Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

"john262" wrote:
And yes the app is developed by Netflix, not Roku but I at least think that anything that I watch on a Roku is fair game for this forum.

It's fair game for discussion, of course. But don't expect it to actually change anything in terms of what Netflix includes in their channel. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

"mikeyts" wrote:
"RickWJ324" wrote:

I received my Roku 2 XS and was happy to see the postplay feature was not on it!!  Is there a list of Roku models that do not feature Netflix postplay?  I'm thinking of getting another unit for my home and was looking at the Roku 2 (4210) or a Roku 3 (4230) and would like to know if the Netflix postplay is on them or not.

The final models with that version of the Netflix channel were models 2700, 2710 and 2720 (Roku LT, Roku 1 and 2013 Roku 2).  All subsequent models and the preceding model 4200 (the original Roku 3) have the newer version of the channel featuring Post-play (and possibly auto-start and previews).  They'd have put the newer version of the channel on those other models but they couldn't make it perform well enough on them; those are the models where they drew the line.  The 4200, 4210, 4230, HDMI Streaming Stick and all current models have the newer Netflix channel.
The old version of the channel also lacks support for profiles, but that might not be a problem for you (a separate My List and set of recommendations for every different person who uses your account, with per-profile playback settings like captions on or off by default, caption rendition and auto-start-next-episode).

Thanks again for the very helpful info!  I've never been a Netflix streamer until recently.  I wanted to watch Luke Cage and Iron Fist so I have a free month of netflix right now.  I'm thinking of continuing the service for a bit but the issue with the credits shrinking is really not ok with me.  I'm one of those types that like to watch the credits.  My Xfinity boxes have Netflix built in and that's what I've been using so far, but I just picked up the Roku 2 XS and am happy with it not shrinking during the credits.  I can understand how for many it may not be an issue, but I'm sure there are a lot of people that would at least like it to be an option!
Thanks again mikeyts!  I may end up picking up a 2nd Roku unit and will check out the models you listed.  
Rick
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

FYI, you can select the shrunk-down screen and click on it, returning it to full-screen so you can see the credits. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"mikebdoss" wrote:
FYI, you can select the shrunk-down screen and click on it, returning it to full-screen so you can see the credits. 

That does not solve the problem and it's still unacceptable, the credits should not be forced to shrink on any video if the customer does not want that to happen. People shouldn't have to scramble for their remotes just to quickly bring back the credits because something designed into the code is forcing the app to do this to the video. A feature like this should come with an option to turn it off completely, whether some people care about the credits or not paying customers should have the option of an uninterrupted viewing experience if they so choose. It would not interfere with anyone who doesn't care about the credits to have an option to stop them from shrinking. I for one hate the shrinking credits and I think it's a despicable thing for Netflix to do at the end of videos that people pay to stream, I don't need someone deciding for me the credits are not important enough to stay on the screen.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Netflix launched the Post-play feature in its UIs in August of 2012; it came to Rokus when the current UI started rolling out to Roku 3 in November of 2013.  That's nearly 5 years altogether, 3.5 on Roku.  In that time I'm sure that they've received lots of complaints about the feature; I'm sure that they have a good idea of what percentage of their customers object to it.  The only thing they've done in all that time was to add a switch to disable auto next-episode start (after about a year, I think), probably because it was squandering large amounts of network bandwidth by streaming hours of video to people who'd fallen asleep, no doubt costing them something.  If they were going to add a switch to allow you to disable Post-play altogether (or at least the credit shrinking aspect thereof), I think that they'd have done it by now.  For most of a year my Roku 3 had a version of the UI which didn't shrink the credits. bringing up Post-play after they'd come to an end; if you tried to exit playback during the credits it'd pause them and bring up the Post-play dialog.  It seemed like a really good solution to me but they eventually chucked it.  Presumably they had their reasons.

If it bothers you enough then you certainly should dump the service; they've apparently made a business decision to keep shrinking the credits without giving you the option to disable that.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"mikeyts" wrote:
Netflix launched the Post-play feature in its UIs in August of 2012; it came to Rokus when the current UI started rolling out to Roku 3 in November of 2013.  That's nearly 5 years altogether, 3.5 on Roku.  In that time I'm sure that they've received lots of complaints about the feature; I'm sure that they have a good idea of what percentage of their customers object to it.  The only thing they've done in all that time was to add a switch to disable auto next-episode start (after about a year, I think), probably because it was squandering large amounts of network bandwidth by streaming hours of video to people who'd fallen asleep, no doubt costing them something.  If they were going to add a switch to allow you to disable Post-play altogether (or at least the credit shrinking aspect thereof), I think that they'd have done it by now.  For most of a year my Roku 3 had a version of the UI which didn't shrink the credits. bringing up Post-play after they'd come to an end; if you tried to exit playback during the credits it'd pause them and bring up the Post-play dialog.  It seemed like a really good solution to me but they eventually chucked it.  Presumably they had their reasons.

If it bothers you enough then you certainly should dump the service; they've apparently made a business decision to keep shrinking the credits without giving you to option to disable that.

Not a very smart business decision, why risk losing even a single subscriber over something so ridiculous? In 5 years they could have come up with an edit to the app to allow post play shrinking credits to be turned off. When they came up with the option to stop playing the next episode it just should have fully disabled post play entirely that would have solved this. It just shows Netflix truly wants to force one way of watching, the way it thinks the majority wants to watch instead of making a few options that would make everyone happy. Pretty dumb to irritate a portion of the customer base no matter how big or small over something they've had years to tweak. They also don't care about their customer service people who have taken in complaints on the matter for years. Smart business would be to make the minor adjustment, stop the complaints and not lose any customers over this. Just goes to show how big corporations don't give a dammn about you, only what their precious research tells them.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Holy crap, Emissary35. The world does NOT revolve around you! Most people don't care about these features either way. And Netflix doesn't just do this to make you angry - they've done tons of market research to show that it retains more customers than it loses, and it likely keeps people more engaged with the service. Your comment that they don't care about customers, just their "precious research" doesn't make any sense. The research is all about what customers want and like. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean others have any issues. 

Netflix probably doesn't want to have a settings screen with 10,000 options for every feature a few loud people find annoying. No matter what a company like that does, SOMEONE will hate something - an icon position, the size of the text, the way effects transition, everything. Should they have a toggle switch for every one? Or should they do their research, discover what keeps people around overall, and make the experience universal? I vote for the latter. 

Over and over, you and others talk about Netflix like they're kicking your pets. "It just shows Netflix truly wants to force one way of watching", "big corporations don't give a dammn about you", "I think it's a despicable thing for Netflix to do at the end of videos that people pay to stream", etc. THIS IS ENTERTAINMENT. This is a service you pay $10 a month for, and gives you access to thousands of movies and television shows. This is a service you can turn on and off without any penalties, has no monthly contracts, and requires no other hardware or software besides what you already have. Not only that, there are dozens of other ways to watch movies, including DVDs, competing services, cable television, and other methods. If you don't like Netflix, fine. But I cannot comprehend why you and others sit here in these forums (that Netflix doesn't read) and complain for YEARS about minor features on an entertainment service. [/font][/font]
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"Emissary35" wrote:
Not a very smart business decision, why risk losing even a single subscriber over something so ridiculous? 

I'm guessing Netflix makes more money than you do, so who are you to say they don't make smart business decisions? For any change, some will like it, and some won't. They've obviously figured that they'll gain more customers than they lose with this change. 
It's not clear why you're complaining here, a place which Netflix is very unlikely to monitor. except it appears you just like to complain. Now, are you going to make good on your promised threat? Netflix won't miss you. Don't let the door hit your...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"mikebdoss" wrote:

I find the shrunk-down credits really annoying too and I usually do click on the shrunk-down screen to restore the credits.
I'm guessing that this is an intentional feature to facilitate binge watching of series. As well as the shrunk-down credits the next episode description is displayed and can be played without the typical recap and introductory title lead ins. This really does enhance the binge watching experience so I suppose ones persons annoyance is another's convenience.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"srglassw" wrote:
"mikebdoss" wrote:

I find the shrunk-down credits really annoying too and I usually do click on the shrunk-down screen to restore the credits.
I'm guessing that this is an intentional feature to facilitate binge watching of series. As well as the shrunk-down credits the next episode description is displayed and can be played without the typical recap and introductory title lead ins. This really does enhance the binge watching experience so I suppose ones persons annoyance is another's convenience.

It's annoying to have to click on the shrunk credits to bring them back because it takes 4 remote clicks, left, up, up and then OK on the remote. So they don't exactly make it an easy one button press to bring it back. You bring up another good point that if you let auto play start the next episode or if you click the link on the shrunken credits to start the next episode it will in fact edit past the recaps or opening titles if the show begins with them. This is another annoyance because you do not have the option of whether you want to see the recaps and opening titles or not. There should be options to set in the playback settings to either skip over those things or to play the entire video. Netflix likes to encourage the binge watching experience, but the problem is that they want to force it their way, they want you to completely disregard the credits and skip over anything it deems irrelevant at the start of the next show instead of letting the customer decide how they want to experience the shows or movies they are watching. It would take some effort to simply add some options and then all of this nonsense and complaining would stop by the people irritated by these features. The only thing more annoying than these Netflix 'features' that you can't disable are the die hard Netflix apologists on this board who continue to cheer Netflix on when they force features without options. Is that really how the future should be in the digital age? No options to configure the way you want to watch? We should all shut up and take it how they give it to us? I don't think so. If you want a truly uninterrupted viewing experience on Netflix on your Roku you need to be using an older model Roku that still uses the primitive Netflix app without these terrible features built in, and that's really sad.
0 Kudos