Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lpelleg1
Level 7

Netflix app not giving me 4K playback

Hi guys, I have a Roku Ultra (4640X) running software version 9.1.0 on a Vizio M65-EO. I also have a Netflix subscription with 4K.

I noticed even before the recent software update that the Netflix app is for some reason not showing me 4K titles as such. They are labeled HDR if that applies but everything else is just labeled HD with nothing showing up as Ultra HD 4K. They are all defaulting to 1080p on playback.

I have no issue with 4K playback with the Amazon Prime app or others.

I’ve tried logging out and logging back in to Netflix. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Restarted the Roku. Disconnected and reconnected the HDMI cable. Nothing seems to fix the issue. I’m unsure exactly how long it’s been happening but I know it hasn’t been the entire time I’ve been using the Ultra. It worked perfectly fine at one time.

The built-in Netflix app on the TV works perfectly as it should so I am at a loss. Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Netflix app not giving me 4K playback

Thanks for the note here. 

I just tried testing this on the same model of device, and am seeing 4K HDR playback. A few things you can do: 

1. When you are on a movie/tv show details/description page, prior to starting to play the title, press the * key on your remote. This will enable additional streaming stats that will display in the upper lefthand corner of the screen during playback. This will show you the current stream that is being delivered to your device. 
2. Ensure the content title you are trying to play is offered in 4K HDR. The HDR badge should appear on the details/description page. 'Stranger Things' and 'Chilling Adventures of Sabrina' are both Netflix original titles that should be available in 4K HDR. 
3. Double check that your home network connection is providing adequate bandwidth to stream 4K HDR content. (I believe Netflix recommends a minimum of 15MBPS for this quality.) You might try restarting your internet modem and wireless router, as well as your Roku device, to see if this helps clear things up.  

If you visit Settings>Display type on your device, what display resolution is showing as detected? (Bottom lefthand corner) Have you tried changing this manually to 4K HDR 30Hz or 60Hz to see if this helps resolve the issue? 

If that still isn't doing the trick, I'd recommend contacting Netflix support to report the issue. Although less likely, it's possible that they are encountering a content delivery network issue that is preventing an HDR quality stream from being delivered to your device, etc. You might also contact your ISP to see if they have any additional insights to share based on what they can see from your internet connection. 

Keep us posted if you need any additional help from there! 


Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
lpelleg1
Level 7

Re: Netflix app not giving me 4K playback

"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Thanks for the note here. 

I just tried testing this on the same model of device, and am seeing 4K HDR playback. A few things you can do: 

1. When you are on a movie/tv show details/description page, prior to starting to play the title, press the * key on your remote. This will enable additional streaming stats that will display in the upper lefthand corner of the screen during playback. This will show you the current stream that is being delivered to your device. 
2. Ensure the content title you are trying to play is offered in 4K HDR. The HDR badge should appear on the details/description page. 'Stranger Things' and 'Chilling Adventures of Sabrina' are both Netflix original titles that should be available in 4K HDR. 
3. Double check that your home network connection is providing adequate bandwidth to stream 4K HDR content. (I believe Netflix recommends a minimum of 15MBPS for this quality.) You might try restarting your internet modem and wireless router, as well as your Roku device, to see if this helps clear things up.  

If you visit Settings>Display type on your device, what display resolution is showing as detected? (Bottom lefthand corner) Have you tried changing this manually to 4K HDR 30Hz or 60Hz to see if this helps resolve the issue? 

If that still isn't doing the trick, I'd recommend contacting Netflix support to report the issue. Although less likely, it's possible that they are encountering a content delivery network issue that is preventing an HDR quality stream from being delivered to your device, etc. You might also contact your ISP to see if they have any additional insights to share based on what they can see from your internet connection. 

Keep us posted if you need any additional help from there! 


Cheers,
Tanner


Thanks for your reply.

So my auto detect display type is 4K HDR 30Hz. I manually changed the display type to 4K 60Hz (no HDR) and the Ultra HD 4K labels reappeared with the streaming stats confirming it was 4K playback.

However as you can probably guess, the HDR labels were then gone. I changed my display type back to 4K HDR 30Hz and the HDR labels returned while the Ultra HD 4K labels were gone again. The streaming stats showed 1080p playback.

It is seemingly making me choose between 4K or HDR but it won’t give me both even though my TV certainly supports it. This is very frustrating.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Netflix app not giving me 4K playback

This sounds like your HDMI cable isn't supporting the full 18 Gbps speed required for 4K/60 HDR. Give a different cable a try. You also didn't mention if you are connected through an AVR or soundbar. They too must support HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 for 4K/60. 
.
Also, does your TV had settings for the HDMI ports that are labeled Ultra UHD, Deep color, or some other setting per port? That too would have to be enabled to support 4K/60 HDR. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
gandrew
Level 7

Re: Netflix app not giving me 4K playback

"atc98092" wrote:
This sounds like your HDMI cable isn't supporting the full 18 Gbps speed required for 4K/60 HDR. Give a different cable a try. You also didn't mention if you are connected through an AVR or soundbar. They too must support HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 for 4K/60. 
.

i was having the same problem and when i got it fix i found the same thing. Using a different cable will work 
0 Kudos
lpelleg1
Level 7

Re: Netflix app not giving me 4K playback

"atc98092" wrote:
This sounds like your HDMI cable isn't supporting the full 18 Gbps speed required for 4K/60 HDR. Give a different cable a try. You also didn't mention if you are connected through an AVR or soundbar. They too must support HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 for 4K/60. 
.
Also, does your TV had settings for the HDMI ports that are labeled Ultra UHD, Deep color, or some other setting per port? That too would have to be enabled to support 4K/60 HDR. 

This is the HDMI cable I am using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SX4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

The Roku says it is detecting HDCP 2.2 but I tried swapping with a different cable anyway. The result was the same. Again, I am only having this issue with Netflix. I am getting 4K playback with HDR on the Prime Video app and with movies I've rented/bought in the Fandango app. I have a Vizio soundbar connected to the TV via separate HDMI but the Roku is not running through it. My TV doesn't have any settings for the HDMI ports that I can find.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

Re: Netflix app not giving me 4K playback

Here's what I would try:

On the Roku:
Go to Settings
Go to Advanced Display Settings

See what your HDCP is set for in this Roku setting.  Is it currently set for 4:2:2? If so, try setting it for 4:2:0.  Try Netflix again. Is it set for 4:2:0 already? Try setting it for 4:2:2 and try Netflix.

re: Your TV:  HDMI 1 on your TV has the best HDR range of options vs. HDMI 2-4.  HDMI inputs 2-4 only provide 8-bit color at a lower clock rate than HDMI 1 ( HDMI 1 = 12 bit / higher clock rate).  

Additionally, HDMI 1 is HDMI 2.0a capable (really needed for HDR). HDMI inputs 2-4 are only HDMI 1.4 capable. HDR here would be quite iffy.
0 Kudos
lpelleg1
Level 7

Re: Netflix app not giving me 4K playback

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
Here's what I would try:

On the Roku:
Go to Settings
Go to Advanced Display Settings

See what your HDCP is set for in this Roku setting.  Is it currently set for 4:2:2? If so, try setting it for 4:2:0.  Try Netflix again. Is it set for 4:2:0 already? Try setting it for 4:2:2 and try Netflix.

re: Your TV:  HDMI 1 on your TV has the best HDR range of options vs. HDMI 2-4.  HDMI inputs 2-4 only provide 8-bit color at a lower clock rate than HDMI 1 ( HDMI 1 = 12 bit / higher clock rate).  

Additionally, HDMI 1 is HDMI 2.0a capable (really needed for HDR). HDMI inputs 2-4 are only HDMI 1.4 capable. HDR here would be quite iffy.


Thanks I will look at that. After my last post I looked at my TV manual and saw what you’re talking about with HDMI port 1. I swapped the Roku to that port and it seemed to fix the issue. The Roku auto detected 4K HDR 60Hz in that port whereas it was only detecting 4K HDR 30Hz in the others. I’m getting 4K and HDR on Netflix playback now.

My new problem is that is my soundbar was connected to port 1 as it’s the only ARC port. But I can just connect the soundbar with an optical cable I suppose.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

Re: Netflix app not giving me 4K playback

Great. Question: Does your soundbar have a separate HDMI input as well as an HDMI ARC in/out? If so, you might try just hooking the Roku up into that input, and then the soundbar back to the ARC - out / ARC HDMI in on the Vizio.  Otherwise, if optical works, that's good, too.
0 Kudos

Roku Ultra - Netflix app 4k not working

[post merged with same issue thread]

When I try to watch Netflix, all the titles are showing up as HD instead of Ultra HD 4K. I verified by clicking the * button on the remote and the highest I'm getting is 1080. Some titles also have the HDR label, but the resolution is still limited to 1080.

The built-in Netflix app on my tv works fine and it correctly shows the Ultra HD 4K label and I'm able to get 2160 resolution. 

My equipment:

TV: Samsung UN55JU6500
Receiver: Denon AVR-720W
Roku Ultra 4660X

I feed everything to my receiver and output video from the receiver to my TV, but I've also tried hooking the Roku up directly to the TV and still have the same problem. 

Using auto-detect, the Roku selects 4K HDR 30Hz as the display mode. If I manually change the resolution on Roku to 4K 60Hz, Ultra HD 4K returns but HDR titles is now gone. None of the other modes seem to make the Ultra HD 4K label appear. 

0 Kudos