Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Netflix continues to design more and more annoyances into their app while at the same time never providing the customer the choice of being able to turn it off in the account settings.  It is their arrogance that 'their research' thinks everyone wants to experience Netflix in the same way.  The auto preview is beyond annoying, you can't even stop on a title for more than a second without a video playing with terrible generic music playing that has nothing to do with what you selected.  Unless it's a Netflix Original then they take the time to include audio from the video but that is still annoying.

Then of course when you select a title you can't even read the description without it starting to play in the background before you press the play button, after a few seconds the description dissolves and now the video is playing even though all you wanted to do was read what it was about.  Then at the end the continued shrinking of the credits and pushing them off to the side like they don't matter.  Out of all of these annoyances none of them come with an option to simply shut it of and it's ridiculous.  For the people on here saying Roku doesn't write the channel complain to Netflix, well good luck with that because I've been complaining about these things directly to customer support for a long time now and NOTHING has changed.  I suppose the more complaints they get the more likely they are to stop this but I wouldn't count on it.

Netflix is concerned with one thing, forcing THEIR viewing experience on YOU!  And you are supposed to take it, there is no thought to the user being able to disable features and customize settings to the way that they want to watch.  It's arrogant, it's stupid and ultimately it will cost them subscribers, but not enough to do anything about it because most people still put up with this nonsense and don't complain.  It would be great if Netflix would be open minded and listen to what their customers want, nobody said designing features like this is a bad thing, it's only bad if you force it and DON'T allow us to turn it OFF!  Something Netflix refuses to understand.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

"Emissary35" wrote:
Netflix continues to design more and more annoyances into their app while at the same time never providing the customer the choice of being able to turn it off in the account settings.  It is their arrogance that 'their research' thinks everyone wants to experience Netflix in the same way.  The auto preview is beyond annoying, you can't even stop on a title for more than a second without a video playing with terrible generic music playing that has nothing to do with what you selected.  Unless it's a Netflix Original then they take the time to include audio from the video but that is still annoying.

Then of course when you select a title you can't even read the description without it starting to play in the background before you press the play button, after a few seconds the description dissolves and now the video is playing even though all you wanted to do was read what it was about.  Then at the end the continued shrinking of the credits and pushing them off to the side like they don't matter.  Out of all of these annoyances none of them come with an option to simply shut it of and it's ridiculous.  For the people on here saying Roku doesn't write the channel complain to Netflix, well good luck with that because I've been complaining about these things directly to customer support for a long time now and NOTHING has changed.  I suppose the more complaints they get the more likely they are to stop this but I wouldn't count on it.

Netflix is concerned with one thing, forcing THEIR viewing experience on YOU!  And you are supposed to take it, there is no thought to the user being able to disable features and customize settings to the way that they want to watch.  It's arrogant, it's stupid and ultimately it will cost them subscribers, but not enough to do anything about it because most people still put up with this nonsense and don't complain.  It would be great if Netflix would be open minded and listen to what their customers want, nobody said designing features like this is a bad thing, it's only bad if you force it and DON'T allow us to turn it OFF!  Something Netflix refuses to understand"

This is what I can't stand...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Don't even bother leaving feedback.  Matter of fact I stopped leaving feedback for any company they just ignore them and do whatever they want. 

Examples are:
Google still won't give you a option to sort by Artist, Title.  They even removed the ability to get rid of albums and songs not interested. 
Apple still has no web player.

However NF goes to far making there own original content auto previewing with trailers that have profanity and violence.  I refuse to use my PS4 for NF now and I know my Roku will get this soon too but once it comes to the Fire TV 2nd gen box I will cancel them if they don't let you turn this off.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I played with Auto Preview on Xbone S yesterday, stopping and looking at previews regardless of my interest and I did run across some profanity, both the f-word and the s-word, not bleeped out and even written in captions.  That's just wrong.  As for violence, many titles are all about violence (like Daredevil or the movie Black Hawk Down) so I'm not sure how you could create a useful preview which didn't show some.  (I hadn't notice that it's only the "Netflix Original" content which has dialog in the previews.  You'd think that they could use TV promos for shows and movies which had them, which is probably the majority.  It must be that it would require more licensing than they're willing to deal with).

Netflix is going to do what Netflix is going to do.  If they come up with a new feature which they think will enhance customer retention they will deploy it in the UI.  As long they get more new subscribers every month than people dropping the service they're happy.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Looks like once this annoyance gets pushed to my Roku and Fire TV I will drop Netflix.  Unless some people like me complain especially parents with young ones or those who hate this garbage NF will give us a option to turn it off then I can resubscribe.  Pushing MA rated garbage I have no interest is one thing but auto playing offensive trailers is the last straw if I can't turn this off.

so I'm not sure how you could create a useful preview which didn't show some

The MPAA can do so those are the ones that start with a green screen.  The ones online some have the red screen which is the uncensored trailer.  NF has no decency to even create a green screen version.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

I also have an issue with this as my family and I watch Netflix routinely.  

I contacted NF customer service, and was told that they would pass along my concern to their development team.

That was about all that the Customer Service rep could do.  So far I've received no further acknowledgement from NF that this issue is (or will be) addressed.
Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Williamt100" wrote:
I also have an issue with this as my family and I watch Netflix routinely.  

I contacted NF customer service, and was told that they would pass along my concern to their development team.

That was about all that the Customer Service rep could do.  So far I've received no further acknowledgement from NF that this issue is (or will be) addressed.

i have tested this and the previus are tied up to the profile that you use in your account. do nto se that as an annoyance. that's the reason why you can create up to 5 profiles on your netflix account. if you take care fo the proper ratings (G, Pg-13, mature) for each profile you will get the right level,depending on the profile that you use. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"ahiguero" wrote:
i have tested this and the previus are tied up to the profile that you use in your account. do nto se that as an annoyance. that's the reason why you can create up to 5 profiles on your netflix account. if you take care fo the proper ratings (G, Pg-13, mature) for each profile you will get the right level,depending on the profile that you use. 

I didn't realize that rating restriction was there on profiles.  However on my US account I don't see MPAA ratings codes.  On adult profiles I see "All Maturity Levels" and "For Teens and below"; on kid profiles I see "For Older Kids and below" and "For Little Kids Only" (kids profiles don't get previews in any case).  What do those even mean?  "Little Kids Only" = G, "Older Kids and below" = PG, "Teens and below" = PG-13?  PG-13 can have some strong language and some extended, non-sexual nudity; there can be brief nudity in "PG".  (See the "Classification and Ratings Rules").

The UI for Kid profiles is now the same (it used to be quite different from the adult one), except that there are no title dialogs; choose a title on the main menu and it immediately starts playing (there is a second level dialog for series).  They also do not have My List queues.  As I said, there don't seem to be previews.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I think that I'm right about those classifications and it makes sense; there are four of them and four MPAA ratings codes: G, PG, PG-13 and R (also NC-17 but they can be lumped in with R; Netflix marks them "NR").  If I set my profile to "Teens and below" all of the TV-MA and R rated titles disappear, but TV-14, TV-PG and PG-13 remain.  I can see where someone like reddice might want to set their ratings limit to "Older Kids and below" (PG) but it's not available on adult profiles.  If you go to kids profiles you lose title dialogs and My List.  All ratings limits should be available on adult profiles.  It makes sense to leave PG-13 and R off kids profiles but not to prevent adult profiles to set PG and G limits.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"reddice" wrote:
 If this annoying offensive feature does not give us a option to turn off I am done with NF for good.  My PS4 got this feature and while I was browsing it would start to play with audio and dialog.  One trailer has the word a** okay but another said s*it.  One might even had the f word in it of course this was all NF orignal garbage playing without my permission.  Okay NF I have zero interest in 90% of originals only kids originals.  Bad enough you have to shove this mature garbage in my face but to start to play without my permission I can't even browse now.  What I have to mute my TV sorry but I don't' think so.  I will mute NF and stick with Hulu which is getting better everyday.

So far my Roku and FTV 2nd gen box does not have this annoyance but if they do I am done if I can't turn it off.

I love this feature of Netflix. Along with automatically playing the next episode in a series. 
Although ideally Netflix should give the users the option to enable or disable the auto preview feature. I love this for when I'm browsing titles.

But realistically, if you are only interested in kids shows, then I would have expected you to set your ratings so that only kid friendly titles show up. So I guess it would be for "Teens and Below"? I have mine set so all ratings show up."All Maturity Levels". But that wouldn't make sense for kids. Then you can also set a PIN so that it has to be enabled to watch above certain level of programming. ie. "Little Kids", "Older Kids", "Teens", and "Adults"
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2019 Ultra--2016 Ultra

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
0 Kudos