Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Franco61
Level 7

Need help to install HBO MAX

For some reason my Roku shows only the HBO Max FYC and not the other one, can somebody help me so I can download the correct app? 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: Need help to install HBO MAX

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Where are you located? Max might not be available in your location.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mdpkremer
Level 7

Hello,

I am having the same issue trying to find the HBO Max app in the Channel Store, both online and on my Roku TV. I saw the app earlier when I did a search, but now it is gone (can only see Max FYC). 

My Roku TV software is updated at 9.4 OS. Otherwise, I am not sure what to do. I get annoyed when the answer channels are not available is due to "location". I don't understand how a location is an issue if the service is provided through internet access/WiFi etc., not a cable provider.

Thanks for any help and clarification.

0 Kudos
Franco61
Level 7

In Dallas,TX but it's weird cause I have a ROKU TV and it does appear on that one 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@mdpkremer By location, they mean that just because a service is available in a certain country, it might not be available on Roku devices. That is controlled in a setting in the Channel Store, and only the channel developer can make those changes. If you're in the US, then location doesn't matter. It's solely a country by country issue. 

Location is determined by your public IP address. The providers identify your location and ensure that it's a permitted location before allowing the media to stream. That's why someone can use a channel in one location, but they move to a different country and now it won't work.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Franco61

Thanks for the follow up.

What Roku model device are you trying to install the HBO Max channel on? As @atc98092 mentioned, the device needs to be supported by the channel provider, otherwise the channel will not appear on the device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Anjie22
Level 7

Same issue. Model 3050X-Roku 2 XD. 
-Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Anjie22 The Roku 2 XD is no longer supported by Roku. It does not receive new OS updates, and HBO Max will not be available on it. Your player is almost 10 years old. Time for an upgrade. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Anjie22
Level 7

Oh snap. Eh, I guess HBO is out the question then lol I’ll stick to Prime and Netflix til they get knocked. Thank you for your quick response! 

0 Kudos