Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srglassw
Level 7

Netflix Download Speed - Roku vs. TV

On my Roku 3 using the Netflix app's Settings/Get help/Check your network function I get a download speed of +/- 33.0 Mbps but using the same function in the Netflix app on my Sony smart TV I get a download speed of +/- 83.0 Mbps. On my desktop computer I also get a download speed of +/- 83.0 Mbps on my ISP's speed test. I don't understand why there would be such a difference on the Roku and I wonder if this is normal and explainable.

All three devices are connected by Cat 5e Ethernet to a Netgear R7000 (AC1900) router. The Roku 3 and the Sony TV are connected to a gigabit network switch by Cat 7 Ethernet cable and the switch is connected to the router with Cat 5e Ethernet. Both the Roku 3 and the Sony TV, then, are essentially on the same network connection but they achieve vastly different reported download speeds.

I have reset the network connection on the Roku 3, I have done a factory reset (hold reset button for 30+ seconds) on the Roku 3, and reset the router. Nevertheless, the reported download speeds remain unchanged. Does anyone have any insights into why there would be a difference in the reported download speeds?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Netflix Download Speed - Roku vs. TV

The Roku devices never seem to show full network speed. However, remember that Netflix tops out at 16 Mbps at the highest, so you're still fine. I've seen similar speed discrepancies on my Roku players, but I've also played YouTube 4K videos with the stats window visible, and have seen well over 40 Mbps. And I've also streamed from my home media server and have seen bitrate peaks approaching 80 Mbps, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

If there were no way for you to see the numbers, would you notice a quality difference?
0 Kudos
srglassw
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
The Roku devices never seem to show full network speed. However, remember that Netflix tops out at 16 Mbps at the highest, so you're still fine. I've seen similar speed discrepancies on my Roku players, but I've also played YouTube 4K videos with the stats window visible, and have seen well over 40 Mbps. And I've also streamed from my home media server and have seen bitrate peaks approaching 80 Mbps, so I wouldn't worry about it.

twiceover:
If there were no way for you to see the numbers, would you notice a quality difference?

No, I'm not experiencing any quality differences, just puzzled by the difference reported between the two Netflix apps. The Roku 3 doesn't support 4K video so I mostly use the TV Netflix app which does do 4K. Thanks for responding.
0 Kudos