Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canalside
Level 7

My Roku device won't stream anything from the Roku Channel, but other channels work fine.

My Roku device won't stream anything from the Roku Channel, but other channels work fine. Until today, everything on the Roku Channel worked fine. However, now when selecting the item to view, it simply keeps showing the selection. Everything that I try on the Roku Channel fails. Everything that I try on other channels works as expected.

My searches indicated that rebooting the Roku device might solve the problem. I think it did once, but not anymore. More searching indicated that deleting the channel and re-adding it might solve the problem. It didn't. We found a work around using both concepts.

I can usually get it to work by deleting the Roku Channel, rebooting the Roku device, and searching for the program that I want to watch which adds the channel and starts the program. Note: Simply adding the Roku Channel back and going to the program fails. If this process fails (e.g. one is given the program to click on rather than it automatically starting, which stays on the program selection icon) it will usually work by repeating the entire procedure. Additionally, it should be noted that even though the Roku Channel was deleted, it remembers which episode was the next one for me to watch.

To be specific, I have been watching the "24" series. The first 7 seasons and 17 episodes of season 8 worked fine. Season 8 episodes 18 on have the problem. However, the problem effects all programs on the Roku Channel.

I have a wireless connection from my router to the Roku device with the router sitting next to the Roku device. Signal strength is Excellent. The Roku device is connected to my TV via an HDMI cable set at 720p. The Internet download speed is Good (4Mbps).

Model: 3930X - Roku Express
Serial Number: X00400DYDGJC
Software version: 9.4.0 - build 4210-AE
Report ID: JC-151-981

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: My Roku device won't stream anything from the Roku Channel, but other channels work fine.

@Canalside 

Thanks for the post.

We would be happy to look into this issue for you. Can you please provide us the following information:
-what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Canalside
Level 7

Re: My Roku device won't stream anything from the Roku Channel, but other channels work fine.

My problem occurs on "The Roku Channel" Version 4.2 : build 3

When the problem occurs, I can select anything on the channel and it won't play.  Specifically, I've had the problem while trying to view:

24 Season 8 Episode 18

24 Season 8 Episode 19

24 Season 8 Episode 20

24 Season 8 Episode 21

24 Season 8 Episode 22

24 Season 8 Episode 23

24 Season 8 Episode 24

Sometimes, the problem goes away without my having to delete the channel, reboot my Roku device, and find the episode to watch.  I don't know how to predict when it will work and when it won't.  However for weeks, I never had the problem and now it occurs more often than not.

The good news is that I was able to see all of the 24 seasons and all episodes.  Fortunately, I just tried to watch a movie in the Roku Channel and when it didn't work, I found it in Tubi, which worked fine.  Since streaming is new to us, I have plenty of choices outside of the Roku Channel.  However, it would be nice if the problem could be fixed.

0 Kudos