Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glenda178
Level 7

NBC Channel Issues

About 5 days ago NBC stopped working. When I click on play now it just goes back to the Roku home page. Worked great before that. Spent over and hour with roku yesterday trying to trouble shoot and fix yesterday and with my tv provider today. Issue seems to be NBC. I'm not sure but I'm aggravated.
0 Kudos
38 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: NBC Channel Issues

"glenda178" wrote:
About 5 days ago NBC stopped working. When I click on play now it just goes back to the Roku home page. Worked great before that. Spent over and hour with roku yesterday trying to trouble shoot and fix yesterday and with my tv provider today. Issue seems to be NBC. I'm not sure but I'm aggravated.

Have you removed the app, rebooted the Roku, and then reinstalled the app? You'll need to reauthenticate against your cable provider again, of course.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
glenda178
Level 7

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, unplugged, plugged back in, found all sorts of "secret" screens thanks to the Roku people, had my service provider override my login etc, etc, etc. It's ridiculous.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"glenda178" wrote:
I have uninstalled, reinstalled, unplugged, plugged back in, found all sorts of "secret" screens thanks to the Roku people, had my service provider override my login etc, etc, etc. It's ridiculous.

The order of things is important. I was specifically asking if you performed these steps in this order:

1. Removed the app

2. Rebooted the Roku

3. Reinstalled the app

You mentioned those steps, but not in that order. So, I'm asking again, did you that that, in that order? Because doing it any other order isn't a good removal/reinstallation.

Now, it might not resolve anything, but it is a proper troubleshooting step to be performed.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
jrmcc999
Level 7

I did a hard reset plus reauthentication, and the app behaved the same. I would think a hard reset is the very best approach, but it didn't work. I'll try the uninstall/reboot/reinstall. The app works fine on the Amazon Fire TV stick, but at some point it stopped working on Roku.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

A factory reset should always be the last resort, and no it is not always "better" (let alone "'very' best") than uninstalling and reinstalling.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
jrmcc999
Level 7

Sure, but it definitely doesn't hurt anything. All it did was waste my time. I would say a clean install of all apps, which is what a factory reset initiates, is usually better than uninstall/install. Cache files, logs, and other junk should be wiped away. I'm not blaming Roku for NBC's bad app either.
0 Kudos

I'm having the same issue as the OP. I have removed the app, rebooted and reinstalled to no avail. I have multiple Roku 3's as well as a few sticks and it behaves the same on all. I assume this is not an issue with all the Roku's but possibly an app issue?
0 Kudos
jrmcc999
Level 7

I tried the uninstall/reinstall last night and . . . . . (drum roll) . . . didn't work! I'm not surprised. I'll bet it would behave the same with a new one off the shelf. It has to be an app problem. NBC coded something incompatible with the Roku Operating System, or Roku's periodic system updates broke something in the app. This kind of thing happens with Microsoft server OS's sometimes where I work. Maybe they'll fix it eventually.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"jrmcc999" wrote:
I tried the uninstall/reinstall last night and . . . . . (drum roll) . . . didn't work! I'm not surprised. I'll bet it would behave the same with a new one off the shelf. It has to be an app problem. NBC coded something incompatible with the Roku Operating System, or Roku's periodic system updates broke something in the app. This kind of thing happens with Microsoft server OS's sometimes where I work. Maybe they'll fix it eventually.

Except... it works for me.

So, let's see if we're comparing apples to apples. What version and build of the Roku software are you using? And what is the version and build of the NBC app?

I'll compare with mine tonight.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos