Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PurrSuede
Level 7

Re: NBC Channel Issues

"Basil" wrote:

So, who did you authenticate against?

For the purpose of testing, I logged out of my Comcast sign-in and then authenticated against a family member's Dish login. Still works. So, that Comcast conspiracy theory of yours crashes and burns.

Now, I'll leave it at that, as you've said you don't want help, but simply came here to bitch, moan, and complain. Knock yourself out.

If anyone experiences the issue wants to actually try to resolve it, I'll help if I can. Others here will, too.

A) I don't need to tell you who I used to authenticate and there is content available on the NBC Channel that is not supposed to require authentication as well.
B) Actually, no my theory does not crash and burn, because it's still the hideous Corporate Comcast, Obviously it is an issue with NBC, not with the Roku, and who owns NBC, hmmmm??
C) No, I don't want YOUR help.. Roku support was plenty helpful.
D) I've tried multiple things to resolve it, all with Roku Support (again not with Mr. Basil Support), so again, no thank you, I don't wish your personal help.
E) As for why I came here, I indicated that. And yes, it's a complaint. It's not working and I worked with ROKU SUPPORT (not Mr. Basil Support) repeatedly to try and get it fixed.
F) I've shared that information with others that they too can realize that it is NOT just them.
G) It's obvious that this issue is bigger than just a flick of a switch, or do this or do that. I didn't come here for a solution or even YOUR solution, I came here because it was obvious other people were having this issue and performing ALL the tasks that Support recommended (whether Roku Support or Basil Support) did not eliminate the issue.
H) Maybe it will save them from trying various solutions that do not solve the issue, such as removing, rebooting, readding, finding secret screens, toggling settings, etc only to find out they have wasted their time and it is STILL not working.
I) As I said, support gave up and said to contact NBC. I did so and still have not received a reply. Back to the Comcast too big to fail theory, hmmm

Lastly for those who do care about a workaround, I was able to go to NBC.com through the internet just fine, authenticate as needed, and watch shows there. Either directly on my monitor or by "streaming" using an HDMI Cable from my laptop to my HDTV. It's not Roku, but at least I could view the NBC shows that refused to stream through the Roku. Again, not a solution but a viable workaround.

Hope this information is helpful to others. Thanks.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

A. The poster said he used someone other than Comcast, and it worked fine. But you seemed to miss that part, even though you quoted it.

B. Using a different device and telling people to do so is not all that helpful.

Basil doesn't need help defending himself, but your post was downright rude. This forum is to try help people, not a bitchfest.

Now, having said that, just for S&G I added the app* myself to check it out. I don't have cable, so I could not authenticate. I tried a "free" program, and it crashed back to Home. My internet provider is Charter.

*on my 3050 wifi, did not try on my 4210 wired
Update---tried both at exact same time on different TVs at once (sometimes one remote controlling two devices IS a good idea) and both crashed to Home at same time. 3050 was in SD mode, 4210 1080p mode.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
... just for S&G I added the app* myself to check it out. I don't have cable, so I could not authenticate. I tried a "free" program, and it crashed back to Home. My internet provider is Charter.

Update---tried both at exact same time on different TVs at once (sometimes one remote controlling two devices IS a good idea) and both crashed to Home at same time. 3050 was in SD mode, 4210 1080p mode.

I logged out of my provider on NBC on my Roku Stick (3600) and launched a "free" program (Spartan Ultimate Team Challenge s1e1). Played without issue.

Roku Stick model 3600
7.1.0 build 4096
NBC 1.0 build 0
Wireless connection, Comcast Internet (Arris modem, Apple router)

Then I launched my Roku 3 and logged out of my provider. Launched same program (Spartan Ultimate Team Challenge s1e1). Played without issue.

Roku 3 model 4200
NBC 1.0 build 0
Wired connection, Comcast Internet (Arris modem, Apple router, Netgear switch)

I'm at a Comcast Internet location today (Savannah area). Will be at a non-Comcast Internet location (Columbus area) tonight and will check on Roku there.

By the way, I did check NBC at the non-Comcast location earlier this week and it played without issue. I was using the Comcast login. Based on what you've said, I'll do additional scenarios, such as no login, that try to cover all the possibilities.

Something is causing those issues with some users (you included) while others (me) don't have the issue. I don't have access to Charter, so I can't do a full duplication of the setup you described. I may be able to check on a network that uses AT&T DSL. I'm not sure what other tests to perform other than those I've listed for tonight. If you have any more thoughts or suggestions, let me know.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

to add to this discussion I tried a free episode without authentication on Century link across my devices ( as shown in my signature ) all played with out issue though the HD and LT were a bit slow to load
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

"Basil" wrote:
"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
... just for S&G I added the app* myself to check it out. I don't have cable, so I could not authenticate. I tried a "free" program, and it crashed back to Home. My internet provider is Charter.

I logged out of my provider on NBC on my Roku Stick (3600) and launched a "free" program (Spartan Ultimate Team Challenge s1e1). Played without issue.
If you have any more thoughts or suggestions, let me know.

Yeah, that's the one I tried. No suggestions, just adding to the data pool. To be honest, I'm pretty apathetic about the whole issue since Hulu gives me all I want from NBC.

As a sidenote, and what I hope was coincidence, my 3050 slowed to a crawl after this and I had to reboot to get proper performance again. Did not try my 4210 (as I had to unplug it anyway to use my 3050 and the same remote control).
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
dands1
Level 7

Using model 3500x Roku stick
ver 7.2.0 build 4100-09
auth with TWC
have gone through all the steps several days/times but still can't view programming. Like others, get sent back to roku home page.
0 Kudos
jrmcc999
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
"jrmcc999" wrote:
I tried the uninstall/reinstall last night and . . . . . (drum roll) . . . didn't work! I'm not surprised. I'll bet it would behave the same with a new one off the shelf. It has to be an app problem. NBC coded something incompatible with the Roku Operating System, or Roku's periodic system updates broke something in the app. This kind of thing happens with Microsoft server OS's sometimes where I work. Maybe they'll fix it eventually.

Except... it works for me.

So, let's see if we're comparing apples to apples. What version and build of the Roku software are you using? And what is the version and build of the NBC app?

I'll compare with mine tonight.

Roku 3 Version 7.2.0 Build 4100-04
My NBC App shows as version 1.0 Build 0 after installation. However, when I'm about to install it, it claims to be version 1.1.
0 Kudos
jrmcc999
Level 7

Just mentioning - NBC works great on the Amazon Fire Stick, which is $39.99 these days. I like to have both this device and the Roku to cover the apps that are unsatisfactory on one platform but OK on the other. Plus, you can run Kodi on the Fire Stick but not on Roku. Does anybody else notice that USTV Now is horrible on Roku these days?
0 Kudos
glenda178
Level 7

Look people. As for PurrSuede just coming on here to complain, I doubt that is the case. Like myself, and many others on here "we are very frustrated"! Especially when we have spoke at length not just to the Roku people about this but our TV provider, who both (as one person said gave up) said it was NBC's issue. What added to the frustration was Basil constantly telling us to do the same thing over and over and ask what version or Roku we have while telling us NBC works just fine for him. This makes a body start to feel like Basil thinks we are morons or toddlers you have to repeat things to over and over. You getting the picture? It's nothing against Basil. But just because something works for some, does not mean it will work for others. Basil's last post was the BEST one so far. After going through the same steps with us post after post, that the Roku and providers do. I originally started this thread as a desperate attempt to see if others were having the same issue after talking to the Roku and TV provider people and if they knew something new and different to do. Now.......all this said.........AS OF YESTERDAY NBC IS WORKING Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
thetick
Level 8

"glenda178" wrote:
Look people. As for PurrSuede just coming on here to complain, I doubt that is the case. Like myself, and many others on here "we are very frustrated"!

Sounds to me Roku might not be an acceptable option. I used to advocate Roku but now most Roku channels are so buggy , reauthorization every two weeks etc.... I just only use Roku for my son's Pokeman channel. Never had a problem with the Roku Pokeman channel. All other media I play with PC/Chromecast combo that plays anything never needed reauthorization as the PC automatically reauthorizes as needed due to logging into MyVerizon to pay my bill, view service options etc..

Sorry to the regulars here but the Roku channels are so bad, this forum is only going to be more of a bitchfest moving forward. I've given up on Roku.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos