Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cio52
Level 8

Re: Netflix Atmos comes to Roku TV's so....

Hi TorinC23.  I'm not really understanding how your complex system of TV receivers/speakers are set up.  I watch shows on Netlix with ATMOS all the time.  One thing you might try is, use a Toslink/optical cable back from your TV (ARC) to the AVR and then see what you get.  My Samsung 9000 series (2018) will only pass through 5.1 on the Toslink cable so I could only play BlueRay/ATMOS from my disc player until I got the Roku Ultra.  Not sure about this but you may only be able to play ATMOS using HDMI.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TorinC23
Level 7

It's not complicated I have a roku ultra directly to my receiver with hdmi and my appletv 4k directly by hdmi to my receiver.  The receiver does the complicated bit sending the sound to the speakers and video to the projector.  Not sure what device you are using to watch netflix with atmos but I also watch netflix with atmos with the apple tv. What no one does is watch netflix with atmos using a roku player. 

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23886

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cio52
Level 8

I am using Roku Ultra and getting Atmos on Netflix.  Please read my explanations on this thread:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Netflix-Dolby-Atmos-on-Ultra/m-p/536....  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TorinC23
Level 7

Yes I read the thread.  I didn't see where you were getting netflix atmos on your roku and still don't. That  your receiver shows you an atmos selection but then doesn't show that you are playing atmos doesn't convince me you are getting atmos.  You also are seeing the same behavior on hbo.  HBO has never published anything with atmos.  Yes the Roku can pass atmos.  Netflix does not allow a player to PASS atmos.  Netflix requires the player to decode Atmos.  A pop up on your Denon deciding how to decode netflix audio means you are not getting a netflix atmos singal because, under their current policy, a netflix atmos signal will have already been decoded.

Another important clue is that link I added where netflix says you are not getting atmos with a roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cio52
Level 8

IMG_20200201_160845772.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cio52
Level 8

So, the screen shot above was taken from a Netflix movie called 
Hit and Run in the first 30 seconds.  It "SAID" it was a 5.1 HDR, OK!.  My AVR said it was playing in Dolby ATMOS.  It sounded really good.  I'm OK with Netflix... their stock is still way too expensive!  Let's all go watch a movie, LOL.  John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cio52
Level 8

BTW, the Dolby Atmos selection is not always available on all movies from Netflix, HBO, or Showtime in my experience with the Denon AVR.  Cheers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Timbiotic
Level 7

Cio52’s receiver is up converting to Dolby atmos. You can check Netflix help support center and search for Apple TV first. You will see it has Dolby atmos under features. Then search Roku. Best it supports is basic 5.1 surround. And the screenshots he post in the thread are also just the credits saying recorded in atmos. This doesn’t mean  the signal received is atmos. From reading a manual from Denon it looks like it defaults to Dolby Atmos encoding / up-converting listening mode. Similar to 1080p to 4K upconversion that many receivers do.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2600H/NA/EN/GFNFSYvhhpesdv.php

0 Kudos