Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

NBC SPORTS APP LIMITED REPLAYS

Jump to solution

I wanted to give a heads up to anyone using or considering a subscription purchase of the NBC sports Gold Packages.

Two days ago NBC Sports did a major "upgrade???" to their ROKU app. As a result of this change, viewers using set-top devices such as the ROKU Ultra will no longer have access to any replays  or highlights that are more than 30 days old. As most of us long time NBC Sports Gold subscribers know, we used to have access to ALL replays and highlights from the entire subscription period. For example I subscribe to the NBC Sports Gold Figure Skating Pass. Before the app was "upgraded", I had 520 figure skating replays available to watch at any time during my entire subscription period. Which is still correct as of today, per the terms of the sports pass subscription. Since the new version of the app was installed I now have only 8 replays and 1 highlight from the most recent event. I contacted NBC Support via email - this is a copy of their emailed reply to me:

Hi,
Thanks for reaching out to us. 
There are currently limited replays available on the Roku.
All Replays are available on a web browser. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 
Thanks,
Ashley
NBC Sports Support

I sent additional emails to NBC support about the fact that their website clearly stated at the time of my subscription purchase that ALL replays would be available on the ROKU media players. They simply don't care and are not concerned about breaking the contractual agreement by limiting the content ROKU subscribers have a right to view. They probably know there is really nothing a subscriber can do about it.
I use a ROKU Ultra player connected to my TV via an HDMI cable, so I do not know whether or not: smart TV's with the ROKU app installed in the TV, get ALL of the replays and highlights for their entire subscription period as they should, or are they now also are limited to replays from the most recent replays occurring within the most recent 30 day period. . . .
Hope this information is helpful.
Dennis

[post moved to appropriate board]
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: NBC SPORTS APP LIMITED REPLAYS

Jump to solution

I can confirm that the summer-fall races are unavailable for the cycling pass on Roku. They are however available on the Xfinity Flex streaming device that is free it you have Xfinity/Comcast internet. I got one just for the purpose of watching NBC Sports Gold. It works but the interface is much less user-friendly than Roku.

NBC is owned by Comcast who are currently pushing their own streaming platform (Flex) and the NBC Peacock service pretty strongly. Seems like a good/working ROKU NBC app is not being prioritized... 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I didn't go all the way back, just that stuff was available that previously wasn't.

They other day I tested and could cast a windows 10 desktop as long as it and the Roku were on the same wifi net. (Both support Miracast). Should work with Windows 8 as well. My phone also supports Miracast, but most don't since Google dropped support.

I forgot to check audio on Windows, but I've had audio issues with phones bin the past.

If I have to go to the computer I'd just as soon use the HDMI cable instead (setup for lossless audio that Roku doesn't support)

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hello to everyone interested in this issue.

Thanks to Nugatti I have a working solution to this problem: I am a Comcast - Internet only - customer, so I qualified to receive Comcast's free FLEX video streaming device. I ordered the device from Comcast and it arrived - for free - in just 4 days. The FLEX device connects to your home network and functions similar to a ROKU - ULTRA device. I hooked up the FLEX device using it's optional Ethernet terminal, and I connected the supplied HDMI cable to my TV non-smart HD TV. Setup was easy and straight forward. However, as Nugatti pointed out, the FLEX device / remote is not user friendly and it does not provide an option to put your favorite apps - like NBC Sports Gold, right at the top of your home screen. This is the simplest way to locate the NBC GOLD app that I found:

From your home screen, press the FLEX-supplied remote's down arrow 10 times to ""Popular Apps". Then select "Show All". Continue pressing the down arrow to "Sports" apps. The NBC Sports Gold app. is the first app listed in the sports apps. Select the app., you can then do a 1-time sign-in to the app using the on-screen provided method that is similar to logging in for a ROKU device.

I can confirm that ALL full coverage REPLAYS that are available for viewing on the NBC GOLD home webpage are also available when accessing your subscription passes on the FLEX device. I have 3 NBC Gold passes: Cycling, Snow, and Figure Skating. ALL event replays are accessible for the current pass subscription season, and they stream perfectly for me. If I wanted to change my TV's input and watch - for example, the local OTA TV channels that I get using my regular home antenna; I found that I could leave my Flex device "parked" in the Gold Pass app's menu, and return to it a couple of hours later, {Note: The FLEX device is NEVER "off". It cannot shut itself down like a ROKU device does, when you change to a different TV input.} Unfortunately, FLEX won't "hold your place" in the app long-term. If  FLEX is not accessed again within a few hours, it will automatically go back to the FLEX home screen. So then you'd do the 10 down-arrow button pushes again and your back at your NBC Sports Gold app.

Currently I was able to get this FLEX device for free, so it was a great option to solve the ROKU limited-replay issue. Nugatti is also correct, that the NBC Gold Pass channel is owned by Comcast - It seems obvious now that the limited replays on ROKU are intentional, as COMCAST wants to promote it's own FLEX streaming device. So it's unlikely in my opinion that ALL event replays will ever return to ROKU devices.

While this solution does not solve this issue for everyone who subscribes to NBC Sports Gold Passes, it does solve the problem for COMCAST - Internet only - customers, like myself.

Again, my sincerest thanks for all of the replies that I received. -And a very special THANK YOU ! to Nugatti for solving this problem for me, and for the people who can also use this Comcast FLEX device viewing option.

DN24

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Skating only showing 2 replays from Gold today (and one non gold reply).

Website and android app show all replays correctly. Can't cast from Android app.

So for now have to use PC to watch anything, which sucks since PC is in another room. It was setup for viewing movies with lossless audio Roku doesn't support DTS well

The new app interface sucks too.

Anyway to get the old version app back?

Guess It's time to ditch Roku and get a Shield TV. Solve the audio for at issues and this new mess from NBC.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with my cycling pass. Wanted to rewatch Tour de France 2019 and it’s gone. Had to hook up an old Apple TV so that I could mirror it from my iPhone. It’s infuriating. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue with me. Bought Sports Gold cycling pass and all our race replays disappeared, even races that just concluded recently. False advertising, ROKU! 

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@KolbDGO Not Roku. This is all NB

Roku provides a platform for app developers. NBC wrote the app and their recent changes broke replays. 

Just like phone apps, the platform provider (Google, Apple, Roku) doesn't write most of the apps you run. And app updates often break things. When that happens it's not the platform providers fault.

The sad thing here is no response from NBC acknowledging the issue or offering a timeline for a fix. Or even re-releasing the old version that worked. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've actually called and emailed NBC sports multiple times regarding this issue (833 888-NBCS). They finally admitted that there is an issue with their app and ROKU replays.  They have acknowledged the problem but I do not have confidence that they will fix this issue anytime soon. With the Cycling pass and the TDF coming this summer, this is obviously an issue.  This is insane, no other Roku app has this issue!!! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
I emailed NBC about this in the beginning of January and got the following reply (20 days later!):

Thank you for contacting us. We apologize for any inconvenience. Currently, not all replays are available on Roku. We are working on adding more replays to the new app. All replays can be accessed on the website. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Thanks,
Katelynn
NBC Sports Support

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@rosey3000 wrote:

This is insane, no other Roku app has this issue!!! 

The worst part is they had a working app and refuse to just revert to the old version until they fix the new version. Or even offer both for a while.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Seems to work on the web but not on my Fire TV or Roku for replays. Should have kept my renewal money especcially has racing will be limited in this period for 2020...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

They appear to have fixed the app, at least figure skating.

Not sure when, but I checked it over the weekend and replays were available going back months, like it used to be.

Would have been nice if they had sent a notice of the fix, at least to those who asked support about it.

0 Kudos