Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

i know this probably has been asked many many times, i followed the step by step instructions and got it to find my server. ( i know this because i tried to switch it, and it then said can not find server, so i switched it back)

at any-rate whenever i try to click on my music or whatever it is, it says
"no media items retrived. is the media path set correctly? does the selected path contain playable files?

i used the standard paths they had
C:\Users\Donna\My Documents\My Music
C:\Users\Donna\My Documents\My Videos

i don't know what i am doing wrong

the file i was just trying to play as a music file was just a sample file i had gotten
it was a .wma
I Guess You're Right.wma

please email me jake@student.com

i really want to get this to work, as wlel as the streaming part, and what you are currently watching.

thank you so much!
0 Kudos
jambalaya
Channel Surfer

JT - Just letting you know I had a stab at editing mymedia.py and common.py to include .m4a support, with success. The changes are very minimal (does not try to parse album/artist or song length), but at least now the unprotected iTunes music purchases play so I am all set. No need to incorporate into the main release if no one else cares about iTunes m4a support, but just FYI these are the changes I made (the code locations should be obvious) -

In mymedia.py, add:

elif ext == ".m4a":
# use the filename as the title

basename = os.path.split(fname)[1]
title = os.path.splitext(basename)[0]

description = "Music"
filetype = "mp4"
ContentType = "audio"

In mymedia.py, change:

media_re = re.compile("\.m3u|.m3u8|\.mp3|\.wma|\.m4a|\.m4v|\.mp4|\.mov|\.wmv|\.jpg|\.jpeg|\.png|\.gif")

In common.py, add:

elif ext == "m4a":
return "audio/mp4"

In common.py, change:

def is_music(path):
return ext2mime(path) in ("audio/mpeg", "audio/mp4", "audio/x-ms-wma", "audio/x-mpegurl")

Cheers
JB
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Good job! I was going to give that a shot, but I don't use iTunes and don't have any .m4a files. So the audio player will play MP4s? That's interesting (and undocumented). I'm still (for several months now) finalizing the 2.0 beta, so I may as well add it.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

I just blogged about the setup on a pogoplug & using an android remote controll app

http://rich-blog.blogspot.com/2011/12/r ... droid.html
0 Kudos
renojim

Nice! Keep in mind that Python 2.7 may cause problems. I use a Seagate Dockstar, which is a clone of one of the Pogoplugs, and I love it. I just scored a 1TB WD My Book Live for cheap, so my next project will be getting MyMedia to work on it.

-JT

0 Kudos
jimcampbell100
Channel Surfer

Hello,

Great program!

I've successfully set it up on a QNAP TS-219P, but moving through the menu is very slow, particularly when trying to select a video to play. I've checked and I do have PIL installed, and it does look like it is being used as the log file shows "scaling the image" in many places. I'm using PIL 1.1.7-1 and python 2.6.7.

Watching top while using this on the Roku shows that I'm not killing the cpu (which I expected)...any chance I may just has something else mis-configured?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
renojim

Every once in a while someone will report slow navigation and it's always been tough to track down what the problem is. I can say that it should be very snappy. Could you give the 2.0 beta a try to see if it makes a difference?

Thanks,
-JT

0 Kudos
jimcampbell100
Channel Surfer

No, that didn't seem to make a difference. Still seems exactly the same, unfortunately.
0 Kudos
renojim

That is unfortunate. It shouldn't matter, but are you using your own images for your videos or do you just have the generic image? Also, how many videos do you have in your directory?

One thing to check is to see if PIL is actually working. Browse to:
http://192.168.1.2:8001/media?name=images/folder_square.jpg&key=client
and you should see the JPEG of the folder image and if you check the properties the dimensions should be 533x533.

Now add a resolution to the end:
http://192.168.1.2:8001/media?name=images/folder_square.jpg&key=client&res=300,300
and the image should be scaled to 300x300.

Of course, replace 192.168.1.2 with the IP of your NAS.

-JT

0 Kudos
jimcampbell100
Channel Surfer

Interesting. I point to that URL, and it just says "None".

I see the images directory and file you reference when I browse the client directory on the NAS.

Let me ask in case I'm doing something wrong - to install I just copied the entire contents of you zip to a directory on my NAS. From the command line I then execute the mymedia.py in the server directory. Anything else I need to do?

To answer your question, my directories are setup as one top level Videos directory, with about 40 sub-directories, each with one movie each. There are a few images in each, front and back cover of the DVD case, for example.

Thanks again for the help!
0 Kudos