Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikemarsh
Level 7

NBC News App reboots Roku when navigating to the evening news

This started about a week ago.  Everytime I watch NBC News, using the Navigation key (up/down/left/right) to reach the shows part of their menu, the Roku freezes and resets when I get to the NBC Evening News Selection.   

It looks like an unstable update.  

0 Kudos
24 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: NBC News App reboots Roku when navigating to the evening news

@mikemarsh 

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

In addition, how are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is the device plugged into a wall outlet with the provided cable and adapter? We would recommend the latter.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
csmithrt
Level 7

I, too, am experiencing reboots using the NBC News app (version 3.0, build 10) while running on a Roku 3 (Model 4200X, software 9.4.0, build 4188-04).

I have uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled the app with same result.

In my case, sometimes NBC News videos will play, then the screen whites out with audio and subtitles still playing for few seconds, then my Roku reboots.

I have also seen many reboots while simply navigating through the app.

THIS IS NOT FIXABLE BY REINSTALLING THE APP; PLEASE TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY AND INFORM NBC THAT THEIR APP HAS A SERIOUS BUG.

No other channels are behaving badly.

messinger
Level 9

@csmithrt wrote:

THIS IS NOT FIXABLE BY REINSTALLING THE APP; PLEASE TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY AND INFORM NBC THAT THEIR APP HAS A SERIOUS BUG.

No other channels are behaving badly.

I echo this report. Today the NBC News channel is pretty much unusable. No amount of restarting Roku or reinstalling the channel brings about an improvement.

Roku 3 model 4200X, software version 9.4.0 build 4190-04.

Tags (1)
kamakiriad
Level 8

Same here -- exactly as csmithrt and messinger described.  And I also re-installed the app.

Roku model: 4230X - Roku 3
Software: 9.4.0 - build 4190-04

makaiguy
Level 21

I installed NBC NEWS today, just to check this on my system.  It seems to be operating normally with none if the problems reported in this thread.  The only abnormality I've found is that the closed captioning is running 1-2 seconds behind the audio.

Roku Stick+ (3810), Roku 9.4.0 build 4190-50, NBC News 3.0 build 10

Roku Stick (3600), Roku 9.4.0 build 4190-24, NBC News 3.0 build 10

Nobody above has mentioned their NBC News version.  Do the people with the problems have the same version?  To find out, highlight NBC News in the channel grid and press the * key on your remote.

You might try reinstalling the channel:

Remove channel.

Restart Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart.

Reinstall channel.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
kamakiriad
Level 8

makaiguy,

What you appear to have missed is that everyone in this thread who's listed their equipment is using a Roku 3 - 4200X series (in contrast to you, who's using a Roku Stick). You also missed that we've all reinstalled the NBC News app.  And just in case you're wondering, the NBC News version I show is 3.0 b 10 -- same as yours.

Anyway, I think it's a pretty good bet that something has changed in the app that now makes it crash on Roku 3 boxes, and probably older versions.

messinger
Level 9

I have now reinstalled the app (several times), installed a micro SD card, and done a factory reset on my Roku 3.

And still the NBC News channel misbehaves.

That's pretty much all the possible resolutions. Are there any other suggestions? 

YouTube isn't the best replacement, but since I'm already paying for premium YouTube, at least there aren't any commercials there. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
kamakiriad
Level 8

As it happens, after my last reply, I had a few days where the NBC News app worked okay.  Not great; it just didn't freeze and reboot all the time.  But as of today, it's back to all the problems described in this thread.  But the fact that it recovered for a few days made me rethink my theory that it's the app that's misbehaving.  Over the years, I've seen a lot of problems with NBC News on Roku, and I think a lot of them have to do with their servers, which may be inadequate or poorly set up. Can't say for sure, but I CAN say that NBC should be ashamed of their frequent glitches, as well as their generally clunky app design. The latest major re-design was a huge step backwards, in my opinion.  But I digress...

kamakiriad
Level 8

As it happens, after my last reply, I had a few days where the NBC News app worked okay.  Not great; it just didn't freeze and reboot all the time.  But as of today, it's back to all the problems described in this thread.  But the fact that it recovered for a few days made me rethink my theory that it's the app misbehaving.  Over the years, I've seen a lot of problems with NBC News on Roku, and I think a lot of them have to do with their servers, which may be inadequate or poorly set up. Can't say for sure, but I CAN say that NBC should be ashamed of their frequent glitches, as well as their generally clunky app design. The latest major re-design was a huge step backwards, in my opinion.  But I digress...