Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

The MPAA can do so those are the ones that start with a green screen.  The ones online some have the red screen which is the uncensored trailer.  NF has no decency to even create a green screen version.

That has changed in recent years too- originally the green bands meant that they were approved for "All Audiences", meaning that you could show them with G-rated movies- having worked several years as a film projectionist I know that wasn't really the case however. There was no profanity or nudity but some could be implied, along with violence. After the move to digital the text has been changed to say approved "To Accompany This Feature", meaning that if you're showing a G-rated movie then the content of the trailer better well match that, but if it's on an R-rated film there could be some "objectionable" content in the trailer- I've seen at least one recent green-band trailer with profanity in it that wouldn't have flown just a few years ago. I don't know if they're still doing red-band trailers, which were pretty rare and meant to only show with R-rated or higher movies.

I haven't seen this latest Netflix interface but this is just more reason why they either need to let users CUSTOMIZE the interface, or if they can't do that then someone should create a hacked interface that does this. I'm still watching Netflix in peace on my Roku XD, but may be getting a 4K TV soon- if the only way to get Netflix in 4K is with the new interface that ruins the endings of movies, then I will simply drop it entirely rather than suffer through that or settle for a lower resolution on the older Roku.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Prepare to drop it. I don't believe that there are any 4K-capable platforms which don't use the Netflix common UI, featuring a Post-play dialog which pops up as soon as the credits start. All of the 4K-capable Netflix platforms that I own have the common UI (smart TV, Xbox One S, Roku Premiere+, TiVo Bolt).

I wonder about Chromecast Ultra. Given that its UI is displayed on a phone or tablet, what happens when the credits roll? Anyone know? I'd test with my Chromecast 2, but I just moved and my system's not set up yet.

EDIT: It looks as though something comes up at the bottom of the screen for auto-next-episode, but what happens if that's disabled or at the end of a movie?

I'm sure that when a 4K-capable Apple TV launches that it will have Apple's custom Netflix UI, which does not shrink credits. (Or at least didn't the last I heard).

EDIT EDIT: It appears that Post-play was added to the ATV Netflix app in July 2014 (see this image). A bit better than the common UI, since it doesn't shrink the credits nearly as much, but still... Oh well :roll:.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yeah, pretty annoying, it should have a toggle. I just hit mute, I really don't care if the visuals are there. It may prompt me to the Endless solution...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"mikeyts" wrote:

EDIT:  It looks as though something comes up at the bottom of the screen for auto-next-episode, but what happens if that's disabled or at the end of a movie?

That is how the Chromecast does it.  It should do that on all the common UI interfaces.  I find that much less annoying because you can still read the credits.  Actually that is how Hulu does it and one back press button hides it unlike NF where you have to left arrow press up twice and enter.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

What happens with movies on Chromecast? In that picture it shows next episode of a series.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

I have said this in other discussions relating to this feature on the board before, but I like the new feature. It is something that should be viewed as progression. While it may not please everyone, Netflix is trying to get more eyes on their content. I have watched a few things since the feature was implemented that I probably wouldn't have seen thanks to the trailer/preview feature. The one thing I will say again as I have said before in related discussions, I hope in time that Netflix will get the rights to use licensed trailers for most of the movies rather than the generic music they have on some now. It may indeed be a goal their aiming for, but I think it is something that would be easier said than done across the board because of not only licensing rights, but also due to the fact that some movies were not/are not released in theaters and thus may not have trailers.  

Personally, I think it shouldn't disqualify a movie as being worth a look simply because it didn't get a theatrical release. Nevertheless, the new feature has helped me stumble upon some films I may not have otherwise seen. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but for some folks like me it has proven to be a benefit of my long standing subscription. Just one man's opinion.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

If the trailers contain profanity something that MIke finally agrees with me so and you can't turn it off then it is not a good thing.
Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

But for the most part you can turn off display of titles rated TV-MA, R and NR, the only ones whose previews might contain profanity (and of those only the Netflix produced ones have dialog in their preview; all the rest have annoying music). I know that the ratings limit doesn't work for you for some reason; sorry. How to set those limits on a profile is also somewhat obscure. AFAICT you can only do it using Manage Profiles from the "who's watching" dialog in a web browser; it should appear as a top level option in the profile settings on your account page.

I do agree with bvd1022 that the feature is useful. It's caused me to put some items on my My List that I probably wouldn't have. Netflix's aim is to make sure that you almost always find something to watch when you fire up their app. The more you watch, the more valuable you'll perceive their service as being.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I don't know what is worse the profane violent trailers or the horrible PD music on the licensed content.  So far only the PS4 and Roku 3 in the living room which I disconnected due to 480p only playback but the 2nd Gen Fire TV stick so far does not have auto preview neither does my 2nd Gen Fire TV box and Roku Premier
Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"reddice" wrote:
I don't know what is worse the profane violent trailers or the horrible PD music on the licensed content.  So far only the PS4 and Roku 3 in the living room which I disconnected due to 480p only playback but the 2nd Gen Fire TV stick so far does not have auto preview neither does my 2nd Gen Fire TV box and Roku Premier

You know you're allowed to cancel Netflix, right? You don't have to use it? It's for entertainment, and it doesn't sound like you get any enjoyment from it. 
0 Kudos