ultra 4640 would also do it, but none of the Ultras after that until the 4800. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Obelix27
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you... I don't suppose you know if one of the current Fire Sticks converts DD+ to DD?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I have no knowledge of the Fire TV devices. Don't care for the Amazon-centric user interface. I believe the Nvidia Shield will do it, but since mine are all connected to AVRs that support most all audio codecs, I don't use any of those settings. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos