Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJN
Level 8

Re: NBC SPORTS APP LIMITED REPLAYS

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. NBC has only restored video replays going back to December 1st. 2019. The current Figure Skating Pass season began in August, 2019 There are almost 500 videos that are still missing, including the U.S. Regionals and The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating. The latter is the most popular event series in the U.S. The Cycling Pass now has replays available begining with December 22, 2019. That pass season actually began on June 1, 2019. It is missing The Tour de France, The Vuelta Espana, and all of the normally included spring classics, and autumn classics. These still-missing cycling races are by far, the races that are the most popular with U.S. cycling fans and they are the reason why cycling fans bought that pass. The Snow Pass is showing replays only from the last four months of the season. It is missing all of the World Cup coverage for all covered sports from September through December of 2019. All replays for the full season of each pass is still viewable - but only on the website. If you look there you will see all of the replays that are still missing for each season. The terms of these season-pass purchase agreements, clearly stated that ALL replays would be available on all devices for the entire season of the purchased pass. That is still not the case. This appears to me to be a marketing strategy. Dropping the available content (replays) before the pass-season ends, means there is less content to view on the purchased pass, thereby encouraging NBC pass customers to buy additional passes. Keep in mind that this replay accessability change was intentional. Prior to my original posting of this problem, ALL replays were available for all purchased passes - for the entire season - and this is what we agreed to and paid for. Again, thank you for your reply.  Dennis

DJN
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am updating this problem with the following information: NBC Sports Gold is now making more replays available on ROKU for some passes. Replays for passes are now available for events dated between December 1, 2019 to current (April 2020) events. The pass-season events that aired prior to December 1st, 2019 are still missing on my ROKU ULTRA for: Cycling Pass, Snow Pass and Figure Skating Pass that I subscribe to. Most of the pass-subscription-season is probably still missing for all passes. In order to view ALL of the season replays for a pass-subscription that you bought, you must still view it directly from their website:

However, if you have a device capable of HD video Chrome Cast streaming to your smart TV, NBC customer service claims you can now stream ALL replays for your subscribed passes from their website onto your smart-TV. Below are two email communications I received on April 2nd. 2020 advising me of this new capability. As I do not have a "Chrome-Cast" capable device I, cannot take advantage of this option, or tell you whether or not it actually works:

Thank you for contacting our NBC Sports Support Team.
 We apologize for any inconvenience. 
We are aware of the limited replays available on connected devices and are working towards a solution. All replays are still available to access on mobile and web, and live content is still featured on connected devices. 

We will be more than happy to help you troubleshoot workarounds to cast replays from your phone, tablet or desktop to your TV. ? 
Thank you for being a valued NBC Sports Gold customer.
Thanks,
Youssef
NBC Sports Support
Thank you for contacting NBC Sports. We apologize for any inconvenience.You will need to have a Chrome Cast in order to
do so. 
If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us again at any time. 
Thanks,
Youssef
NBC Sports Support

If anyone who has the ability to Chrome Cast videos to a TV, was able to get this option to work for these replays, please let ROKU readers of this posting know which device you used and a little info about the steps you took to get it to work correctly, and lastly . . . how good do the videos look when you Chrome Cast them onto your TV?
Thank you All, for your comments and your replies to this ongoing issue.
DJN

Nugatti
Level 8

Jump to solution

I can confirm that the summer-fall races are unavailable for the cycling pass on Roku. They are however available on the Xfinity Flex streaming device that is free it you have Xfinity/Comcast internet. I got one just for the purpose of watching NBC Sports Gold. It works but the interface is much less user-friendly than Roku.

NBC is owned by Comcast who are currently pushing their own streaming platform (Flex) and the NBC Peacock service pretty strongly. Seems like a good/working ROKU NBC app is not being prioritized... 

View solution in original post

ST_Dog
Level 9

Jump to solution

I didn't go all the way back, just that stuff was available that previously wasn't.

They other day I tested and could cast a windows 10 desktop as long as it and the Roku were on the same wifi net. (Both support Miracast). Should work with Windows 8 as well. My phone also supports Miracast, but most don't since Google dropped support.

I forgot to check audio on Windows, but I've had audio issues with phones bin the past.

If I have to go to the computer I'd just as soon use the HDMI cable instead (setup for lossless audio that Roku doesn't support)

DJN
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hello to everyone interested in this issue.

Thanks to Nugatti I have a working solution to this problem: I am a Comcast - Internet only - customer, so I qualified to receive Comcast's free FLEX video streaming device. I ordered the device from Comcast and it arrived - for free - in just 4 days. The FLEX device connects to your home network and functions similar to a ROKU - ULTRA device. I hooked up the FLEX device using it's optional Ethernet terminal, and I connected the supplied HDMI cable to my TV non-smart HD TV. Setup was easy and straight forward. However, as Nugatti pointed out, the FLEX device / remote is not user friendly and it does not provide an option to put your favorite apps - like NBC Sports Gold, right at the top of your home screen. This is the simplest way to locate the NBC GOLD app that I found:

From your home screen, press the FLEX-supplied remote's down arrow 10 times to ""Popular Apps". Then select "Show All". Continue pressing the down arrow to "Sports" apps. The NBC Sports Gold app. is the first app listed in the sports apps. Select the app., you can then do a 1-time sign-in to the app using the on-screen provided method that is similar to logging in for a ROKU device.

I can confirm that ALL full coverage REPLAYS that are available for viewing on the NBC GOLD home webpage are also available when accessing your subscription passes on the FLEX device. I have 3 NBC Gold passes: Cycling, Snow, and Figure Skating. ALL event replays are accessible for the current pass subscription season, and they stream perfectly for me. If I wanted to change my TV's input and watch - for example, the local OTA TV channels that I get using my regular home antenna; I found that I could leave my Flex device "parked" in the Gold Pass app's menu, and return to it a couple of hours later, {Note: The FLEX device is NEVER "off". It cannot shut itself down like a ROKU device does, when you change to a different TV input.} Unfortunately, FLEX won't "hold your place" in the app long-term. If  FLEX is not accessed again within a few hours, it will automatically go back to the FLEX home screen. So then you'd do the 10 down-arrow button pushes again and your back at your NBC Sports Gold app.

Currently I was able to get this FLEX device for free, so it was a great option to solve the ROKU limited-replay issue. Nugatti is also correct, that the NBC Gold Pass channel is owned by Comcast - It seems obvious now that the limited replays on ROKU are intentional, as COMCAST wants to promote it's own FLEX streaming device. So it's unlikely in my opinion that ALL event replays will ever return to ROKU devices.

While this solution does not solve this issue for everyone who subscribes to NBC Sports Gold Passes, it does solve the problem for COMCAST - Internet only - customers, like myself.

Again, my sincerest thanks for all of the replies that I received. -And a very special THANK YOU ! to Nugatti for solving this problem for me, and for the people who can also use this Comcast FLEX device viewing option.

DN24

0 Kudos
ST_Dog
Level 9

Jump to solution

@DJN wrote:

I have a working solution to this problem:

I wouldn't call that a solution anymore than using a computer with HDMI out or any other alternative device.

Just another workaround. Several Xfinity/Comcast devices use a different app and it works.
Other devices, like Android TV, use different apps and work.

The issue is the Roku app not working like it should/did. They rewrote the app and broke it. They never should have released it, let alone forced it on all users. They did practically no testing of the new app and haven't been in any hurry to fix it.

0 Kudos
Nugatti
Level 8

Jump to solution

That’s awesome that it solved your problem, and thanks for the “thank you”!

I also want to add that I wouldn’t be surprised if NBC is planning to roll the NBC sports app into the NBC Peacock app, which is now live on Flex and coming on other platforms soon. That would at least explain why they are so uninterested in supporting the NBC sports app. If that will be good or bad (or cheaper/more expensive) is hard to say. Streaming is getting frustratingly complex....

0 Kudos
almonpoole
Level 7

Jump to solution

Nbc deserves no credit until the firetv and the roku apps are fixed. This is a terrible blunder or NBC did this on purpose for a marketing strategy. Wish I had never renewed my subscription. It’s wasted money...

0 Kudos