Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CodeButcher
Streaming Star

NHK-World no server connection

Has anyone been able to connect to NHK-World channel?  Everytime I try to open it hangs for a while and says, No Server Connection.  My other channels work, like NetFlix, YouTube, Disney+ and Prime Video.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: NHK-World no server connection

I just tried NHK WORLD-JAPAN and it works for me.  Try removing the channel from the Home Screen, reboot/restart your Roku, and add the channel again.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
CodeButcher
Streaming Star

@renojim wrote:

I just tried NHK WORLD-JAPAN and it works for me.  Try removing the channel from the Home Screen, reboot/restart your Roku, and add the channel again.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

0 Kudos
JunZ
Reel Rookie

@CodeButcher I have the same issue and tried to uninstall / reinstall a few times. The problem is still not resolved. NHK World-japan team suggested me to use NHK World-japan app v1.6 and that ver1.2 - ver1.4 has been unsupported any more.  But after I reinstalled the app from my Roku account, I checked the version of the app on Roku, and its version is still 1.2. I don't know how to get the v1.6 and I will have to continue my communication with NHK World-japan team.

Anyone who has any idea, please share. In the meantime I will keeping trying and will post back here if I have a solution. Thanks.

0 Kudos
CodeButcher
Streaming Star

I no longer have the problem after switching my DSL (Frontier) to Spectrum.  I switched about a year ago and have not had any problems since.  I have a theory that many of my previous connection issues are with Frontier.  My connection would yo-yo while downloading.  I have Tivo and it would not update the guide consistently on a daily basis, even when I forced the update.  After switching to Spectrum it went away.  I should of switched long ago, but I was hoping for Fios to be available in my area, but that never happened.

0 Kudos
renojim

@JunZ, what is the model number of your Roku and software version displayed under Settings->System->About?

0 Kudos
JunZ
Reel Rookie

@renojim Thanks. Here is the information:

Model: 3100X-Roku 2 XS

Software version: 9.1.0 build 5009-02

I have not changed internet connection, nor any hardware. It just stopped working for me after many years of normal watching. All other apps work fine at this moment.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
CodeButcher
Streaming Star

Model: 3920RW Roku Premiere

Version: 10.5.0 Build 4208-91

NHK-World App Ver. 1.6

0 Kudos
renojim

@JunZ, your Roku 2 XS is pretty much obsolete.  It won't receive anymore updates, so you'll never be able to get the current NHK channel.  One by one your channels/apps will probably stop working.  Check https://my.roku.com/offers or https://my.roku.com/upgrade for a deal on a new Roku device.  Any of the current models will blow your Roku 2 XS out of the water.

@CodeButcher, you shouldn't be having any problem.  The only thing I can suggest is to restart everything (gateway/modem/router) if you haven't already or try an alternate network like your phone's hotspot, if possible, just to see what happens.  It isn't a solution, but will tell us if it's some kind of network issue.

0 Kudos
CodeButcher
Streaming Star

@renojim wrote:

@JunZ, your Roku 2 XS is pretty much obsolete.  It won't receive anymore updates, so you'll never be able to get the current NHK channel.  One by one your channels/apps will probably stop working.  Check https://my.roku.com/offers or https://my.roku.com/upgrade for a deal on a new Roku device.  Any of the current models will blow your Roku 2 XS out of the water.

@CodeButcher, you shouldn't be having any problem.  The only thing I can suggest is to restart everything (gateway/modem/router) if you haven't already or try an alternate network like your phone's hotspot, if possible, just to see what happens.  It isn't a solution, but will tell us if it's some kind of network issue.

I was also going to suggest getting a newer or different Roku device.

As for me, I just replied to answer @JunZ.  I haven't had a problem with NHK-World since I switched to Spectrum from Frontier. I've also changed to AppleTV, because at the time I switched to Spectrum, Roku temporarily discontinued the Spectrum Channel. So I moved the Rokus to other TVs in the house. 

I do notice that the Roku in my Kitchen TV does seem to loose signal when I use the microwave.

0 Kudos