Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Netflix app doesn't remember my progress on a TV show when I quit and come back

Jump to solution

The past few months I've frequently encountered a very annoying problem with the Netflix app on my Roku Streaming Stick+ (2017). What happens is I will watch an episode of a TV show on Netflix. At the end when the button to watch the next episode appears, I will click the back button on the remote then click the home button to return to the Roku home screen. When I later return to watch the next episode, I will find that the TV show is still on the previous episode and my progress has been set back usually with something like 8-15 minutes left in the episode. I then either have to watch the previous episode and fast forward to the end or manually go to the next episode and start watching it.

I have had this stick for several years and the process described above worked like I would expect for most of that time. Only in the past several months has it routinely exhibited this issue.

I expect this is just a bug in the Netflix app that will be fixed eventually. But if anybody has encountered the same issue and has a repeatable solution to it, I would greatly appreciate it. I did try doing a live chat with Netflix but the tech just wanted me to do stuff I had already tried like disabling auto-play or removing the re-adding the app.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Netflix app doesn't remember my progress on a TV show when I quit and come back

Jump to solution

@redwards24 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Netflix support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Netflix support here: https://help.netflix.com/en/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 12

Re: Netflix app doesn't remember my progress on a TV show when I quit and come back

Jump to solution

I've seen that on other devices too.  If you let the next episode start for a second before you quit you'll restart in the right place.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes I've been doing that although it usually takes more like 20-30 seconds for it to work reliably. That's a workaround but not a fix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@redwards24 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Netflix support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Netflix support here: https://help.netflix.com/en/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos