Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

"xackley" wrote:
I bought a new Roku, What a mistake. Couldn't Roku give us an option to use the older Netflix interface instead of this irritating mess. The older interface was functional. This new interface is not.
I have to move really fast to avoid the auto-preview, and god forbid I forget to hit Mute.
Then in searching for a solution, I read Netflix representatives bragging how wonderful the auto preview is, and how they are pushing it out to  Iphones? 

Has anyone figured out a way to block this, other than never buying a new ROKU?

Don

Welcome to Roku! No, there's nothing that Roku can do about the interface. Almost every channel (app) you see on a Roku player is developed by other entities. Netflix in particular can push a UI to you without even completely updating their channel. Something about the way they develop it. And unfortunately, you'll see the same interface on just about any streaming device, so not using a Roku will most likely be of no help. And Netflix doesn't read this forum, so they won't see your complaint here. All you can do is contact Netflix directly. 
Your only real option is a player so old that Netflix doesn't bother to update it any longer. My Panasonic ST30 TV is that way, as is my old Roku 2 XS. However, the experience using either of them is so poor compared to newer players that I just put up with the annoyances in the latest Netflix interface.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

I did call Netflix, and I did sign the petition. Then I posted here.
Roku is a huge base for netflix. They could request an option for a Netflix Classic to be available in the Roku store.
Roku might be able to give us a setting that request the older version when connecting to the store. Imagine how fast Netflix would load on newer hardware if it loaded software made for a ROKU 1.
This is the 4th time I have upgrade my roku box, starting from the day that Netflix became a streaming service, and roku was only a Netflix streaming device. This is the first time I was unhappy with what roku allowed to happen to the roku experience.

Don
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Netflix is unique in that they send the channel functionality directly to the base channel. So even without a channel update you could get a completely different look to the UI. There's nothing Roku can do about that, it's completely under Netflix's control. Netflix would have to offer a "classic" version of the channel themselves. They can't offer their own version of the channel to use with protected content, which is what Netflix is.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"xackley" wrote:
I did call Netflix, and I did sign the petition. Then I posted here.
Roku is a huge base for netflix. They could request an option for a Netflix Classic to be available in the Roku store.
Roku might be able to give us a setting that request the older version when connecting to the store. Imagine how fast Netflix would load on newer hardware if it loaded software made for a ROKU 1.
This is the 4th time I have upgrade my roku box, starting from the day that Netflix became a streaming service, and roku was only a Netflix streaming device. This is the first time I was unhappy with what roku allowed to happen to the roku experience.

Don

This has nothing to do with Roku, at all. Netflix wants this interface on their devices, so that's what they deliver. Right now, Netflix doesn't want different versions of software, they want a unified experience (even if you and some others don't like it). There are millions of Netflix users on hundreds of platforms, including Roku. But Roku is just the hardware here (regardless of history) - Netflix wants a specific look and feel, Roku can't do anything about it. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

The only reason your old Roku still has Netflix's old interface is that it is too underpowered to be able to run the new one.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Please Note:  This page has long ago surpassed our 5-page rule we've recently adopted.  I'll be closing this thread down Saturday afternoon.  If you still wish to provide feedback about this feature, feel free to start a new thread (be sure to link the old thread in the original post).

I'll add a link to the new thread when this thread is closed out.  I won't be doing that tonight, so as to let everyone prepare for the new thread.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
Please Note:  This page has long ago surpassed our 5-page rule we've recently adopted.  I'll be closing this thread down Saturday afternoon.  If you still wish to provide feedback about this feature, feel free to start a new thread (be sure to link the old thread in the original post).

I'll add a link to the new thread when this thread is closed out.  I won't be doing that tonight, so as to let everyone prepare for the new thread.

Could you guys work with Netflix to at least fix the auto previews and Roku’s refresh rate switching feature so the screen doesn’t flash black every time a preview plays when you select a new show/movie? It works perfectly on Apple TV.

Thx.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

The Roku/Netflix relationship is tight.  We always forward suggestions/opinions/complaints whenever they appear on the forums.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Not sure it’s a great sign then that it’s been reported on the forums multiple times since OS 8 was released last year that turning on match framerate in the Roku settings essentially breaks the Netflix app and it’s still broken months later...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

@Bacon wrote:
Could you guys work with Netflix to at least fix the auto previews and Roku’s refresh rate switching feature so the screen doesn’t flash black every time a preview plays when you select a new show/movie? It works perfectly on Apple TV.

Thx.

There is an option to turn off AUTOPLAY PREVIEWS ON ALL DEVICES now in PLAYBACK SETTINGS if you access your Netflix account via web browser.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos