Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"bpwwer" wrote:
I spent a lot of time ripping the client code apart, separating it into multiple files and consolidating common code into functions.

I'd love to rewrite the client code from scratch, but I sincerely doubt I'll ever find the time to do that. However, to be honest, I've never liked the idea, or seen the benefit, of having a million files for one project. I waste more time switching between files and trying to remember which file holds the function I'm interested in. I know the way I do things isn't considered good practice, but it works for me.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
bpwwer
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
"bpwwer" wrote:
I spent a lot of time ripping the client code apart, separating it into multiple files and consolidating common code into functions.

I'd love to rewrite the client code from scratch, but I sincerely doubt I'll ever find the time to do that. However, to be honest, I've never liked the idea, or seen the benefit, of having a million files for one project. I waste more time switching between files and trying to remember which file holds the function I'm interested in. I know the way I do things isn't considered good practice, but it works for me.

-JT

I certainly wasn't trying to dis the code. I'm very grateful that it exist and is available in source form so that it can be modified. My re-organization made it easier for me to understand and modify. And it's not a million files 🙂 I've posted just the client source here: http://www.bobshome.net/Roku/MyMedia/ in case it is of any use to anyone else. I didn't make any changes to the server code at all (I think I'm using the 2.0 beta) so this should build and run with an existing server setup. The differences in this version:

- Accepts a launch parameter with a playlist feed URL. It will jump to the playlist code and start playing from the URL when launched.
- Added support for the ECP input command so that new feed URL's can be sent at runtime. Only tested with playlist feed URLs.
- A new settings screen that looks and acts more like the standard Roku setting screen. I did this to add a new setting and before I realized that there's an existing screen type for this.
- A new setting for shuffle default.
- Removed the shuffle posters
- Added an option to the springboard screens to turn shuffle on/off interactively.

I did try some movies and photos and they worked, but my main goal was to use this for music playback so there's a high probability that I broke something in those.
-- Bob --
[url]http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYai/[/url]
0 Kudos
thedude
Visitor

is this where to post questions about mymedia server?

got it all working ok

since music can be played from Personal MyMedia Server page AND Change Server Settings can be accessed

is anyone thinking of password protecting Change Server Settings?

thanks
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
"dgrace" wrote:
I didn't load the MyMedia directly via download etc., so does that mean it'll update itself when needed? I took the easy way out thinking it would. Should I also be updating the files on my PC from your links? I have everything working fine, but don't want to miss out on any enhancements.

The problem is, and always has been, it's not unusual for an update to the channel to require an update to the server. Updating the private channel is easy; updating the server not so much. Generally server updates only require updating mymedia.py and/or common.py, so it seems kind of dumb to download the whole server package for minor updates.

If you want the latest and greatest, try the 2.0 beta if you haven't already. I don't think it's changed since I first released it. It requires an updated server (just the two files mentioned).

-JT

OK. To walk myself through the steps. I'd want to remove the channel from my roku channels list. Down load the server (load that to the Roku via the web interface) and the other two files (replacing those on my PC). Register the app, set up file locations and IP. Simple (?).
Everything has been working so well, so worried I'll mess things up, but don't want to miss out on any new features, updates.
Thanks
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
renojim

Yep, it's just that simple! Smiley LOL You can save yourself a little time if you save your config.ini and copy it to the new server location. You could have both the old channel and the 2.0 beta channel, but there's not much sense in that.

-JT

0 Kudos
castalla
Visitor

.... pity that the 'modified' server doesn't allow for switching off the looping function!!!
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
Yep, it's just that simple! Smiley LOL You can save yourself a little time if you save your config.ini and copy it to the new server location. You could have both the old channel and the 2.0 beta channel, but there's not much sense in that.

-JT

So, not without a stumble and I'm still not certain, even though it's working, if I've got the latest. Once I went into the channel store and removed mymedia I thought I had to manually browse to and upload files to my roku. Found no instructions to do so, instead only to load server files to pc and use spring board to load the client. Got nothing. Read more instructions and it sounded like I had to go back to the website and load mymedia from roku. I saw to use mymediabeta as the registration, but the TV screen gave me something else. So.....I've looked for the old instructions that I tried a LONG time ago when I gave up and loaded via Channel Store.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
renojim

"castalla" wrote:
.... pity that the 'modified' server doesn't allow for switching off the looping function!!!

That's a client (channel) function, not a server function.

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"dgrace" wrote:
So, not without a stumble and I'm still not certain, even though it's working, if I've got the latest. Once I went into the channel store and removed mymedia I thought I had to manually browse to and upload files to my roku. Found no instructions to do so, instead only to load server files to pc and use spring board to load the client. Got nothing.

I think you're confused because of the old way of side-loading the channel using Springboard.py. That's no longer necessary.

"dgrace" wrote:
Read more instructions and it sounded like I had to go back to the website and load mymedia from roku. I saw to use mymediabeta as the registration, but the TV screen gave me something else.

It looks like you're confusing the private channel code, mymediabeta, with the registration process. Add the 2.0 beta using the mymediabeta channel code - https://owner.roku.com/add/mymediabeta
When you start the channel (which should show "beta" in its title), it will go through the registration process, which is just an automated way of getting the server's IP address to the client. If you already know it, you can skip the registration process and just go into the channel settings and enter it manually.

"dgrace" wrote:
So.....I've looked for the old instructions that I tried a LONG time ago when I gave up and loaded via Channel Store.

It sounds like you may have the new server but old channel.

-JT

0 Kudos
castalla
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
"castalla" wrote:

That's a client (channel) function, not a server function.

-JT

Oh ... whatever ... it would be a nice feature wherever it's located!!!
0 Kudos