Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
T18
Level 8

My Roku crashes after watching The Weather Channel for awhile

I have The Weather Channel app on my Roku and after a while of watching it, the video goes out and the Roku restarts. I noticed the Roku does get hot when this happens but it doesn't say it overheating on the screen. Roku Express (3900 series)  

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: My Roku crashes after watching The Weather Channel for awhile

@T18 

Thanks for the post.

There could be a variety of reason why you are experiencing what you are seeing.

We would first try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into a wall outlet or is it powered by the TV USB port?

In regards to overheating, it's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
WJD
Level 7

I am experiencing the same problem with a Roku Express 3900RW. The Roku crashes at about two hours of watching The Weather Channel. I have removed the channel, restarted the Roku and then reinstalled the channel. Now monitoring to see if the problem reoccurs. Software 9.4.0 Build 4190-51. 

0 Kudos
WJD
Level 7

In less than two hours, the Roku Express crashed again while watching The Weather Channel (Version 2.3 Build 0). I am not experiencing this problem on any other channel or my Roku Ultras.  

0 Kudos
EdSims
Level 7

I am also having the same issue with my 3800X V9.4.0. Will try deleting and re-adding the app.

EdSims
Level 7

Well, it's still crashing on the Weather Channel app.

T18
Level 8

its plugged in to my tv usb port

0 Kudos