Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Hmm... and that was browsing from a different machine so it's not a firewall issue? Make sure the server that's stored in the channel's settings is what you think it should be.

The "connection was lost" message means that the channel put in a request to the server and got back nothing (or that it got back some sort of corrupted response, but that's very unlikely). The next troubleshooting step I'd take is to compare the messages output by the server as well as those written to my_media_log.txt when you run the channel and when you use a browser. You may want to delete or rename the log file (I think you need to stop the server to do that) before each test.

If nothing obvious appears from that test, we may have to resort to more drastic debugging.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Kevin108
Visitor

I wiped everything out and started over and this time everything worked great. Of all my movies, I'm only able to get 1 to stream. Others show up, buffer and then crash back to the menu. Thanks for your help so far! Any ideas on the playback issue?

Just trying to get a Roku LT to do a little more than it was designed for.
0 Kudos
renojim

Often when a video starts to load and then doesn't play it's a problem with the audio. In this case, it's probably the 5.1 AAC audio. I believe 5.1 is only supported with AC3 passthrough. You can try to change your audio mode to "5.1 surround" in the main Roku settings to see if it makes a difference.

-JT

0 Kudos
Kevin108
Visitor

Still no luck after changing the settings. I will try downmixing the file to stereo as I don't actually have surround sound anywhere yet.

*Update* I downmixed a movie to stereo but now I'm back to my original problem. :x

I'm in the process of setting up a dual-boot arrangement so my wife can have her Windows. I'll work on this some more later.
Just trying to get a Roku LT to do a little more than it was designed for.
0 Kudos
burtojo4
Visitor

On Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:29 pm renojim said:

You do know that naming a JPEG with the same name as the video will get that image to be displayed for the video, right?

Ehrr?? What's the size requirement on that jpg? That would be OSoKewl.... (at least make momma happy that she can watch her fav movies on the roku...)

Thanks!
0 Kudos
renojim

They will be scaled automatically, but there's really no sense in making them larger than 300x300.

-JT

0 Kudos
stioc
Visitor

New guy here with a quick question. If I already have a webserver running (Apache, IIS, Mongoose etc) can I simply browse the dir structure from the MyMedia client/channel on the Roku? I don't care for all the bells and whistles of yet another media server, just as long as I can stream videos from my PC. In theory I don't see why not but before I go through the trouble of finding out myself I figured I'd get the answer right from the source Smiley LOL
0 Kudos
renojim

No, it only works with the Python server. If you want to use the server you already have, you'll want to look into Roksbox.

-JT

0 Kudos
stioc
Visitor

RenoJim, thanks for the quick reply. Bummer! I've tried Roksbox but it's now a paid product, still not bad but I'm a tinkerer and a minimalist so I was hoping there was as generic channel that could stream from any http server. Since I've done a lot of programming in the past and might download the SDK from Roku can you let me know why it doesn't work with any generic http server? Seems like a lot of setup issues and complaints would disappear if it could like Roksbox. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
renojim

The Python code does more than just serve the files. When el.wubo started this project I believe he had bigger plans for the server than just using it with the myMedia channel. I've never used Roksbox, but I believe to get the most out of it you have to generate XML files for your music/movie collection and we didn't want go that route. I believe setting up the myMedia server is easier than setting up an Apache or Mongoose server, but if you already have one of those set up then I can see why you might wonder why it's necessary to have another server.

-JT

0 Kudos