Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RickWJ324
Level 7

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

"mikeyts" wrote:
"RickWJ324" wrote:
I just ordered a Roku 2 XS and am wondering if the Netflix UI on that device will do this as well?

Nope--it won't have any of the "annoying" new features:  no Post-play, no auto-start, no previews.  Also no profiles or kids mode.

Awesome!  Thanks for the quick reply mikeyts!!   Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
reddice
Level 8

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

"Emissary35" wrote:
Best solution is just to cancel Netflix, their annoyances outnumber the positive things about the service in a staggering amount. Complaints to customer service do nothing, Netflix will not listen they'll keep these annoying feature while continuing to develop more. Their motto is to bloat their app with as much uselessness as possible so that it's so intrusive you can no longer enjoy the video experience. Their library of content is constantly shrinking too there is so much less to watch for movies and TV shows than there was a couple of years ago, Netflix no longer wants to pay studios for streaming licenses so they keep pumping out original content which only a small percentage of is worth watching. Hulu is a much better service and their apps are nowhere near as annoying with features like Netflix has. Netflix is a sinking ship, get out and stop giving them your money every month.

I agree.  I watch Hulu more now these days anyway.  I am so close on dropping NF anyway soon so little to watch now.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RickWJ324
Level 7

"RickWJ324" wrote:
"mikeyts" wrote:
"RickWJ324" wrote:
I just ordered a Roku 2 XS and am wondering if the Netflix UI on that device will do this as well?

Nope--it won't have any of the "annoying" new features:  no Post-play, no auto-start, no previews.  Also no profiles or kids mode.

Awesome!  Thanks for the quick reply mikeyts!!   Smiley Very Happy

I received my Roku 2 XS and was happy to see the postplay feature was not on it!!  Is there a list of Roku models that do not feature Netflix postplay?  I'm thinking of getting another unit for my home and was looking at the Roku 2 (4210) or a Roku 3 (4230) and would like to know if the Netflix postplay is on them or not.
Thanks again!  Rick
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mikeyts
Level 8

"RickWJ324" wrote:

I received my Roku 2 XS and was happy to see the postplay feature was not on it!!  Is there a list of Roku models that do not feature Netflix postplay?  I'm thinking of getting another unit for my home and was looking at the Roku 2 (4210) or a Roku 3 (4230) and would like to know if the Netflix postplay is on them or not.

The final models with that version of the Netflix channel were models 2700, 2710 and 2720 (Roku LT, Roku 1 and 2013 Roku 2).  All subsequent models and the preceding model 4200 (the original Roku 3) have the newer version of the channel featuring Post-play (and possibly auto-start and previews).  They'd have put the newer version of the channel on those other models but they couldn't make it perform well enough on them; those are the models where they drew the line.  The 4200, 4210, 4230, HDMI Streaming Stick and all current models have the newer Netflix channel.
The old version of the channel also lacks support for profiles, but that might not be a problem for you (a separate My List and set of recommendations for every different person who uses your account, with per-profile playback settings like captions on or off by default, caption rendition and auto-start-next-episode).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Emissary35
Level 10

There is a good portion of people that are truly fed up with the current Netflix UI and all of its built in annoyances that Netflix likes to call 'features'. I don't understand why the old Netflix app which runs on the out of date older model Rokus cannot be added to the latest Roku models. There is an option to add the channel Plex and also Plex Classic on newer Roku models so why can't the same thing be done for Netflix? The older Netflix channel is still there and can be added from the channel store on older models so why can't it be added on newer models so all of us that can't stand the new Netflix design can still use the simpler non intrusive one? It would be nice if someone at Roku could look into this and make available the old Netflix channel to be added to all Rokus. Complaining to Netflix won't yield any results they just want to force all customers to watch the exact same way, Roku won't do anything they'll just say Netflix is responsible for writing their own channel take it up with them. It's very frustrating but a great solution would be a way to have the old UI on all Rokus. It might not have profiles but I will gladly trade that in for no post play shrinking credits and no auto start and auto preview of videos. There is no reason why the old channel can't run on newer Roku models, it's total B.S.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mikebdoss
Level 10

