Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Netflix Startup Sound

Use headphones sounds like a lazy way to manage poor user experience. I don't want to use headphones, my TV volume was quiet enough not to wake anyone until an unnecessary and loud startup sound is played. We can all figure out ways to work around bad design, or we can simply fix the bad design and give users what they want/need.
Highlighted
Level 7

It's horrible. Please, please, please make it go buh-bye. It is so loud and sometimes disorienting ... ouch. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

It took about 3 years of complaints before we were able to 'toggle off' Auto Preview feature. I guess Netflix still sees some 'value' in torturing us with the startup sound a bit longer for some mysterious reason.

Netflix conducted a study that shows 3 seasons and 30 episodes is when a TV series loses its ability to attract new subscribers. It is why you see so many series now ending at Season 3. Perhaps there is a study that shows the 'startup sound' mesmerizes us into staying subscribed or in the app longer. Who knows?

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@stewsucher wrote:
Can we add a feature to disable to loud "ba-boom" sound that Netflix makes when the app sometimes starts up? The noise is usually very loud and startles my family if I watch a show late at night. It's even startling during the day! I really don't understand what purpose it would ever serve, but makes for a bad user experience. 

The only solution is probably to cancel the Netflix app. That is the only solution of the Netflix app startup sound.

You might need an older Roku with the older Roku OS software in order to have the Netflix app without the startup sound, as I believe the startup sound to the newer software is built into it, never changeable.

~Jordan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This is Netflix, not Roku.  Last night I had a movie on at volume 28, due to low dialog volume.  Stopped watching it and was browsing.  Suddenly - BA-BONG!!!!!  I use a 1973 stereo for my sound.  The speakers are 2 feet tall and weight 50 lbs.  16" woofers.  About gave me a heart attack!  The cat is still giving me the evil eye.  Unfortunately the CEO of Netflix is an egotistical dork and won't listen.

0 Kudos