Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hammerpocket
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
Gcc is part of the developers tools osx package. When you install xcode and friends you will also get gcc.

If you don't mind installing xcode (it's on the osx dvd) then you can try the easy install command again and it will probably work.... long term we need to find a good pil binary distribution so that all our mac users don't have to install xcode.

Thanks! I've got photos working well now--soooooo much faster. I didn't realize that gcc was not part of the default install, so I installed the developer tools. However, that wasn't the only hurdle. I noticed in the PIL install that it listed jpeg support as "not available." So I found a binary for jpeglib and pnglib (combined) and installed that. I also ended up reinstalling PIL because I read that jpeglib had to be installed first for PIL to find it. (However I didn't try it first.)

Are you familiar with py2app? It's described as "a distutils extension which converts python scripts into executable Mac OS X applications, able to run without requiring an existing Python installation." I'm not a programmer, but that sounds to me like a possible solution to My Media installs on OS X for the masses.

EDIT: Here's a link to py2app documentation:
http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/ ... index.html
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"hammerpocket" wrote:

Thanks! I've got photos working well now--soooooo much faster. I didn't realize that gcc was not part of the default install, so I installed the developer tools. However, that wasn't the only hurdle. I noticed in the PIL install that it listed jpeg support as "not available." So I found a binary for jpeglib and pnglib (combined) and installed that. I also ended up reinstalling PIL because I read that jpeglib had to be installed first for PIL to find it. (However I didn't try it first.)

Any chance you'd be willing to write the HOWTO? I'd love to be able to include instructions for mac users when we make the dev release official.

"hammerpocket" wrote:

Are you familiar with py2app? It's described as "a distutils extension which converts python scripts into executable Mac OS X applications, able to run without requiring an existing Python installation." I'm not a programmer, but that sounds to me like a possible solution to My Media installs on OS X for the masses.

EDIT: Here's a link to py2app documentation:
http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/ ... index.html

Sweet. I didn't know there was a py2app. There's also a py2exe for windows users as well.
0 Kudos
jasonsf
Channel Surfer

Maybe someone can help me with this. I've got the server setup and the Roku sees the server. It loads in the folder structures but nothing loads. Pictures, music, etc. Folder structure but no media. When I look in the log file, I get something like this:

WARNING:root:SECURITY WARNING: Someone was trying to access ..\2010\2010-02-27\P1060627.JPG. The MyMedia client shouldn't do this

Is this a security issue? Does the python user need to have different security privileges? Anyone know what user this runs under?

I'm running this on Windows 7. The media is on a network drive shared as a windows drive letter.

Thanks-

Jason
0 Kudos
jasonsf
Channel Surfer

Another question- I have converted a few mpgs to h264/AAC. They play on my computer perfectly. When I play them through the MyMedia player on the Roku, the video is squished horizontally. I can't widen it to the proper aspect ratio using the TV's "wide" settings. Any ideas?

EDIT: I'm using ConvertVid and setting the frame size from "Original" to 640x480 works. Don't know why it didn't recognize the original format automatically.

Thanks again for this awesome tool!

Jason
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"jasonsf" wrote:
Maybe someone can help me with this. I've got the server setup and the Roku sees the server. It loads in the folder structures but nothing loads. Pictures, music, etc. Folder structure but no media. When I look in the log file, I get something like this:

WARNING:root:SECURITY WARNING: Someone was trying to access ..\2010\2010-02-27\P1060627.JPG. The MyMedia client shouldn't do this

Is this a security issue? Does the python user need to have different security privileges? Anyone know what user this runs under?

I'm running this on Windows 7. The media is on a network drive shared as a windows drive letter.

Thanks-

Jason

That's really interesting. Can you email me the log? (My email is in the readme)

You don't need to change the user that python runs as. I put in the security warning to alert you if someone was trying to trick MyMedia into serving files that weren't in your chosen media folders. It looks like the code that does the check may be confused by your particular setup so I want to take a look.

Note: Your configuration in springboard should use only absolute paths (ie, C:\blah\blah) not relative ones ( ..\blah ) which could trigger the security warning inappropriately.

Also, what version are you running? (the goofy characters on the end of the zip filename)
0 Kudos
jasonsf
Channel Surfer

"el.wubo" wrote:

That's really interesting. Can you email me the log? (My email is in the readme)

Email sent. Thanks for looking at it.

Jason
0 Kudos
DeftOne
Visitor

Is MyMedia doing any sort of scaling of the photos when it displays them on-screen during the slideshow? For some reason the quality of the photos seems to be significantly less than when viewing the same photos through the Flickr channel.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"DeftOne" wrote:
Is MyMedia doing any sort of scaling of the photos when it displays them on-screen during the slideshow? For some reason the quality of the photos seems to be significantly less than when viewing the same photos through the Flickr channel.

It is. Right now it's scaling only to SD resolution instead of HD. We will soon make it pick the right one for your television.

If you have an HD television and you want it to scale to HD you can open server/common.py and go to line 298.

Change

THB_DIM = THB_SD_DIM
FULL_DIM = FULL_SD_DIM

to be

THB_DIM = THB_HD_DIM
FULL_DIM = FULL_HD_DIM

Let me know if that looks comparable to flickr in your case.
0 Kudos
foliveri
Visitor

Does anyone have any instructions for loading this ON ubuntu 9.1. i am not a linux guy, but I got to fed up with windows, i loaded ubuntu and so far i like it. I have python loaded 2.6, i ran springboard ok and loaded the client to the roku. Tht problem I have is server side, i cannot even access it with 192.168.10.199:8001/feed

I am not sure why, i have looked around alot, but cannot find the answer.

thanks,

Fred
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"foliveri" wrote:
Does anyone have any instructions for loading this ON ubuntu 9.1. i am not a linux guy, but I got to fed up with windows, i loaded ubuntu and so far i like it. I have python loaded 2.6, i ran springboard ok and loaded the client to the roku. Tht problem I have is server side, i cannot even access it with 192.168.10.199:8001/feed

I am not sure why, i have looked around alot, but cannot find the answer.

thanks,

Fred

Great! That's the OS I do all my development in.

A few things to check:

Did you start the server (either by clicking start server in springboard or running "python rss_server.py")?

Is that IP address the IP address of the machine the server is running on? Alternatively you can use

http://localhost:8001/feed

Also, did you change the port number to be anything different?

Once the server is running do you see any errors reported to the console?
0 Kudos