Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Netflix Not Working On Roku

About two weeks ago Netflix stopped working on Roku, mostly in the evenings.  It sometimes works in the mornings.  It freezes on the Netflix logo and after a prolonged delay shows an error like tvq-st-131.  I troubleshooted that error repeatedly with Netflix Help, including checking my internet connection and speed, restarting Roku and restarting my home network (Router).  Netflix Help submitted a ticket with its technical team and assured me the problem would be resolved but it remains.  I no longer can watch Netflix on Roku in the evenings.  Amazon Prime streams fine on Roku, as do other channels.  I can watch Netflix on the computer and phone in the evenings, but not Roku.  I checked with my ISP who found my internet connection and speed to be fine.  My ISP said the problem is with Netflix, that during this period of increased demand because of the situation, Netflix has problems delivering its streaming service, especially in the evenings when more people access Netflix.  It seems there is something about the way the Netflix channel on Roku is programmed that is at the root of the problem, since other Roku channels stream fine, since troubleshooting with Netflix Help did not help, and since my ISP found nothing wrong with my internet service.  I need Netflix to resolve the problem.  I subscribe to Netflix to watch it on Roku.  It is very frustrating that Netflix is not living up to its end of the bargain.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Netflix Not Working On Roku

What model Roku are you using when this happens? Support for some of the older Roku players is being dropped by some providers. I don't personally use Netflix anymore, but perhaps someone else can advise if they are having issues. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku Express. I got it because my older SE model was no longer fully supported.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@yanny 

Thanks for the information.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend continuing to work directly with Netflix to request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Netflix channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I partly agree.  But Roku should work with its channel providers so the channels work.  I see it as a shared responsibility.  In this case Netflix and Roku should work together to ensure that the Netflix channel on Roku works.

Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same problem. Netflix works fine on my other TV (Sony) so I don't think this is a Netflix problem. The problem is with Roku software that is somehow rejecting the interconnect with Netflix.

0 Kudos