Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan-Max
Level 7

NBA App Crashes During Game Playback

When watching a League Pass game with the NBA app on my 2020 Roku Premiere, after about 10-15 minutes the playback stops and I get a popup message that says:

"Video Playback Error, An error occurred while trying to play this video, please try again. If this problem persists, please restart your Roku player by unplugging it from the power source and plugging it in again." Followed by a 'Close' button.

Selecting the 'Close' button causes playback to start over again from the beginning of the game, not from where it left off when it crashed.

Unplugging the Roku and plugging in again does not fix the problem.

Anybody else have this problem?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9\
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: NBA App Crashes During Game Playback

Hello @Alan-Max

Thanks for posting here in the Community!

Removing the channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.

• Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.

2. Restart your Roku device: If it is inconvenient to reach the power cord to unplug your Roku device, you can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.

3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

• Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

Let us know if that works for you.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Alan-Max
Level 7

Thank you for your reply. Removing and reinstalling the NBA app did not fix the problem.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Alan-Max wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Removing and reinstalling the NBA app did not fix the problem.

Confirm that you rebooted after the removal and before the reinstallation. People will often skip this step, or not do it in the right order. This step is important.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Alan-Max
Level 7

Yes, as directed I rebooted my Roku Premiere after removing and reinstalling the NBA app and the problem persists. Also, my 2018 TCL Roku TV has the same problem with the NBA app.

Does Roku provide live support for their products? They used to have this.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Alan-Max wrote:

Yes, as directed I rebooted my Roku Premiere after removing and reinstalling the NBA app and the problem persists. Also, my 2018 TCL Roku TV has the same problem with the NBA app.

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm.

@Alan-Max wrote:

Does Roku provide live support for their products? They used to have this.

No.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Alan-Max
Level 7

DBDukes:

So that's it? No further suggestions for fixing this issue?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Alan-Max wrote:

DBDukes:

So that's it? No further suggestions for fixing this issue?

The suggestion about reinstalling the app was:

@DBDukes wrote:

Confirm that you rebooted after the removal and before the reinstallation. People will often skip this step, or not do it in the right order. This step is important.

That is:

1. Remove
  2. Reboot
  3. Reinstall

In the order listed. But you replied

@Alan-Max wrote:

... I rebooted my Roku Premiere after removing and reinstalling the NBA app and the problem persists. ...

Your statement says you rebooted after removing and reinstalling. That is 1, 3, 2 order, which is incorrect. Troubleshooting requires specific and explicit instructions and confirmation of the instructions. I really do expect you did the order correctly, but what you're telling us is the wrong order.

As for what else, assuming the correct order, I'm out of ideas. It could be an issue with the app, for which you'd need to contact the app developer, the National Basketball Association. Unless @RokuKariza-D or @RokuDanny-R have other ideas.

DBDukes

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Alan-Max
Level 7

Yes. I removed the app, rebooted the Roku, and than reinstalled the app. The problem is not fixed.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused, @Alan-Max

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. Since you've mentioned that the same problem happens on your 2018 TCL Roku TV, that's an indication that there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the developer. Having said that, we suggest reaching out to NBA support directly to report the issue and for further help. 

You can contact them here: https://support.watch.nba.com/hc/en-us

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos