Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Netflix Channel Vast Differences

I have 3 Roku's but mostly use my 2720X in my living room and my Premier 4620 on my patio. The way Netflix appears on these 2 is drastically different. On the 2720X it has a red background, comes right to MY LIST which runs across the top.  I like this.  On the 4620 it is a black background, comes up to either things I've recently watched or suggested viewing.  To get to My List I have to go to the left side of the screen and move the menu down to MY LIST. Why are these so different?  Any way to set one type over the other?  I have checked for updates and both devices say they are up to date.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 14

Re: Netflix Channel Vast Differences

The 2720 is very old (released September 2013) and is running an ancient interface. Don't be surprised if Netflix disappears eventually on it. Netflix is already dropping support for some older Roku's and TV's next month.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Legacy-Products/Netflix-will-stop-working-on-some-older-Samsung-T...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I did see that and noticed the the 2720 is NOT affected.  It's really not right that anyone should have to replace a Roku that still works, just because some company (in this case Netflix) wants to drop supporting a given model.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@QuiGonJohn wrote:

I did see that and noticed the the 2720 is NOT affected.  It's really not right that anyone should have to replace a Roku that still works, just because some company (in this case Netflix) wants to drop supporting a given model.

Well, we can't argue with you, but Netflix is solely responsible for deciding which players to support. I'm surprised that the 2720 isn't on the discontinued list. I expected them to drop support for all players that don't support Netflix profiles or the annoying auto-play video previews. But then, Netflix is so big they don't seem to care what the individual end user wants any longer. It's all about how to make money on everything they can.Yeah, they're in business to make money, but they really don't listen to user complaints about their product.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I got an offer from Roku to upgrade my 2720 to a Roku Express + for $15.  Is the remote that comes with that, (which says Voice Remote with TV Controls) an RF Remote or is it IR line of sight?  I still think it strange, and a big sign of money grab that my "old" 2720 comes with RF, yet a fairly new Roku Premiere only has an IR.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@QuiGonJohn wrote:

I got an offer from Roku to upgrade my 2720 to a Roku Express + for $15.  Is the remote that comes with that, (which says Voice Remote with TV Controls) an RF Remote or is it IR line of sight?  I still think it strange, and a big sign of money grab that my "old" 2720 comes with RF, yet a fairly new Roku Premiere only has an IR.

The latest model Express+ is the 3910. According to the Wiki site, it comes with a basic IR remote, but it's been reported here that it does support the advanced WiFi voice remote. I can't confirm that myself. My Premiere 3920 came with an IR remote, but I can see in the menu that a WiFi remote will sync as well. 

I received that email as well, and for $15 it's a phenomenal deal. It's also the only current Roku that offers analog out, which many people need for older sets. Other that only having an IR remote, it's a huge step up from your 2720, and even more so for my 3100 Roku 2 XS. If I still needed to use mine, I would jump on this. But I replaced it long ago because it was so under-powered. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

well Roku's own site comparison says it is the Voice with TV Control remote, not the Standard IR remote that the regular EXPRESS comes with.

Well I might go for it, and I do need the analog (composite V with R & W A).  But it is still piss-poor that an "upgrade" does not have as good of a remote as the "old" Roku I already own.

Also, why is it on this "new Roku Site I have to login everytime, even when I choose REMEMBER ME.  I am on Firefox and do not have to do this with MANY other websites.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@QuiGonJohn wrote:

Also, why is it on this "new Roku Site I have to login everytime, even when I choose REMEMBER ME.  I am on Firefox and do not have to do this with MANY other websites.

Yeah, the Remember Me function doesn't work. But I use Chrome and it saves my name and password, so it only takes a moment to log in. It's annoying, yes. But considering the spam the old forum was constantly bombarded with, I guess I can live with it.

I'm a moderator on another forum that allows saving credentials across browser sessions, and for the past month it's been hit almost daily with Russian language spam posts. I used to delete posts and ban someone a couple of times a month. Now I'm doing 4-5 a day sometimes. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Can anyone confirm this for the exact truth?  The email I mentioned, received from Roku, with the offer for the $15 Roku Express +, specifically states it comes with composite cable.

"Roku Express+ delivers a faster HD streaming experience and includes optional composite cables if you’re connecting to an older TV."

But went to Walmart to look at one and the guy working there said NO, it only supports HDMI.  My TV (which still works fine, great picture) is pre-HDMI.

So I need confirmation.  It would help if within the "Products" portion of this website, they actually had pictures that showed the back of the Roku device and the possible connections.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Yes, the Express+ has analog outputs. The sales person you spoke with was either thinking of the Express or Premiere (without the +), or just didn't know what he was talking about. 

Dan
0 Kudos