Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justinhow
Level 7

Netflix Atmos comes to Roku TV's so....

...will we see it on any Roku devices?
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066
"Roku TVs (2018 or newer models)"
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mutus72
Level 7

Re: Netflix Atmos comes to Roku TV's so....

Yeah. I'm also wondering why Roku, a device fully capable of Dolby Atmos, isn't able supported.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

It's up to Netflix. Nothing Roku can do about it. Yes, Netflix is really taking their time with their rollout. One more reason I cancelled my Netflix account. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
It's up to Netflix. Nothing Roku can do about it. Yes, Netflix is really taking their time with their rollout. One more reason I cancelled my Netflix account. 

Curious - has Netflix or Roku said as much regarding which devices can utilize Atmos and who's the arbiter of such? Honestly, without knowing any better, it seems like more of a Roku issue than anything else - perhaps a licensing fee per box?  It doesn't really make sense that the relatively new Apple 4K box can do this but not Roku's high end set tops.  I know it's not a direct comparison, hardware-wise, but seems like the Roku Ultras, etc., should be able to provide this capability.
0 Kudos
justinhow
Level 7

I have an NVIDIA Sheild TV and NVIDIA seem to have the same problem (their forum reps have posted) getting Netflx to work with them to enable support of Atmos.
So this all seems to bottleneck at Netflix - look at the number of standalone devices that support Netflix Atmos - there are very very few.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

When Netflix began streaming Atmos, they had exclusive contracts with LG for their TVs and Microsoft for the X-Box. Those have now expired, and Netflix is slowly, slowly adding new device support. What their timeframe is, only they know. There's nothing Roku can do to speed it up. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 7

1 year exclusive and another 1 year exclusive makes 2 years so around this fall.
0 Kudos
CSmyre64
Level 7

Well I do know that I'm able to watch movies on Vudu with full Atmos support on the same TCL Roku TV that is unable to stream Netflix in Atmos which sure makes me think that it's on Netflix and not Roku
0 Kudos
cio52
Level 1

Want to agree with the comment by CSmyre64 about Atmos support.  I watched Hobbs and Shaw on Vudu in 4k with full dolby Atmos sound over my Roku Ultra and Denon AVR X6300H on 10/20/2019.  On Netflix 4k streaming using the Roku Ultra 4670RW I get a selection for Dolby Atmos/ surround sound in a pop-up box on my TV screen but then the AVR displays Dolby Digital+ +DDS when the pop-up disappears.  The Roku literature (and my Denon) states that Atmos is available as a pass through on their units and it sounds great.  I've had the same results on HBO and Showtime.

0 Kudos