Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgrace
Roku Guru

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

I've used .M3U playlists since very early on with MyMedia and they work fine. I use Playlist Creator (freeware) to make them but you could use it to open your iTunes files and possibly use that to troubleshoot things. Also, in my music file system I've created a folder on the Artist level called Playlists for these that way they exist alongside the music files and make selecting them easy. Mine are genre related so it seemed to make more sense to me.
One nice feature is that any files not found are highlighted in the program to help remedy the situation (usually happens after I've changed some naming convention in the folder the tune lives in).
I wanted to post a screen shot but cannot find the instructions or even if I have the permission to do so.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

I've spent a bunch of time recently trying to figure out where in the recently added album the lyrics were hidden. I removed all tags and repalced them and still lyrics replaced the album art on screen. I then removed all tags from the new album and typed them in by hand, and still getting lyrics. Today I had a notion that maybe MyMedia was now retrieving lyrics and I selected a different album and there are lyrics where there never were before. I don't remember seeing a list of updates recently, other than the ability to search. Are there any other secret and hidden updates in the beta version? Is there a way to revert back to album art?
FZ
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I was working on the lyric thing for myself and decided to throw it in when I added the search. Just press Ok/Select to get back to the album art.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
frazelle09
Visitor

Was using this wonderful server just fine until i installed a new hd. Am running PCLinuxOS-2012-12 and still have my /home partition and directories and files. i run "python" and i appears i have python installed.

This is the error i get

frazelle09@localhost server]$ python mymedia.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "mymedia.py", line 1121, in <module>
ensure_configuration(config)
File "/home/frazelle09/Documents/Fred/MediaServer/server/common.py", line 37, in ensure_configuration
ensure("server_ip", socket.gethostbyname(socket.gethostname()))
socket.gaierror: [Errno -5] No address associated with hostname

i've been at this for hours - i even mistakenly enabled the Plex server as well! but MyMedia is still out in limbo somewhere.

Below is a copy of my config file...

[config]
music_dir = /home/frazelle09/Documents/Musica
video_dir = /home/frazelle09/moviesseries
collapse_collections = False
server_port = 8001
roku_ip = ROKU IP ADDRESS
max_folders_before_split = 10
theme = default
python_path = /usr/bin/python
server_ip = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
server_port = 8001
photo_dir = /home/frazelle09/Documents/Photos
regid = xxxx

What to do? Any help would be really appreciated. Have a great evening! 🙂
"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
............................................Bahá'u'lláh...........................................
"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
0 Kudos
renojim

The same problem was briefly discussed on page 114 of the thread. Restating what xwin explained here, make sure the hostname command prints out something meaningful. You may have to add an entry to your hosts file.

-JT

0 Kudos
frazelle09
Visitor

renojim!

Thanks for replying! i ran the hostname command and get the correct "LaGrandota". i checked the hosts file (i'm running Linux, as i mentioned), and it has the 127.0.0.1 address related to this hostname. i usually used the Network address for the Server IP, but i see that now, when it doesn't work, some sort of default address comes up, which is the same as my hosts (127.0.0.1), so,

i'm still at a loss as to how to proceed.

What else should i check? Have a wonderful evening! 🙂
............................................Bahá'u'lláh...........................................
0 Kudos
renojim

You want the real, local, IP address of your server machine. That 127.0.0.1 number isn't it. The real IP address is the one assigned by your router and should be something like 192.168.1.xxx or 10.1.1.xxx (it could have .0's instead of .1's). You should be able to get the local IP address with the ifconfig command.

You'll need to add an entry to your /etc/hosts file so that your hostname, LaGrandota, gets resolved to the IP address assigned by your router. The /etc/hosts file is just a text file and probably already has an entry like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost

Just edit it with your favorite text editor and add a line for your hostname (the name printed out by the hostname command), e.g.:
192.168.1.100 LaGrandota

I'm traveling right now and don't have easy access to a Unix machine, so I hope the above is accurate.

-JT

0 Kudos
frazelle09
Visitor

renojim--

Thank you very much for your very explicit, helping hand. i had sort of considered that approach, but i kept thinking that that entry should be somehow automatically generated. i wonder what's going on.

Anyway, thanks again. That was the perfect solution - opened my Krusader in root mode, zipped over to /etc/hosts, edited the file and added the line, saved it, went into the bedroom, turned on the tv, changed to Roku and MyMedia, typed in the address (again!) and Bingo!, there they were!

Thanks again for your help and have a wonderful morning! 🙂
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
I was working on the lyric thing for myself and decided to throw it in when I added the search. Just press Ok/Select to get back to the album art.

-JT

That makes the album art come back until the next MP3 comes up. Can a toggle be added next time? Nice to be able to see lyrics when desired though. I've never been able to understand Stevie Nicks or Tom Petty.
FZ
0 Kudos
renojim

Yes, I thought about adding a setting for lyrics on/off. I have to revamp the whole settings screen and/or the selections on the song info screen.

+1 on Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty! Smiley LOL

-JT

0 Kudos