Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
reddice
Level 7

Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

If this annoying offensive feature does not give us a option to turn off I am done with NF for good.  My PS4 got this feature and while I was browsing it would start to play with audio and dialog.  One trailer has the word a** okay but another said s*it.  One might even had the f word in it of course this was all NF orignal garbage playing without my permission.  Okay NF I have zero interest in 90% of originals only kids originals.  Bad enough you have to shove this mature garbage in my face but to start to play without my permission I can't even browse now.  What I have to mute my TV sorry but I don't' think so.  I will mute NF and stick with Hulu which is getting better everyday.

So far my Roku and FTV 2nd gen box does not have this annoyance but if they do I am done if I can't turn it off.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
158 Replies
Buzzsaw
Level 7

Re: Netflix new annoying auto play when browsing will make me cancel for good.

very simple to turn the auto play feature on or off from the "My Account" webpage on your browser after you sign in to your Netflix account on your web browser...NOT from ROKU or another device like PS4
Roku Ultra
Samsung UN65JS8500 (4K/HDR)
DirecTV HR54-500
Yamaha RX-A770 Aventage AVR

Room 2:
Sony KD43X720E
ROKU 4
Yamaha RX-V679 AVR
0 Kudos
23rdDjin
Level 7

seems you've been on this forum long enough to know that what i am about to state is obvious to you:

ROKU is not the developer of the NETFLIX app nor UI.  
if you are wishing to complain, take it to Netflix.
if you wish to drop Netflix, as you have stated before, then just do so already.

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999
0 Kudos
mikeyts
Level 7

I think that he's talking about the new preview feature which starts a promo running in the top of the the main browser if you pause for a couple of seconds on a title. Most of the time it plays some annoying, often mediocre and unrelated music in the background, but sometimes there is dialog. It cannot be disabled. It's only on a few of my devices so far and not the ones that I use for Netflix (Roku 3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 but not my TiVo, TV or Roku Premiere+), but I'm sure that's only temporary.

I have to agree with reddice on this one; the least they could do is make sure that preview clips which contain dialog are free of profanity. It doesn't bother me personally but it's hardly family friendly.
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

Thank you Mike we agree on something.  Also some were pretty violent too.  One show someone being stabbed with blood.  Another had people with guns to there head.  Maybe when they push this annoyance to everyone as only a few selected only my PS4 has it which I refuse now to use for NF it will get more attention.  As I said the violence, profanity of course came from NF own original production garbage.  The licensed content is mostly harmless just annoying PD music.
Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 10

For lack of a better description, lets start calling it 'Auto-Preview'. Sometimes it's just generic music and vid clips. For others, it's a true trailer. Whether a device supports it may depend on it processing power and if it's using the absolutely latest Netflix UI, as the previous version looks almost identical.

'Auto-Start' is when you go full screen on a title or episode and it starts playing.

'Auto-Play' is for a series will it will automatically play the next episode when one finishes. This is the only one you can disable under your account settings. It still shrinks to a tiny window with the next episode selected, but will just stop if you do nothing.
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

Re: Netflix new annoying auto start when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Updated title to auto preview.
Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Buzzsaw" wrote:
very simple to turn the auto play feature on or off from the "My Account" webpage on your browser after you sign in to your Netflix account on your web browser...NOT from ROKU or another device like PS4

Nope, what you are referring to is for series to auto-play the next episode when one ends. What is being referred to here is the latest Netflix user interface beginning to play a video as a preview in the upper portion of the screen while it is highlighted. You don't have to select the video for the preview to begin. And it's annoying as all get out...
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Nope, what you are referring to is for series to auto-play the next episode when one ends. What is being referred to here is the latest Netflix user interface beginning to play a video as a preview in the upper portion of the screen while it is highlighted. You don't have to select the video for the preview to begin. And it's annoying as all get out...

I agree especially the originals which have dialog and are not so clean.  Like those movie trailers online that start with a red screen instead of green screen difference is you have to play them.  NF better start getting complaints for this lack of decency.
Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
mikeyts
Level 7

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Usually when I'm browsing I fairly rapidly scroll through listed titles, stopping when a title and/or poster art catches my eye.  I don't otherwise pause for long enough for the preview to start.   Yesterday I was watching Netflix in the living room on my Roku 3 which has the feature and got up to get something for the kitchen with Star Trek: Enterprise selected.  The music was so bad I rushed back to get rid of it.
0 Kudos