Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Need help watching A&E?

I just bought 3 ROKU sticks and I am so not the most technological. So if I want to watch A&E do I need to pay to get A&E app?  There are channels I watch all the time and I guess I thought they would be there and I am sure they are and I just can't find them.

A&E

Bravo

WETV

NBC

MTV

Food Network to name a few

And since I canceled cable is the DVR world over?  Meaning if I miss a show do I just not get to see it now?  Sorry to be so dumb about this all.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: HELP for someone who doesn't get it LOL - and is recording over?

I don't watch any of those channels, so I can't be precise about if they have a charge. (they probably do) The way many channels work, you either need a subscription (Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, etc.), it's free with an optional paid subscription to remove ads or see additional content (YouTube and others), completely free with ads (The Roku Channel and many more), or an account with a provider is necessary. This last one means you have a cable or satellite subscription you can use those credentials to access the channel. I can't say which model any of those channels use. You can probably find that information either within the channel itself or they direct you to a website for more information.

No Roku has a DVR function. However, many channels allow you to look at past programs (CBS All Access has the vast majority of their TV programs available). In fact, the majority of the channels available on a streaming device (not just a Roku) are considered on demand, which means you watch what you want, when you want to watch it. There are some channels that just stream whatever is on their cable/satellite service. I know of no streaming player that allows saving something for later playback. However, if it's an over the air broadcast you want to save, there are numerous ways to do that. I use a Windows PC with a tuner card and J River for the DVR function, but there are many different software DVR packages available. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos