Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBC app - “needs to authenticate” despite delete/reboot/add/reboot

We have a relatively new (2019?) TCL Roku TV, and have full cable service through Frontier. I’m pretty tech-handy, but am entirely befuddled. For the past 5+ months, I’ve been unable to get NBC app to show anything but free shows. The app launches fine, and I get “Sorry! We’re having some trouble... Needs to re-authenticate. Error code: CloudpathErrorAuthorization” when I try to watch non-freebie shows. 

I have the NBC app authenticated working fine on our Samsung TVs, my iPad, laptop, iPhone. I have deleted the app, rebooted, readied the app, rebooted many many times. Other apps authenticate fine. This one, I never get prompted to authenticate, and I don’t see where I can enter my cable login in my settings in my.Roku.com or on the TV itself.

I’ve reached out to NBC and was told to delete cookies (ahem, it’s a TV not a browser). I’ve tried adding the app via my.Roku.com - again, didn’t see where to authenticate. I just confirmed that my Roku OS is current, and I am downloading the current app. 

I’m going to try a full reset because this is driving me batty. It’s absurd that Roku doesn’t have a core place to authenticate subscriptions, or that each app works entirely differently. Samsung, AppleTV all have consistent authentication APIs for the apps (actually, AppleTVs is stored centrally - even better). 

Any ideas? Please?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 19

Re: NBC app - “needs to authenticate” despite delete/reboot/add/reboot

In the NBC app, at the top go to More | My Profile.  Now link to your tv provider.

You use a browser to go to nbc.com/activate, hence the suggestion to clear cookies.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos