Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikebdoss
Level 9

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

"Emissary35" wrote:
"mc510" wrote:
I guess the one benefit of still using a 2XS is that Netflix doesn't do auto-preview. I've actually deferred plans to upgrade to a newer device (either Roku or Fire) because I really don't want the horrible auto-preview feature to be imposed on my kids' viewing. Or mine for that matter.

It's so sad when customers do not want to upgrade to better devices because it means being saddled with a horrible app that Netflix has designed. People that work for Roku read these threads and you'd think they'd take notice of these complaints and contact Netflix on our behalf to push for options to turn these annoyances off because it will potentially stop some customers from buying new Rokus. But all you'll get from Roku is "Netflix writes the channel complain to them" and all you'll get from Netflix is "we'll send in your feedback because your viewing experience is important to us" and nothing ever changes
I really wish someone out there with the knowledge and ability would take the time to create a very basic and simple Netflix channel that we could use to bypass the official channel. One that does two simple things, let's us browse titles and play videos with no interference just like the old Netflix app did still does on older Roku models. Netflix is never going to make any of these annoying features optional, they will continue to ignore complaints and going forward embed even more pop up/skip type features over videos until eventually the interruptions will be just as nauseating as watching cable TV channels.

Vote with your dollars. If it's a big deal to you, cancel the service. It's just one of many entertainment options. 

Roku doesn't have any sway with Netflix in this regard. They're the content provider and channel designer, they want it to operate in one specific way on most platforms. 
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

"mrusse" wrote:
I just called Netflix.  Once they verified there is no way to turn off the annoying preview noise, I logged a formal complaint.  Maybe if everyone does this, Netflix will create an update to fix the problem soon. Their customer service number is 1-866-579-7172.

Netflix listens to zero feedback.  Really I would not be surprised if they decide allow auto play of next episode again with no way of disabling it or worse when you watch a licensed show at the end when the credits start to roll it will automatically start to play a random Netflix original (right now it does that with movies, just plays the trailer though) again no way to turn it off.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos

Thank you for the telephone number for Netflix Customer Service, I just called them and logged a complaint.  Funny enough, the representative stated he hates that feature, too.  Go figure.
0 Kudos
Crow550
Level 7

Should also try complaining on Netflix's Reddit page too. 
0 Kudos
8traxrule
Level 7

Netflix doesn’t read Reddit, and their phone line is in another state likely run by another company. Meanwhile Roku’s offices are in the same building as Netflix, they’re just a stone’s throw away from each other. I would’ve bought a new 4K Roku if it had a non-annoying Netflix interface, but I’m sticking with the old XD instead.

It’s amazing that Netflix could become so awful after conquering the market- I was happy when they put Blockbuster out of business since that was a backwards thinking company and Netflix did most things right. This interface shows that founder Reed Hastings is NOT a true movie fan though and has no concept of a respectful presentation.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 9

"8traxrule" wrote:
Netflix doesn’t read Reddit, and their phone line is in another state likely run by another company. Meanwhile Roku’s offices are in the same building as Netflix, they’re just a stone’s throw away from each other. I would’ve bought a new 4K Roku if it had a non-annoying Netflix interface, but I’m sticking with the old XD instead.

It’s amazing that Netflix could become so awful after conquering the market- I was happy when they put Blockbuster out of business since that was a backwards thinking company and Netflix did most things right. This interface shows that founder Reed Hastings is NOT a true movie fan though and has no concept of a respectful presentation.

I couldn't agree with you more, now I find myself wishing someone would put Netflix out of business because their apps are so full of these annoyances that are forced. These things would not be annoyances at all if you could simply shut them off, but you can't, they won't let you! It really wouldn't be a problem at all if Netflix just listened to complaints and modified the app with playback controls located either on the website or on the apps directly to shut these things off. I get some people may like previews and may like to skip the opening or end credits but a lot of us don't want these things. I never want to skip the opening credits of a TV show, but now I have to view them with an annoying SKIP button on the screen all the time? That's terrible and ruins the experience, they are so focused on satisfying people that want to skip they don't care about those that don't! I don't see the advantage in ticking off a portion of customers that don't like the features because they won't take the time to make them optional. I have no problems with these features being there, only that I can't make them stop. Netflix need to change its mentality from forcing their single minded strict way to watch that their 'research' tells them people want and start listening to complaints too.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 9

You guys know that not everyone hates these features, right? This is kind of an echo chamber with people complaining, but if you asked a sampling of 100 random Netflix subscribers, it's unlikely that more than a couple would care at all. 

Also, as I'm fond of saying in these threads, Netflix isn't some small podunk startup that doesn't understand what their users want - they're a multi-billion dollar company that probably spends more on market research and usability testing than almost all other streaming companies combined. They're fully aware that some people don't like these features. They've heard your complaining. But the features are still beneficial to them as a company for usability and for subscriber retention. Otherwise, they would have changed them by now. 

Like I said above, there are many, many options for media streaming - Netflix isn't the only game in town, and they don't owe you anything. It's entertainment - if you don't like it, switch to something else. 
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

"Emissary35" wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more, now I find myself wishing someone would put Netflix out of business because their apps are so full of these annoyances that are forced. These things would not be annoyances at all if you could simply shut them off, but you can't, they won't let you! It really wouldn't be a problem at all if Netflix just listened to complaints and modified the app with playback controls located either on the website or on the apps directly to shut these things off. I get some people may like previews and may like to skip the opening or end credits but a lot of us don't want these things. I never want to skip the opening credits of a TV show, but now I have to view them with an annoying SKIP button on the screen all the time? That's terrible and ruins the experience, they are so focused on satisfying people that want to skip they don't care about those that don't! I don't see the advantage in ticking off a portion of customers that don't like the features because they won't take the time to make them optional. I have no problems with these features being there, only that I can't make them stop. Netflix need to change its mentality from forcing their single minded strict way to watch that their 'research' tells them people want and start listening to complaints too.

Wait I see it happening in 2019.  Disney new streaming service is going to kill Netflix aka Notflix.

Also mike if you agree with Netflix bonehead moves why bother posting here.  All you sound like is a Netflix apologist.  It is okay for Netflix to auto play trailers with profanity and when you browse the app you have to rush to mute your device.

A solution that would solve everyone's issue is a simple turn off options for these annoyances.  For those who like it they leave it on but for those who hate it like me I can turn it off.  Really Hulu when you turn off auto play which you have to do in the app for each device everything plays uninterrupted.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crow550
Level 7

Ugh. I'm unsubbing from this thread. This has gone on long enough.... Getting a bit tired of hearing people complain.

Yeah it's annoying but Netflix still has some good content. Same with Hulu. Sure annoying UI but it still has content worth watching. 

Look either deal with it, unsubscribe or create a large group by asking others on Netflix's Reddit to join you and or petition and get there attention. Get large enough group to post on Netflix's FB & Tweet them about this. Contact some News outlets.... Be proactive about it. 

Just complaining on the Roku forums is not going to do anything.... 

I'm done. Unsubbed. Not checking this thread again. Like Mike said this is just a small echo chamber. 

Do whatever. Continue to complain here.... Or attempt to band together and get your voices heard to Netflix. Stop making excuses that it will do no good and actually try to make a difference if this bothers you so much to keep spending time in this Thread about it. 
0 Kudos
BooBlah
Level 7

"Crow550" wrote:
Ugh. I'm unsubbing from this thread. This has gone on long enough.... Getting a bit tired of hearing people complain.

Yeah it's annoying but Netflix still has some good content. Same with Hulu. Sure annoying UI but it still has content worth watching. 

Look either deal with it, unsubscribe or create a large group by asking others on Netflix's Reddit to join you and or petition and get there attention. Get large enough group to post on Netflix's FB & Tweet them about this. Contact some News outlets.... Be proactive about it. 

Just complaining on the Roku forums is not going to do anything.... 

I'm done. Unsubbed. Not checking this thread again. Like Mike said this is just a small echo chamber. 

Do whatever. Continue to complain here.... Or attempt to band together and get your voices heard to Netflix. Stop making excuses that it will do no good and actually try to make a difference if this bothers you so much to keep spending time in this Thread about it. 

Good idea.
0 Kudos