"Emissary35" wrote:
There is a good portion of people that are truly fed up with the current Netflix UI and all of its built in annoyances that Netflix likes to call 'features'. I don't understand why the old Netflix app which runs on the out of date older model Rokus cannot be added to the latest Roku models. There is an option to add the channel Plex and also Plex Classic on newer Roku models so why can't the same thing be done for Netflix? The older Netflix channel is still there and can be added from the channel store on older models so why can't it be added on newer models so all of us that can't stand the new Netflix design can still use the simpler non intrusive one? It would be nice if someone at Roku could look into this and make available the old Netflix channel to be added to all Rokus. Complaining to Netflix won't yield any results they just want to force all customers to watch the exact same way, Roku won't do anything they'll just say Netflix is responsible for writing their own channel take it up with them. It's very frustrating but a great solution would be a way to have the old UI on all Rokus. It might not have profiles but I will gladly trade that in for no post play shrinking credits and no auto start and auto preview of videos. There is no reason why the old channel can't run on newer Roku models, it's total B.S.

Netflix wants a universal experience on its various platforms, and seems to only make exceptions if there are hardware limitations. Roku can't just say "A few loud users who don't understand market research are complaining, let's complicate everything and make two versions of the Netflix channel available". 

When a company does something I don't like, I stop doing business with the company. The choice is ridiculously easy if it's a non-necessity, like entertainment: Just quit. Vote with your dollars. If all of you can't deal with a feature on an ENTERTAINMENT service, the problem isn't with the service, it's a problem with you - especially if you complain OVER AND OVER for months about it instead of quitting. Netflix isn't going to change this - Netflix has a lot of reasons for what they're doing, but tired complaints about "forcing all customers to watch the exact same way" are elitist, misguided nonsense. I'm sorry you don't like how a menu operates, or what a service does when you're browsing through titles. But the multi-billion dollar company that made the change obviously has done so knowing the risks, and it wasn't a rash decision, regardless of what loud people on a message board say. 

0 Kudos
socantra
Level 8

I have to agree with mike.  Why should Netflix pay any attention to chronic complainers who contimue to buy the product.  I left Netflix streaming well over a year ago, for other issues, but its not like its the only game in town.

This thread has been going on for over 3 months.  If those people who are so offended by this feature were serious about it, they would no longer be giving their money to Netflix.

When you keep threatening to cancel, but never do, even though you clearly realize Netflix doesn't care what you think, one must assume after awhile, that you love the pain that is apparently being inflicted upon you...

Life is way too short to spend it supporting things you hate.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
john262
Level 7

Yes, an easy solution to this problem would be to cancel Netflix. But in my case even though that autostart feature annoys the heck out of me there are several shows on Netflix such as "House of Cards" that I really enjoy and would hate to lose. So I have not cancelled. But would it be too much to ask to have them allow a way to disable this annoying "feature" in Netflix preferences? Enable it by default. That's fine. But please let those of us who hate it disable it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mikebdoss
Level 10

"john262" wrote:
Yes, an easy solution to this problem would be to cancel Netflix. But in my case even though that autostart feature annoys the heck out of me there are several shows on Netflix such as "House of Cards" that I really enjoy and would hate to lose. So I have not cancelled. But would it be too much to ask to have them allow a way to disable this annoying "feature" in Netflix preferences? Enable it by default. That's fine. But please let those of us who hate it disable it.

Have you emailed Netflix directly? They don't read these forums in any official capacity. Roku is just one of hundreds of devices that Netflix works on, and Netflix made the channel, not Roku. This really has zero to do with the Roku.
It's entirely possible that Netflix specifically wants this on every device, most likely because it retains more users than it scares off. It's also likely that not enough people care about the feature to have weighed in one way or another - if Netflix made a toggle setting for everything a few people didn't like, that would be 95% of their code...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
john262
Level 7

I called them and I was politely told that my opinion would be forwarded to their developers. But I doubt that my call will make any difference. I also have a Firetv with the latest version of their software and it does not have this feature. You have to click to start a Netflix video. However, the Firetv has other irritants such as an over emphasis on Amazon so overall I still prefer Roku. I realize that no streaming player is perfect. Any player has its good and bad points. And yes the app is developed by Netflix, not Roku but I at least think that anything that I watch on a Roku is fair game for this forum.
0 Kudos