Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Need Advice Setting Up CableTV Alternative for Grandfather.

Hello, like many others I am done paying ludicrous cable bills, the only person using the cable is my grandfather.
He watches the following local channels:
PBS
CBS
NBC
FOX
ABC
Additionally he watches ESPN and CNN. Both non local channels I could get in app form.
That's it. That's all he watches.
I need an way to get him setup with an alternative that is still super easy to use. His own words - "if I can't hit a channel number and have it come up then don't bother."

I plan on getting him an antenna for the local channels, however asking him to swap inputs on the tv then click on either the espn or cnn app through a roku/fire-stick is too much for him.
What are my options to get him some form of solution that is all on one input and requires nothing more than the press of a channel number to navigate?

I see the roku supports an input from an antenna, but I know nothing more.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Need Advice Setting Up CableTV Alternative for Grandfather.

Unfortunately, you won't get a simple put a channel in and get ESPN or CNN. Best thing in this case would be the antenna you already are getting, plus Sling (an Internet based cable provider), which gets you ESPN and CNN for the lowest price which is $25 a month. He would have to navigate to the Sling app on Roku to get to CNN and ESPN.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos

Paying for something like sling is exactly what im trying to avoid $25 a month still turns into $275 a year. Which again for two channels is crazy.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

Roku tv's have input from an antenna, but no stand alone Rokus have it, ESPN has a stand alone subscription for $5 a month i think, but I don't know what it allows you to watch, It probably has a free trial if you want to try it out, there is no way to get CNN without a streaming service like trekkeriii mentioned.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"ghb51" wrote:
Roku tv's have input from an antenna, but no stand alone Rokus have it, ESPN has a stand alone subscription for $5 a month i think, but I don't know what it allows you to watch, It probably has a free trial if you want to try it out, there is no way to get CNN without a streaming service like trekkeriii mentioned.

If his #1 request is "I want to hit a channel number and have it come up", then Roku standalone or Roku TV is not his best option. No channel numbers to hit.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos