Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
texaszman
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

OK - I know I'm missing something simple.

I'm running MyMedia on a Windows Homes Server box connected fine to my network, running MyMedia (Python installed in default dir, springboard.vbs used Ok to launch). My Videos are in D:\Shares\Video - music in D:\Shares\Music etc

I got the system setup, channel loaded on Roku and the menu selection boxes for Video, Music, Photos and Settings. When I choose Video or Music I get the following:

"Invalid URL. or improperly structured XML file.

http://192.168.1.200:8001/d:\shares/Videos/videos.xml.

Have played with the settings but can't figure out why I can't reach the directory. Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"texaszman" wrote:

"Invalid URL. or improperly structured XML file.

http://192.168.1.200:8001/d:\shares/Videos/videos.xml.

Where did that url come from? The My Media channel should never generate a url that looks like that. Are you sure you're running the My Media channel and not something else? That looks vaguely like the sort of url that one of the other personal media channels might generate.

Please verify that you can visit: http://localhost:8001/feed and navigate the folder structure to your music.
0 Kudos
texaszman
Visitor

Thanks el.wubo

Yes I can browse to http:/localhost:8001/feed and see my Music and Video directories just fine.

Just realized from your comment that I am incorrectly accessing MyMedia via the RoksBox Channel. However I do not see a MyMedia channel or feed. Trying to remove Roksbox - channel store says unavailable. Will keep trying.

Thanks for the reply... let me know what I've likely done wrong. Thanks!
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"texaszman" wrote:
Thanks el.wubo

Yes I can browse to http:/localhost:8001/feed and see my Music and Video directories just fine.

Just realized from your comment that I am incorrectly accessing MyMedia via the RoksBox Channel. However I do not see a MyMedia channel or feed. Trying to remove Roksbox - channel store says unavailable. Will keep trying.

Thanks for the reply... let me know what I've likely done wrong. Thanks!

No problem.

No need to remove RoksBox... MyMedia can coexist with it. Just click "install client" in springboard after you've put your Roku into developer mode. See the readme/installation guide for a more detailed writeup.
0 Kudos
texaszman
Visitor

Got i! Walked back through the install and MyMedia successfully installed. Was not paying attention - your reply put me on the right track. Very nice - thank you again!

texaszman
0 Kudos
texaszman
Visitor

OK - Now I've got a wild question.

I have a DLNA compliant NAS that I am starting to consolidate all my media on, instead of my WHS server where I have Python and MyMedia located on.

Question: Can I use MyMedia to stream content from the NAS to my ROKU? or does everything need to be on teh same box.

Obviously I am looking for the most elegant solution to get videos from my NAS to the ROKU..... (if possible). Thanks!
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"texaszman" wrote:
OK - Now I've got a wild question.

I have a DLNA compliant NAS that I am starting to consolidate all my media on, instead of my WHS server where I have Python and MyMedia located on.

Question: Can I use MyMedia to stream content from the NAS to my ROKU? or does everything need to be on teh same box.

Obviously I am looking for the most elegant solution to get videos from my NAS to the ROKU..... (if possible). Thanks!

Works fine on NAS shares, shared drives on other computers, etc

As long as you have absolute paths you will have no issue
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
texaszman
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pointing to what I think is the right address, but get an error that it cannot find the feed.

In vide_dir I have - \\NAS\server\DLNA\Media\Video\ for the directory my videos are located in.

My NAS has a static IP of 192.168.1.160, which I changed the server_ip field to, vs. the WHS server address of 192.168.1.200 I had in that field.

Can you see anything I have done wrong or missed? Thanks again.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"texaszman" wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I'm pointing to what I think is the right address, but get an error that it cannot find the feed.

In vide_dir I have - \\NAS\server\DLNA\Media\Video\ for the directory my videos are located in.

My NAS has a static IP of 192.168.1.160, which I changed the server_ip field to, vs. the WHS server address of 192.168.1.200 I had in that field.

Can you see anything I have done wrong or missed? Thanks again.

I have mine mounted as named drives - try that
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
texaszman
Visitor

That didn't work. I don't think the configuration is correct. Will keep trying - any help is welcomed!
0 Kudos