Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hsimpson
Reel Rookie

Netflix constant buffering on Roku ultra

I’ve used Roku for years and it works great with all my channels except Netflix.  No matter what I’m watching, it gets interrupted with buffering...sometimes it’s only a few times a show, sometimes it’s literally every 30 seconds.  It makes it unwatchable.  Just so you know:

- I have the same issues in both my Roku devices

- No other channel does this, so I don’t think it’s an internet issue or entire Roku issue

- I watch Netflix on my computer on the same WiFi with absolutely no issue (so it’s not entirely a Netflix issue

- I have tried reseting everything, including deleting the app and adding it back, unplugging the Roku and restarting, changing my HD quality on Netflix, etc...

Nothing has worked.  T seems to specifically be a combo problem between using Netflix on Roku.  I’ve seen some similar posts, but they seem to be using different Roku devices and I’ve seen comments that the problem was resolved recently...but it’s still going for me so I thought I’d post again.  Any advice?!?!?

Thank you

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Netflix constant buffering on Roku ultra

When removing/reinstalling, did you restart your Roku before reinstalling? This will make sure there is nothing hanging around in memory from the original installation so that everything for the channel gets reinstalled. It may not make a difference but it's worth trying.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Renee2

Have you found a solution for this? It sounds like I am in the same boat as you. On both our Roku TVs (and only these, Netflix works great on all other devices), the shows we are watching keep stopping, buffering, while watching. I have tried everything, from unplugging the TV for more than 3 minutes, to re-setting my internet. Nothing has changed. Going on day 4 now and about to throw the TV out the window lol. Hopefully you have found a solution. 

0 Kudos
jp15

I'm having the same issue on my Roku TV and Ultra HD.  I've tried all the suggestions multiple times The internet connection isn't the issue, I don't have issues with any other apps other than Netflix.  To be honest it's maddening since Netflix is my most used app.  There's has to be a solution Roku can provide us.  #netflix Roku Ultra (4660, 4661, 4662 series) #buffering 

0 Kudos
paleonerd

Same issue here with both my devices: Roku Premiere (3920 series)  and Roku Premiere+ (3921 series)  

No problem with Netflix on any other platform. For example, Chromecast streaming works just fine.

200Mbps Internet connection. No obvious network issues at all. The Wifi is Eero. 

By the way, "Check Network Connection" reports throughput of 21-31Mbps; by comparison, my iPhone on the same network at the same spot in the house clocks in at about 120Mbps. Wifi connection is reported as "Excellent".

One step I took in order to fix this was to trade out my Arris SB6190 cable modem for a Motorola MB7621. The Arris uses a flawed Intel chipset that others reported created issues with Eero. No apparent improvement in this problem (though my network does seem to be peppier overall Smiley Happy). 

I have tried removing Netflix, rebooting the device, and reinstalling. No joy.

Other than tossing both my Roku devices and switching to Amazon... any ideas, Roku?

0 Kudos
hsimpson
Reel Rookie

Unfortunately, I'm still having the same issue.  INCREDIBLY annoying.  I basically just use my computer for Netflix at this point, making Roku a big disappointment in this area.

0 Kudos
va4

My Netflix is the only one buffering.  I do not know why.  My other streaming services are not.  This is the first time this is happening to me.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@va4

Thanks for the post.

Typically buffering issues are related to wireless connectivity. Have you tried rebooting your wireless network to see if this helps the issue you are experiencing?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jw6828
Channel Surfer

I am having the same issue, and have a different internet provider, modem and multiple Roku devices.

All of the suggestions have been done without any change.

Very near going to firestick as I have in another room and it never fails to work properly.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @jw6828

I hope you're doing well.

Could you tell us specifically about the issue you're experiencing? Does it only occur on Netflix or across other channels installed on your Roku device? Please provide us as well the troubleshooting you've tried so we know what steps we should take next.

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos