Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J7t21s
Level 7

Netflix Not Coming Up In Voice Search

Hi guys,
I just recently bought the Roku Streaming Stick with 4K and when I use voice search items that I know are on Netflix do not come up with the choice to use Netflix. I also tried to voice command “open Netflix” and it says that Netflix is not installed but it is. When I manually open Netflix it works perfectly. Anyone know of this problem and know how to fix it?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Netflix Not Coming Up In Voice Search

Is it a voice search issue, or a search issue? That is, can you type in content and find it on Netflix? If so, then, yes, it's a voice search issue. If not, then it's an overall search issue.

Not that I have a solution for either, as I don't subscribe to Netflix and don't have a lot of recent experience with it. But, this bit of clarification may help others determine what, if any, solution lies for you.

Also, if you would give an example of content you're looking for, perhaps that would help someone replicate the issue, and perhaps lead to a solution.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
Is it a voice search issue, or a search issue? That is, can you type in content and find it on Netflix? If so, then, yes, it's a voice search issue. If not, then it's an overall search issue.

Not that I have a solution for either, as I don't subscribe to Netflix and don't have a lot of recent experience with it. But, this bit of clarification may help others determine what, if any, solution lies for you.

Also, if you would give an example of content you're looking for, perhaps that would help someone replicate the issue, and perhaps lead to a solution.

Are you sure the text search and voice search are two different mechanisms? I think both voice and text search are in fact the same search mechanism under the hood, just with two different forms of input. It is clear whether the voice input picks up the right words to search for as they are presented on the screen immediately after you have said them, so none of these voice search issues are about the accuracy of the voice input. I think the core search mechanism is just really buggy. It does pick up things from Netflix for me, but very little else. This sounds like exactly the same problem I have with the search function. Voice works fine, but the search algorithm itself is well flaky. Typing in the terms makes zero difference to this unfortunate situation.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

That was the reason for the question. OP said voice search was a problem. I’m asking if that’s actually true. If the problem only occurs with voice search — the only thing OP said — then that is different than a general search issue. Perhaps voice is adding non-displaying characters. For clarity, it would be good to know if the problem is confined to voice search. That’s easy enough to check. That’s what I’m asking.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
J7t21s
Level 7

The voice portion works as it picks up and searches the correct phrases. Just the results from the search doesn’t show all the media programs that I can watch. If I search “the office”, it comes up for amazon prime video and vudu etc. but the Netflix option doesn’t show up even though I know it’s offered on Netflix. Some times I say “open Netflix” and it comes back that I have to install it even though it is installed. I think there is a bug between the Netflix app and the roku OS
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Let's focus on just Netflix then. Try this, if you will.

Sign out of Netflix.

Remove Netflix from the Roku.

Reboot the Roku.

Check for updates.

Add Netflix and log in.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous: