Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Netflix channel freezing and crashing Roku

Today is March 3, 2020 and the issue is not resolved.  I bought a brand new Roku device, installed it, ran Netflix, the picture froze and after 5 minutes, Roku reset.  I called Netflix and they told me that it's a known issue and that their "backend team" is working on it.  It's discouraging to read that the problem stretches back to November 2019.

Labels (1)
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Netflix channel freezing and crashing Roku

@gadelrosario  Thanks for reaching out. The issue you are describing is not the same issue that your comment was posted on. That was resolved months ago. 

For the behavior you are seeing, a few more questions to help better understand what you are seeing: 

- What model of Roku device are you using? (Settings>System>About) 

- What content title were you trying to play on Netflix when you saw this occur?

If Netflix support has stated that they are already aware of the issue and are working to resolve it, you'll want to continue following up with them directly for more information and updates on the issue occurring inside their channel. We can help relay your feedback along as well. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I’m using the Roku Premiere, purchased from Amazon last week. I was watching the Gabriel Fernandez documentary on Netflix when it froze. The device is on WiFi. 

I’m also using an older (circa 2009) Panasonic plasma TV.  Though the Roku is connected via HDMI and the tv is 1080p capable, I don’t know if this old TV can handle the speed of the data stream. The same thing happened to my old Roku 3. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Sadly the problem goes back long before Nov 2019. I’ve always owned a Roku device&used them on many different kinds of TV’s over the yrs w the same problem... Netflix. Today more frustrated than ever w that app when I tried to watch tv show.. Denied. When this happens its “behind”-slow to load so slow music speaking(if you get that far bf it crashes) are ahead of what you’re seeing.. so slow causes freezing&crashing even on my brand new tv (Roku)..but happens on my Samsung TV too) New prob I’ve not saw yet it started to play a movie but people were moving in fast forward! but not their voices!? HTH Does That Happen?! 😂 but ya then crashed. So now I’m totally convinced it’s not the TV or device you use.. it’s Netflix. Because as soon as my system rebooted I tried Hulu... perfect. I tried all except Netflix they All Work Perfect! Right now I’m watching Black Sails on Amazon Prime no probs always amazing. Last night (same Netflix prob) I was watching 4K movies in bedroom on Samsung TV w roku device over wifi.. still worked amazing on Prime. So it can’t be bandwidth or whether you’re directly linked or on wifi.. it’s not even all the time.. Netflix be ok then start acting up crashing for 1-2months I can’t watch it. I don’t have a clue why that amount of time but it’s done that to me for yrs. None of my apps have any problems except Netflix. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have a Roku 4 and Netflix exhibits the same symptoms:  poor response, freezing, and even crashing the Roku and forcing a reboot.  Prime Video, Hulu, anything else - works great.  Netflix - nada.  I just told my wife when she complained to watch Prime instead.  I will probably cancel the Netflix subscription - paying money for something you can't watch without PITA is stupid. 

0 Kudos