Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerFiend12
Level 8

NBC app - “needs to authenticate” despite delete/reboot/add/reboot

We have a relatively new (2019?) TCL Roku TV, and have full cable service through Frontier. I’m pretty tech-handy, but am entirely befuddled. For the past 5+ months, I’ve been unable to get NBC app to show anything but free shows. The app launches fine, and I get “Sorry! We’re having some trouble... Needs to re-authenticate. Error code: CloudpathErrorAuthorization” when I try to watch non-freebie shows. 

I have the NBC app authenticated working fine on our Samsung TVs, my iPad, laptop, iPhone. I have deleted the app, rebooted, readied the app, rebooted many many times. Other apps authenticate fine. This one, I never get prompted to authenticate, and I don’t see where I can enter my cable login in my settings in my.Roku.com or on the TV itself.

I’ve reached out to NBC and was told to delete cookies (ahem, it’s a TV not a browser). I’ve tried adding the app via my.Roku.com - again, didn’t see where to authenticate. I just confirmed that my Roku OS is current, and I am downloading the current app. 

I’m going to try a full reset because this is driving me batty. It’s absurd that Roku doesn’t have a core place to authenticate subscriptions, or that each app works entirely differently. Samsung, AppleTV all have consistent authentication APIs for the apps (actually, AppleTVs is stored centrally - even better). 

Any ideas? Please?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: NBC app - “needs to authenticate” despite delete/reboot/add/reboot

In the NBC app, at the top go to More | My Profile.  Now link to your tv provider.

You use a browser to go to nbc.com/activate, hence the suggestion to clear cookies.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
John4rtv
Level 7

I have re authentication on my iPhone under App for NBC but still get error msg on my RokuTV that Dish is my provider still shows up. Spectrum is my new provider but When I open NBC on roku dish in the upper right corner is still there

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@John4rtv

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's authentication and functionality, you'll want to contact NBC support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach NBC support here: https://help.nbc.com/hc/en-us

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos