Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ecualum08
Level 7

NBC Sports App Not Loading

My NBC Sports App on my Roku + streaming stick recently stopped working. It will play the opening commercial then gets stuck on the loading screen. If I continue to leave it on the screen commercials will pop up every few minutes, but no content will load. The app is working on my other devices with no issue. I have already tried removing the app and have tried reseting my Roku to factory settings. I have Verizon Fios and authenticate NBC Sports though Dish. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: NBC Sports App Not Loading

Thanks for the note here. 

The channel may be experiencing an issue with content delivery for the content you are trying to stream. A couple questions: 

- Does this occur on all content within the channel, or only one specific item? 
- Have you contacted NBC Sports support to report the issue you're seeing and request additional assistance? You can get in touch with NBC Sports support here: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

Let us know how it goes from there! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
bungi43
Level 7

I am having the same issue as ecualum08.

I have a TCL Roku TV, Hisense Roku TV, and two streaming Roku Devices (Ultra and Roku 3)...I get the commercials, then it sticks on the loading screen.

I also have an apple TV device and a fire TV box, and a fire stick, and it works just fine on those.  It also works on my PC.

Somewhere there is a disconnect between the app and Roku.  Seeing as how it works on all non roku devices in my household, it has to be an issue on Roku's end.  Can someone get to work on fixing this?  We all pay money for your devices and expect them to work.  It's been almost 2 weeks for me now.  

Thanks!
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing here. We will certainly help pass your feedback along to the channel provider. 

However, Roku does not develop this channel (app), and wouldn't be able to address a content playback issue that may be occurring within. Channel/service providers may use different systems to provide content across different device platforms, which can sometimes cause isolated issues. You will want to reach out to NBC Sports support to report the issue you're experiencing with their channel on the Roku platform, and request additional assistance. You can reach them here: https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/support 

Please keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
DougG
Level 8

I am having the exact same problem with all 5 of my Roku, including  TCL TV.

kitels
Level 7

Same issue too. Either is gets stuck after the commercial or will show 3-5 seconds of content then freeze. 

Very frustrating. I just switched from my apple TV, expecting better quality and I am struggling to watch my favorite content. 

0 Kudos
Rkeister
Level 7

Same issue. Sounds like Roku doesn't want to help. I'll need to make it a point to not buy Roku products moving forward. This app works with all my other devices, except Roku. Not interested in dealing with a company who won't acknowledge issues on their end.

@kitels wrote:

Same issue too. Either is gets stuck after the commercial or will show 3-5 seconds of content then freeze. 

Very frustrating. I just switched from my apple TV, expecting better quality and I am struggling to watch my favorite content. 

DougG
Level 8

This is what I sent to NBC sports support last week when they requested more information.   I have not heard anything from Roku support.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi here is the information you are requesting. 

Roku Version:  

1. Roku 5143X (TCL Roku TV) Software 9.1.0 build 4501-08
  2. Roku 4620X software 9.2.0 build 4806-29
  3. Roku 3100X software 9.1.0 build 5006-02
  4. Roku 4630X software 9.2.0 build 4750-29
  5. Roku 

NBC App Version:

1. App Version 5.0.38 (2a7c4e6)
  2. App Version 5.0.38
  3. App Version 5.0.38
  4. App Version 5.0.38
  5. App Version 5.0.38

Video trying to play:   (All testing is done with Pihole completely disabled and roku rebooted)

1. NBC Sports;  click on game, Ad loads,  then game never does.  Retry starts retrieving game and pauses about 1/3 of the way through then stops and nothing happens.   Same for NBC Gold items, starts retrieving, 1/3 through then kicks back to main nbcsports screen..  Extended highlights of premier leagues games play fine.   Replays retrieve 1/3 through then go back to main screen.   Live gold coverage loads 2 commercials then never switches over to actual coverage.
  2. NBC Sports;  click on game, and it starts retrieving game and pauses about 1/3 of the way through then stops and nothing happens.   Same for NBC Gold items.  Extended highlights of premier leagues games play fine.   Nascar awards show replay plays fine.   Live gold coverage loads 2 commercials then never switches over to actual coverage. 
  3. No logged in on this one.   Loading preview.   Loads ad, plays fine then goes to a loading screen then nothing.  
  4. NBC Sports;  loads live golf just fine.  Will not load a nbc gold soccer replay at all.  Stuck at 30% retrieving.  
  5. NBC Sports;  click on game, and it starts retrieving game and pauses about 1/3 of the way through then stops and nothing happens.   Same for NBC Gold items.  Extended highlights of premier leagues games play fine.  

NBC Sports or Gold:  This happens with both Gold and Normal video properties

Are Ads Playing:

1. No.  On Premier league games I am not getting through the loading process. 
  2. Sometimes.  On Premier league games I am not getting through the loading process.  On golf coverage I got 2 ads to load and then it stops loading
  3. Tested video did load the ad
  4. Ad did play for the live golf test.
  5. No

When did this start: I have noticed it all season (August 2019)

Carrier: Cox Communications

Steps taken to solve this:  I do have a pihole system for my network.   I have whitelisted all the roku devices, whitelisted the sites that the roku connects to, moved all the devices into the DMZ, disabled the Pihole completely, nothing works.  I have also disabled the pihole and then completely rebooted the roku devices to flush the cache and re-establish all network connections and still nothing works.    Connecting on my computer has always worked fine, I just have the problem with my Rokus.  I have rebooted the rokus, reinstalled the app several times, tried to force Roku OS upgrades.

Network setup:  Docsis 3.1 Cable modem to a ubiquiti edge router, pihole server (completed disabled) to main VLAN that houses all devices. 

I have not had this type of issue with any other major app on the roku.    

This appears to be a real issue with the Premier League soccer streams.

Hi Doug,

We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble watching Premier League matches on your Roku devices. Could you please let us know the following information so that we can share the information with our tech team.

What is your Roku version: (You can locate the model of your Roku device from the settings menu of your Roku device.

Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
Scroll up or down and select Settings.
Select System, followed by About.
NBC app version:

What asset/video were you trying to play:

Was it Live or a Replay:

Are you watching Sports or Gold? 

Are the ads playing? If so does this happen before or after an ad plays?

When did this start to happen?

Do Replays work

Who is your carrier?

What steps have you taken to troubleshoot already?

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Thanks,

Adrian

NBC Sports Support

Perm
Level 7

I’m having the same problem. With all due respect, Tanner, this appears to be A Roku specific problem — the app works on all devices I’ve tested it on (Sony, Samsung, etc). Merely “passing this along to the channel provider” isn’t going to do anything. Can you please ask your engineers to look into this? My guess is there’s an issue with an API somewhere. I specifically bought my roku tv for my bedroom so I could watch basketball games as I crashed and opted for a cheaper tv as a result. It’s maddening that this isn’t working — I should have just opted for a higher quality tv. 

Please keep us updated. Thx-

Perm
Level 7

Every bit of detail you asked for is in the adjoining messages in this string. 

Can you please get with the Roku engineers and take a real stab at fixing this?