Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stewsucher
Level 7

Netflix Startup Sound

Can we add a feature to disable to loud "ba-boom" sound that Netflix makes when the app sometimes starts up? The noise is usually very loud and startles my family if I watch a show late at night. It's even startling during the day! I really don't understand what purpose it would ever serve, but makes for a bad user experience. 
0 Kudos
10 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Netflix Startup Sound

"stewsucher" wrote:
Can we add a feature to disable to loud "ba-boom" sound that Netflix makes when the app sometimes starts up? The noise is usually very loud and startles my family if I watch a show late at night. It's even startling during the day! I really don't understand what purpose it would ever serve, but makes for a bad user experience. 

That's built into the Netflix channel. Nothing external can be done other than muting your audio when you start it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
stewsucher
Level 7

lame. I'll contact netflix about it. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Good luck. They don't seem to listen much.  Smiley LOL
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

"stewsucher" wrote:
lame. I'll contact netflix about it. 

LOL as if they'll listen!
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"stewsucher" wrote:

As you've discovered, that's within the app, which Netflix writes and maintains.

But for users of Roku devices that have remotes with headphones, using headphones for late-night listening stops it. Well, it doesn't stop it, but it directs it to the headphones, which would accomplish the goal of not playing where others can here it. Also, other sounds from within the Netflix (or any app) content that would wake someone won't do that.

You didn't say what Roku player you have, so I can't say if that's an option for you. But if your device came with a remote with headphones, then it is an option for you.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

Best solution is to cancel Netflix.
0 Kudos
mike1977
Level 7

Or get an old Roku with the old UI, like the 2xs
0 Kudos
jb78
Level 7

I also hate the Netflix startup sound...it is so JARRING. Why the heck did they create that?
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

The sad part...  It's actually BETTER than what it was.  And yeah, it's pretty jarring. 
0 Kudos