Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DebbieKat
Level 8

NBC Election Coverage - Channel keeps crashing

I've been watching the NBC News channel and it keeps crashing to a black screen. I have to hit the Home button and reselect the Roku channel and then reselect this channel in order to continue watching. It's happened about 10 times today already.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: NBC Election Coverage - Channel keeps crashing

@DebbieKat 

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
NoMoreRku
Level 7

I have been having the same problem with NBC news, which I have had on my Roku 2 for years.  I have tried deleting and re-adding the channel, but that does not make a difference.  Other channels seem fine.

Unfortunately Roku does not seem interested in it's customer's technical problems, so perhaps our next streaming devices should be another choice.

0 Kudos
messinger
Level 9

@RokuDanny-R, like @DebbieKat I experienced frequent problems with the NBC News app, running the Roku 3 (4200 series). I several times uninstalled and reinstalled the app (rebooting the Roku device between uninstall and reinstall). I have reset the entire device. I have purchased from Roku and installed an SD card for the device. None of these solutions cleared up the problems. The NBC News app causes the device to frequently crash and reboot. Sometimes the video screen displays all-gray, while the audio continues.

My Roku 3 is running a wired connection, although I've tested using wireless with the same result. The device reports my connections are good in both cases.

I experienced this behavior with at least the most recent two builds of the NBC News app.

I have recently purchased the Roku Ultra (4800 series) and within a few hours of operation, the NBC News app crashed, mid-stream, returning me to the Roku Home screen. So far I've not experienced a crash of the entire device.

I have not experienced any of these problems using the version of the NBC News app running on an old Amazon FireTV stick. It's hard not to conclude there's a problem with Roku's version of the NBC News app.

It would be great to know to whom these problems should be reported; the actual developers responsible for Roku's build of the NBC News application.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @messinger,

Thanks for letting us know that you've exhausted troubleshooting and are still running into a hiccup. We apologize for the inconvenience.

With the exception of a handful of channels, and The Roku Channel, channel partners design and submit their own channel framework. If a particular channel continues to be problematic but all other channels are working, then we may need to send a note to the channel partner.Please collect the following information and we'll send them a note.

First, check for the latest update to make sure you have the latest channel version and OS version for your player.

If still no luck, please send me a private message here so that we can look into this. We'll need some information from you.

Please wait for the channel crash on your Roku device. Once the device exits back to the Home Screen, please get an Issue ID from your device. This places a bookmark for our engineering team to investigate.

To generate an Issue ID, on your Roku remote, press Home button 5x, then Back button (next to Home) 5x in quick succession. 

Please send us a private message:

• Link to this thread.
  • Include a brief description of what you're seeing and the channel and content title in use.
  • Information from the Issue report tracker dialog box (or the photo of the box below)
    • Issue ID
    • Software version and build
    • Serial number
  • Also include the channel name and version. You can get this by pressing * on your Roku remote on the channel tile from the Home Screen.

We'll file a report with our channels team for review.

0 Kudos